Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I have 2 questions: Do you think that Satan controls all non-Christians? I need advice. What are your thoughts regarding my first question?

Question: "How is Satan god of this world (2 Corinthians 4:4)?"

Answer:
The phrase “god of this world” (or “god of this age”) indicates that Satan is the major influence on the ideals, opinions, goals, hopes and views of the majority of people. His influence also encompasses the world’s philosophies, education, and commerce. The thoughts, ideas, speculations and false religions of the world are under his control and have sprung from his lies and deceptions.

My second question is this - Should I distance myself from my Hindu friend because he looks down on me and seems to be contemptuous of me?

I have a Hindu/Indian friend that I have known for the past 23 years. We attended the same middle school and high school.

He is a medical doctor now, and I am an unemployed man. I receive X amount of dollars every month from the government for my clinical depression.

I am NOT content to be "on the public dole."

I am NOT content to be on welfare.

I am NOT content to be receiving "public handouts"

My friend looks down on me because I am not earning money and because I spent most of my time at home.

Things that my friend says:

These are the prime years of your life (We are in our mid 30s). You should be earning a lot of money and you should be saving up for retirement. Instead, you are at home masturbating.

(I am not actually masturbating. My "friend" just enjoys mocking me and my situation)

When I tell my friend that he and I have different values in life, he adamantly refuses to acknowledge that my personal values might also be good values.

When I tell him, "You and I just have different values in life," his response is "What I am telling you is FACT. Right now, you should be earning a lot of money and you should be saving up for retirement. Instead, you are at home masturbating."

When I tell my friend that my father is verbally abusive to me, my friend's response is - "Of course your father is upset with you. You are lazy and you are doing nothing all day long."

My friend always sides with my verbally abusive father....

Should I distance myself from my friend because he looks down on me and because he seems to have contempt for me?

Last edited:

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others

These are the prime years of your life (We are in our mid 30s). You should be earning a lot of money and you should be saving up for retirement. Instead, you are at home masturbating.
yes cut ties asap, such "friends" are toxic, making you feel worse

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Thank you for your opinion
I'm actually in the process of re-assessing some of my own friendships. One friend I've known for 20 years. But he has grown rich whilst I have remained average to poor. I notice our recent conversations, he dominates them showing no interest in what I have to say. I deliberately ignore him now.
Some will say that is Unchristian. I disagree. His values are now different to mine. Isnt there something in scripture about choosing Christ will divide family and friend? Well I think it applies to me anyway.
You cant be friends with people who don't respect you. You need to have similar values at least.

Upvote 0

Korean-American Christian

raised Presbyterian. member of the Nazarene Church
Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I'm actually in the process of re-assessing some of my own friendships. One friend I've known for 20 years. But he has grown rich whilst I have remained average to poor. I notice our recent conversations, he dominates them showing no interest in what I have to say. I deliberately ignore him now.
Some will say that is Unchristian. I disagree. His values are now different to mine. Isnt there something in scripture about choosing Christ will divide family and friend? Well I think it applies to me anyway.
You cant be friends with people who don't respect you. You need to have similar values at least.

2 Corinthians 6:14 New International Version
Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?

Upvote 0

Lord'sWarrior

Jan 14, 2017
Resi
✟24,557.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Philippians 3
7But whatever was an asset to me, I count as loss for the sake of Christ. 8More than that, I count all things as losscompared to the surpassing excellence of knowing ChristJesus my Lord, for whom I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ 9and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God on the basis of faith.

I also have a mental issue, a little worse than yours if it could be compared.
I have lost all friends. Some deserted me others I said what I think of them to them and lost them. I know they got hurt, probably, but they also used to say dismissive things. So I consider all things lost just to gain Christ. I am at my mid 30s too, and spend time always at home. The world doesn't have pity on us. Their god is their belly. Courage! Pray and keep strong!

Upvote 0

Lord'sWarrior

Jan 14, 2017
Resi
✟24,557.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm not saying that you should say whatever comes to your mind to them, as I said, because later I had to ask for forgiveness. He who thinks is spiritual and doesn't control what he says is deceiving himself. Probably you feel lonely and don't want to lose your friend and your father being abusive of you is hard. The ones you love the most are the ones that hurt you. What hard is truth and what is truth is much too hard. Probably you feel you don't have no one. But have hope. Pray what you can. Sometimes it's too dark to pray but have faith and courage. Your a son of God and He loves you. Be pacient.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have a Hindu/Indian friend that I have known for the past 23 years. We attended the same middle school and high school.

He is a medical doctor now, and I am an unemployed man. I receive X amount of dollars every month from the government for my clinical depression.

My friend looks down on me because I am not earning money and because I spent most of my time at home.

My question is this - Should I distance myself from my Hindu friend because he looks down on me and seems to be contemptuous of me?

When I tell my friend that he and I have different values in life, he adamantly refuses to acknowledge that my personal values might also be good values.

When I tell him, "You and I just have different values in life," his response is "What I am telling you is FACT. Right now, you should be earning a lot of money and you should be saving up for retirement. Instead, you are at home masturbating."

When I tell my friend that my father is verbally abusive to me, my friend's response is - "Of course your father is upset with you. You are lazy and you are doing nothing all day long."

My friend always sides with my verbally abusive father....

Should I distance myself from my friend because he looks down on me and because he seems to have contempt for me?

Not helping others is quite depressing.
You should change that. Help enough
people and eventually somebody will
pay you for your effort.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
What I am telling you is FACT. Right now, you should be earning a lot of money and you should be saving up for retirement. Instead, you are at home masturbating."
If someone is talking to you like this, it is abuse!
You have to stop the abuse or it will continue. it is not a simple matter of "forgive and move on". This guy doesn't get it. KA needs and deserves better people around him. Not this pathetic individidual who has no idea the level of suffering KA went through!!

Upvote 0

Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
yeah you should separate from this guy and find yourself a friend.

and if you really are at home masturbating, you need to stop.

I am not really masturbating....my toxic "friend" just likes to make fun of the fact that I am unemployed

Upvote 0

GeorgeJ

<Insert Custom Title Here>
Jul 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟70,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
If you've got a friend like that, dump him. Why do need to ask us what you should do? You're old enough that you should be able to make some decisions yourself. Seems to me it's plain ole' common sense. Quit associating with him.......it's that simple!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I am not really masturbating
:) sorry, it is easy to get side-tracked in this.
Its just an expression used by "tough guys" who are "really making a big impact on the secular world" (sarcasm emoji) and need to make you look small in order to sound big themselves

• Agree
Reactions: Ygrene Imref
Upvote 0

Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
If someone is talking to you like this, it is abuse!
You have to stop the abuse or it will continue. it is not a simple matter of "forgive and move on". This guy doesn't get it. KA needs and deserves better people around him. Not this pathetic individidual who has no idea the level of suffering KA went through!!

My friend doesn't truly understand the level of suffering that I have experienced.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.