Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Just to throw a spanner in the works, I would probably take your friend's perspective over the msm and medical profession narrative.
There are far too many obvious lies and contradictions being spouted by those in authority for it to be believable.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟471,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
as they're literally gateway drugs to even more dangerous things.

Only if you accept them uncritically. If you consider the source of a work, the motivations of the author, and its context and impact on the world, it cannot seduce you. I can (and have) read, with a forensic mentality, Mein Kampf, without fear that it would turn me into a Nazi; on the contrary, it not only reaffirmed my belief in the evil nature of Hitler, but it also helped me to understand the chilling way in which he persuaded people to adopt his hate-filled philosophy.

A book can be a gateway drug only when people are prepared to accept it uncritically and without consideration of the author or the context in which it was written.

Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Only if you accept them uncritically. If you consider the source of a work, the motivations of the author, and its context and impact on the world, it cannot seduce you. I can (and have) read, with a forensic mentality, Mein Kampf, without fear that it would turn me into a Nazi; on the contrary, it not only reaffirmed my belief in the evil nature of Hitler, but it also helped me to understand the chilling way in which he persuaded people to adopt his hate-filled philosophy.

A book can be a gateway drug only when people are prepared to accept it uncritically and without consideration of the author or the context in which it was written.
Agreed.
For millions, listening to the mainstream media has been a gateway drug, especially where this pandemic is concerned.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

WDSobieski

Remember you're still loved!
Mar 25, 2020
Hessen
✟26,485.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
(emphasis added by me)

you, a Christian, have a close friend, and you don't know if she is a Christian? shouldn't this have been the first thing to find out before allowing yourself to think of her as a close friend? if she doesn't talk about her faith in God, then you have no reason to believe that she is a Christian, do you? remember, 'by their fruits ye shall know them' (Mat 7:15-20).

so if you assume that she is not reborn in Christ, the next question is whether you should withdraw from her out of fear of being infected by her wrong thinking (more deadly than any disease including covid), or give God a chance to speak to her through you - but not so much about covid; but about becoming a daughter of God and receiving eternal life. remember, you are the one with Almighty God protecting your back, not her; and He's given you armor and a weapon (the Word of God) to fight off the devil as you spread the Good News of salvation (armor that she likely does not have):

(Eph 6:10) Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
(Eph 6:11) Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
(Eph 6:12) For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
(Eph 6:13) Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
(Eph 6:14) Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
(Eph 6:15) And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
(Eph 6:16) Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
(Eph 6:17) And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
(Eph 6:18) Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
(Eph 6:19) And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,
(Eph 6:20) For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.
(emphsis added my me)

Praying...for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,...that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.
(disciplehelovestoo translation of verses 18-20)

for now; put aside covid, and your own fears of her potentially bad influence on you (you've got armor and the most powerful weapon in the universe to protect you from that); she needs to hear the Gospel, not arguments about whether covid exists - hell is a greater danger to her. remember; God doesn't have anyone in a flesh body on this earth right now who is qualified for Him to speak through; so He has to use someone who is willing and available... :)
She actually mentioned she's Catholic and from a quite religious household, yet to be frank we both aren't the most religious folks at all. The issue is how she got addicted to this mindset, which is both dangerous (just imagine her family at her house and neighbours!) and selfish. Before Covid she was a very nice, optimistic person and I actually wished her, as a friend, not persuading others in her worldview or being too obsessed with it, as it was... I mean unexpected and miserable to see a friend turning to such views.

Agree wholeheartedly with you've mentioned on coping with fears and so on, which is coincidentally something similar I've heard from a livestream sermon last week. On the other hand there might be a problem of her clinging on her old habits (her old self) and not accepting how the pandemic has changed everything, like no mass parties, barbecues with 50-sth people and so on. Just take the example of banning alcohol in public places and curfews, people tend to get extremely rowdy when they're getting too high, also addiction is unfortunately everywhere. Regardless of views the pandemic is a good time to reflect on life (some of my friends lost their friends and family from Covid), the priorities and also health. On a more positive side many people are now less egoistic ignoring the needs of their neighbours, communities or everyone around. However, selfish people are still roaming around in huge numbers.

Upvote 0

WDSobieski

Remember you're still loved!
Mar 25, 2020
Hessen
✟26,485.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
She actually mentioned she's Catholic and from a quite religious household, yet to be frank we both aren't the most religious folks at all. The issue is how she got addicted to this mindset, which is both dangerous (just imagine her family at her house and neighbours!) and selfish. Before Covid she was a very nice, optimistic person and I actually wished her, as a friend, not persuading others in her worldview or being too obsessed with it, as it was... I mean unexpected and miserable to see a friend turning to such views.

Agree wholeheartedly with you've mentioned on coping with fears and so on, which is coincidentally something similar I've heard from a livestream sermon last week. On the other hand there might be a problem of her clinging on her old habits (her old self) and not accepting how the pandemic has changed everything, like no mass parties, barbecues with 50-sth people and so on. Just take the example of banning alcohol in public places and curfews, people tend to get extremely rowdy when they're getting too high, also addiction is unfortunately everywhere. Regardless of views the pandemic is a good time to reflect on life (some of my friends lost their friends and family from Covid), the priorities and also health. On a more positive side many people are now less egoistic ignoring the needs of their neighbours, communities or everyone around. However, selfish people are still roaming around in huge numbers.

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
A close friend of mine is living in one of the riskiest areas (also very densely populated) where there's already a curfew during night hours. However even as late as September and as of today she still doesn't take the pandemic seriously and still insists the virus being fake. The most worrying part is she asked me joining a weird "news" channel which she claimed being the uncensored truth, as well as saying she was well-informed after watching several shady YouTube videos (on the other hand there're already lots of mythbuster videos around) which contain crazy conspiracy theories. As we often meet due to work or studies, it's indeed (even virtually) inevitable interacting her. Now I'm rather conflicted about how to deal with these relationships without being a jerk and also her mindset of her feeling entitled or superior for holding fringe (and potentially dangerous) views? While we know our mutual friends well and they're all rational, careful folks, I just don't know what kind of people she hangs out with, and where she got these views from.

The worst part of people breeching these rules or not wearing masks is not only they're risking themselves, they're also very selfish folks using freedom as their excuses.

Edit and PS: To prevent misunderstandings I didn't got persuaded and dare clicking into these links, as they're literally gateway drugs to even more dangerous things. We used to get along very well and many of our mutual friends knew nothing about her, and she literally became another person after COVID.
The lockdowns, social distancing and masks are killing more than Coronavirus. The psychological damage being done by government is astounding. That Christians go along with this without ever considering the danger indicates the church no longer encourages thinking.

This is from the UK, it makes solid arguments against lockdowns, social distancing and masks. The Lockdown Lobotomy | Patrick Fagan | The Critic Magazine

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟821,361.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just to throw a spanner in the works, I would probably take your friend's perspective over the msm and medical profession narrative.
There are far too many obvious lies and contradictions being spouted by those in authority for it to be believable.

Right and my uncle died of a cold. CV19 is real enough and the UK and USA have been a total shambles in their response because of "freethinkers" like yourself. Hence the high death rate in both countries compared to for example Germany where this was taken more seriously.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟821,361.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The lockdowns, social distancing and masks are killing more than Coronavirus. The psychological damage being done by government is astounding. That Christians go along with this without ever considering the danger indicates the church no longer encourages thinking.

This is from the UK, it makes solid arguments against lockdowns, social distancing and masks. The Lockdown Lobotomy | Patrick Fagan | The Critic Magazine

The issue in the UK is that too many people are openly flouting the rules and so this thing drags on longer than it needs to and lockdowns need to be repeated to consolidate their effects.

• Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The issue in the UK is that too many people are openly flouting the rules and so this thing drags on longer than it needs to and lockdowns need to be repeated to consolidate their effects.
Casesnare up all over the world. It's hardly unique to the UK.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟821,361.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A close friend of mine is living in one of the riskiest areas (also very densely populated) where there's already a curfew during night hours. However even as late as September and as of today she still doesn't take the pandemic seriously and still insists the virus being fake. The most worrying part is she asked me joining a weird "news" channel which she claimed being the uncensored truth, as well as saying she was well-informed after watching several shady YouTube videos (on the other hand there're already lots of mythbuster videos around) which contain crazy conspiracy theories. As we often meet due to work or studies, it's indeed (even virtually) inevitable interacting her. Now I'm rather conflicted about how to deal with these relationships without being a jerk and also her mindset of her feeling entitled or superior for holding fringe (and potentially dangerous) views? While we know our mutual friends well and they're all rational, careful folks, I just don't know what kind of people she hangs out with, and where she got these views from.

The worst part of people breeching these rules or not wearing masks is not only they're risking themselves, they're also very selfish folks using freedom as their excuses.

Edit and PS: To prevent misunderstandings I didn't got persuaded and dare clicking into these links, as they're literally gateway drugs to even more dangerous things. We used to get along very well and many of our mutual friends knew nothing about her, and she literally became another person after COVID.

I emphasise with you, my brother thinks the same as your friend. It is hard to reach people who can no longer distinguish between what is an abuse of power and of when the government is right and acting for the common good. I blame a cult of individualism for the lack of social discipline and cohesion that has so severely impacted the responses of the USA and UK to this crisis.

Upvote 0

Thomas White

Feb 9, 2020
Stockbridge
✟79,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married

Three steps:

1.) Pray for her.
2.) Tell her about Jesus.
3.) Repeat.

When she sees Christ and accepts Him, she will change. Right now, she's missing something. Those conspiracy theories make her feel like she is part of something. It's an unfortunately common psychosis, usually triggered by something. She wouldn't be the first person triggered by COVID.

You aren't going to be able to change her mind or fill that void. You can share the Gospel with her.

• Winner
Reactions: WDSobieski
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,008.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
It's probably not useful to engage on Covid. I would politely refuse to discuss it. There's been some work done on the psychology of vaccine opposition. Supplying more facts just makes them dig in. I'd assume the same would be true here. The problem with conspiracy theory is that every attempt to deal is interpreted as part of the conspiracy, and reinforces it. About all you can do is remain a friend and do your best to provide sanity.

I wish we had an answer to this. In many ways the rejection of evidence-based beliefs is our biggest national problem.

Upvote 0

ChristianK

Jul 25, 2020
Georgia
✟3,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Its strange how the media can convince people that a mask you buy from a gas station can save you from a virus, when the manufacturer clearly states that it is not for medical use. It can't even stop bacteria which is larger than a virus.
I always wondered why nobody I know got sick, no one from my relatives mega churches got sick, no one from John MacArthur's massive church got sick... even after my area only adopted masks in only CERTAIN shopping centers in the summer, half a year after the "pandemic"...
... yet all the key political figures and celebs got "infected". lol Nick Saban.
Then you find out that all these horrifying crazy complications that are implied to be unique to covid are shared by dozens of other diseases.
Then you start reading about how all those millions of "cases" don't require a test.
Then you find out the tests are 90% unreliable and the PCR test shouldn't be used as a diagnostic tool from the creator Mullis and can show a positive result for anyone depending on how many cycles are run.
Then you find out "conservative" Republicans are trying to dump trillions of dollars of funny money into the economy.
Then you find out that all the economists are predicting a dollar collapse because of all the funny money and massive inflation.
Then you find out the World Economic Forum wants a "Great Reset", who partnered with Bill Gates to stage a "pandemic" exercise called Event 201, one month before the actual "pandemic" hit, and they all have official websites. Then you find out that they want to implement RFID health passports, along with the Central Bank Digitial Currency CDBC.
Seems a bit drastic to go from a society where people are living life exactly as they did in 2019, to having international organizations advocating for RFID chips and a cashless society where none can buy or sell without digits.
Or maybe its just smoke and mirrors behind the greatest depression we will ever see.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I did a brief search in two search engines for articles using the search string, “full hospitals COVID.“ A hospital in Coeur D’alene, ID is full. The University of Utah hospital has 100 of 101 ICU beds full. They are planning to open a field hospital. St. Louis hospitals are full or nearly full. Duluth hospitals are nearly full. Wisconsin has opened a field hospital. Wisconsin recorded a record number of deaths. Kansas City hospitals are full. Texas spare hospital bed capacity is dropping. Nashville hospitals are stressed. The state of Texas is sending medical personnel to El Paso. A birthday party for a 16 yr. old in Orlando infected half of those who attended.

• Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ChristianK

Jul 25, 2020
Georgia
✟3,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
get back to me when they find a proper test and the nurses stop recording themselves dancing around on social media. then we can discuss if the current death rate of 0.1% is even valid to begin with. 1 in a thousand is not much of a correlation if you ask me, even without proper verification of infection.
not to mention during the "first wave" the extra outdoor medical stations in NYC had to be closed within hours even though NY state recorded over 40% of all supposed covid fatalities at the time.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
F50FBDCE-06B9-4D42-952E-A9EB13725B53.jpeg
I live in NYC and that’s not true . We had bodies stacked in tractor trailers outside of all hospitals and a field hospital in Central Park . Hospitals were overwhelmed.

with the lockdown NYC went from about 800 fatalities a day to about 10. NYC is Queens, Kings( Brooklyn) , the Bronx, Manhattan and Richmond ( Staten Island) . Nassau and Suffolk are Long Island . Our numbers are way down and these are from October 23, 2020

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 2, 2019
Somewhere
✟30,896.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

That sounds really bad.
From what I can tell it's very common right now. Also I can see why some people have the viewpoint your friend has, since reliable actual Truth is a rare commodity.

Perhaps more dangerous than the virus itself are infectious ideas which spread along with it like: "the virus is a lie" and "we need total government control and protection from everything".

People who believe the virus is a lie should at least wear a mask, practice social distancing, etc., while in public simply out of respect for other people, that shouldn't be too hard.

On the other hand, people who believe all the official information about COVID shouldn't expect their governments (or any ordinary humans that are commonly held in high regard) to be a benevolent savior that has all the answers and always have the best solution.

Upvote 0

Xenophon

Jul 16, 2020
Smithfield
✟17,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
People who believe the virus is a lie should at least wear a mask, practice social distancing, etc., while in public simply out of respect for other people, that shouldn't be too hard.

No, they shouldn't. As a great man said, "I'd rather destroy my body and soul than give into your insanity." Similarly, out of respect the insanity of the mask, no one should wear them.

Upvote 0