Friday Fish Fries

Do you believe that having a social fish fry on Fridays during Lent serves the purpose of Lent?

• No, Fridays are supposed to be for somberly remembering Good Friday

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Yes, it's fine (please state your reason)

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am posting in fellowship to garner Catholic opinions.

As I understand it, the custom of not eating meat on Fridays during Lent originates from a belief that Christians should mourn for the suffering of Christ on Good Friday, and that when this tradition was established, eating the meat of land animals was associated with joyous feasting - which would be improper for a day of mourning.

This has made cultural waves over hundreds of years which I appreciate - pasckis, Fat Tuesday, and fish going on sale being a few of them.

Now, the parish in the town I grew up in would have signs on Fridays for fish fries during Lent. Fine by me, but I was thinking today about how does this actually mesh with the reason Catholics are eating fish in the first place? I've been to a few of them on Sundays, they were enjoyable and often paired with rummage sales. But if I'm recalling correctly, they were also offered on Fridays, which makes me wonder: Does having a social meal where everyone is enjoying themselves on a Friday during Lent when the crucifixion of Christ is supposed to be put into special focus defeat the purpose of Lent, even if fish is the only meat being served? Why or why not?

Edit: For clarity, I am talking about the Fridays during Lent leading up to Good Friday, not Good Friday itself.

Last edited:

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am posting in fellowship to garner Catholic opinions.

As I understand it, the custom of not eating meat on Fridays during Lent originates from a belief that Christians should mourn for the suffering of Christ on Good Friday, and that when this tradition was established, eating the meat of land animals was associated with joyous feasting - which would be improper for a day of mourning.

This has made cultural waves over hundreds of years which I appreciate - pasckis, Fat Tuesday, and fish going on sale being a few of them.

Now, the parish in the town I grew up in would have signs on Fridays for fish fries during Lent. Fine by me, but I was thinking today about how does this actually mesh with the reason Catholics are eating fish in the first place? I've been to a few of them on Sundays, they were enjoyable and often paired with rummage sales. But if I'm recalling correctly, they were also offered on Fridays, which makes me wonder: Does having a social meal where everyone is enjoying themselves on a Friday during Lent when the crucifixion of Christ is supposed to be put into special focus defeat the purpose of Lent, even if fish is the only meat being served? Why or why not?
We do not have a fish fry on Good Friday. Other Fridays during Lent, yes. It is for edification and support plus raising money for charity. Good Friday is one meal. No meat as far as the RCC sees it and contemplation as well as a 3 pm service. Given Covid these days, we are all sort of winging it. We can graze on Good Friday which does not equal another meal but a lot of us just don’t. We have a busy day on Good Friday. Not just the 3pm service but the re-enactment of Christ’s Passion which we all gather to walk with Him.

Upvote 0