Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
In my discussions with Lutheran priests about my inquiry to Orthodoxy, I've been bringing up infant communion, since that is the issue that I am most convicted by for various reasons. (I am in full support, and recognize that Lutheranism cannot permit this.) One thing that is brought up by them is that the Orthodox usually only commune infants at their initiation in to the Body of Christ (Baptism, Chrismation, Eucharist), and then infants and young children are not communed again for a period of time, maybe a few years, until the child is older.

Is this correct? How often do infants and small children commune? Do they partake of the Eucharist regularly, or just once when they are baptized and not again until they are able to cognitively, rationally, discern the Body of Christ (or some criteria like that)?

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
no, infants commune every Liturgy. they are fully members of the Church from the get go.
Thank you. I thought I had seen infants commune the couple of the times I've been at a liturgy, but after hearing this for the 3rd time, I figured I'd check to clarify.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you. I thought I had seen infants commune the couple of the times I've been at a liturgy, but after hearing this for the 3rd time, I figured I'd check to clarify.

yeah, it's definitely not our teaching.

Reactions: AMM
Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

Yeah, that's a new one on me! Infants & children always commune.

Reactions: AMM
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,629.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
They come up first in our parish and there is always a good long line of infants and children Communing. :)
Parents with young children always get moved up towards the front of the line.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
All the children in our parish sit in the front rows, then head out to Sunday school immediately after communing.
That's the reason in ours too.

My only problem is that I'm in the choir loft singing and our Communion hymn is done in 4 parts - sometimes I'm needed until the end ... and I'm supposed to be already down front receiving Communion as soon as it ends so that I can go up before the children and unlock the room. It works out each week though through different means. Though I could wish not to be distracted by logistics in the moments leading up to receiving Communion.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
back to the OP, but another thing to keep in mind is since we view the Church as a hospital, the Eucharist is the medicine. so if an infant can be healed with earthly medicine, it stems to reason an infant would also be healed by heavenly medicine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
back to the OP, but another thing to keep in mind is since we view the Church as a hospital, the Eucharist is the medicine. so if an infant can be healed with earthly medicine, it stems to reason an infant would also be healed by heavenly medicine.
That's sort of why infant communion is a hill I'm willing to die on, so to speak. It's not because "John 6 says you need Christ's flesh and blood to be saved so everyone without the Eucharist is condemned!! So if they just do it once then it's totes fine like whatever after that, I don't care"

But because Christ sustains us and feeds his people the heavenly manna to heal them, unite them to him, and make them partakers of the divine nature.

I'm glad to hear it is a frequent practice, or else it would be really no different than waiting until the child were older.

Upvote 0