MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
:wave:I remember there was a thread on this long ago, but I've been wondering about it... in my family's ROCOR church, it's a custom to go to Confession before Communion. But I know in some other Orthodox churches, a person can go to Confession once a month, but receive Communion more often. I remember my question before, was regarding why this difference exists.

But I was also wondering, how frequently do Orthodox in general receive Communion? I'm not here to argue what the answer is, but I'm just curious :) does it differ depending on church? Mostly - is it seen as good or bad to receive every week (provided you meet your church's requirements for Confession)?

Just something I've always wondered about! ;)

thank you :) God bless!

Ioannis

I'm home!
Dec 31, 2005
United States
✟16,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It depends on each person. For me, I usually go every time I go to Liturgy, unless there's a good reason. I haven't taken Communion since I got to Korea just because I haven't had a chance to talk to the priest, yet.

For a while, infrequent Communion became the norm, but there's been a sort of revival in bringing back frequent Communion. In many monasteries (I don't want to say all...but all the ones I've been to), daily Communion is the norm.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
After the empire collapsed to the Ottomon Turks, Russia forged closer ties with the west. For 300 years there was quite a bit of latin influence on russian theology and practises. The need to confess before every participation of Communion is one of these influences.
In Orthodoxy a prerequisite before each participation is to fast from sunset saturday until after recieving the Holy Eucharist.

Upvote 0

-Kyriaki-

seeking answers in stillness
Sep 30, 2002
South Australia
Visit site
✟23,127.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Or midnight, which is what I've heard more commonly prescribed.

I'm a convert amongst cradles and I receive most weeks and confess every few months - my Spiritual Father is incredibly busy so I go when he's free and I can.

There are a lot of people in my parish who commune fairly regularly, once a week or at least once every few weeks. Every other week is somewhat common. Then there's loooots of people who still only commune a few times a year, at Pascha and a few other times like their nameday or maybe Christmas, despite coming every week.

Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I take communion when I am prepared - which I try to do every week. If I'm not prepared, then I don't.

I confess when I need to or if I've gone three weeks or more without communing.

Confession and Communion are not really linked. They have been tied together in some traditions due to the infrequency of communing which necessitates reconciliation prior to communing. Basically, if you skip Communion for 3 weeks without a good reason (like sickness or travel) then you have essentially excommunicated yourself and need to be reconciled to the Church before you can be one with them through the Eucharist. Of course none of this relieves one from properly preparing.

FYI - it's my opinion that one should be prepared either way if you come to church. Participation in the liturgy itself is participation in the body of Christ. If there is something in your life that would prevent you from communing, then leave the altar and make it right.

If you haven't fasted, then you shouldn't be taking the antidoron either. This is clearly stated in the Hapgood service book.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ioannis

I'm home!
Dec 31, 2005
United States
✟16,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I was trying to find this quote and I did! Woo hoo! I feel successful.

Holy Confession in and of itself is not a prerequisite to Holy Communion. To take this position is to subordinate the one mystery to the other and so lessen its importance. Rather both mysteries are necessary and often they are combined for the health of the soul.

Eastern Orthodox Christian Sacraments: Confession The relationship between Confession and Communion. How do we stay "sinless" between confession and communion?

I go to Confession every couple of months. For me, Confession has always been sitting down with the priest and just talking through things. Telling him what's going on with my life, telling him what I've been struggling with and so on. Then, after we talk for about an hour, we go into the Church and we do the part in front of the icon.

So far, every parish priest I've had, I've done it this way and I really like it. And, if I need to talk to him sooner because of something going on, I do.

Upvote 0

27B6

Veteran
Oct 14, 2006
✟9,473.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
If you haven't fasted, then you shouldn't be taking the antidoron either. This is clearly stated in the Hapgood service book.

Hi Kristos. I've downloaded the Hapgood service book. Can you point me to the right page or section for this reference? Thanks.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was told by my priest that I shouldn't be deciding when I shouldn't take communion because there was a time I decided not to because of thoughts I'd been battling with. He said I should go unless otherwise noted by my needing to confess to him (and for me, that's usually every couple months). IOW, he encourages weekly for me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jesus4Madrid

Orthodox Christian
Jul 21, 2011
✟90,072.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
What a joy it is that Orthodox take confession and communion seriously! For this recent convert, it is one of the most beautiful things about Orthodoxy.

I confess at least once a month. I commune every Sunday that I have prepared by fasting. All of this, after having spoken to my SF.

Taking the Eucharist was always a serious and fearful thing, as St Paul noted regarding those who communed without preparing well:

"For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. I Cor 11:30

Upvote 0

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Speaking only for myself, I try to come to Liturgy prepared to receive every week. I go to confession usually about twice a month. If there is something weighing on my conscience that I have not confessed, I will not commune. Also, if I have any kind of unresolved quarrel with someone in church or my family, I won't commune until it's resolved.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If there is something weighing on my conscience that I have not confessed, I will not commune. Also, if I have any kind of unresolved quarrel with someone in church or my family, I won't commune until it's resolved.
I do the same.

Upvote 0