French Christians, Muslims, Jews rally against gay marriage

S

seeking Christ

SSM is not about "sexual relations (as if what 2 consenting adults do in the privacy of their own bedroom is any of their business to begin with)"

Neither is it about special rights, but special privilege, created anew. If there is no longer a marriage penalty, I can see making allowance for committed homosexual couples in the tax code. The same probably goes for everything you can legitimately label as a "right." Who your spouse is is not a right at all. Very few honest people would state that they are married to their top pick; most people settle. The whole idea of it somehow being a "right" is bogus.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
SSM is not about "sexual relations (as if what 2 consenting adults do in the privacy of their own bedroom is any of their business to begin with)"

Neither is it about special rights, but special privilege, created anew. If there is no longer a marriage penalty, I can see making allowance for committed homosexual couples in the tax code. The same probably goes for everything you can legitimately label as a "right." Who your spouse is is not a right at all. Very few honest people would state that they are married to their top pick; most people settle. The whole idea of it somehow being a "right" is bogus.
Is marriage a "privilege" for a man and a woman?

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Who your spouse is is not a right at all. Very few honest people would state that they are married to their top pick; most people settle. The whole idea of it somehow being a "right" is bogus.

So since heterosexuals don't always get their top pick, homosexuals shouldn't get any pick at all?

Upvote 0
S

seeking Christ

Is marriage a "privilege" for a man and a woman?

I'm not sure of the best way to describe it in secular terms. Marriage is a Covenant 2 people enter into with God Himself. God is a party to that, and He clearly excludes SSM as a possibility.

So it is appropriate to leave marriage out of the picture, as it pertains to homosexuality. Legal / civil rights are another matter completely.

Upvote 0
S

seeking Christ

So since heterosexuals don't always get their top pick, homosexuals shouldn't get any pick at all?

I'm just pointing out its not a right, and thinking otherwise is absurd. (Yeah, I know, some courts have made this outlandish mistake. Our Judicial branch doesn't have a track record of clear thinking, although some Judges are gems)

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure of the best way to describe it in secular terms. Marriage is a Covenant 2 people enter into with God Himself. God is a party to that, and He clearly excludes SSM as a possibility.

So it is appropriate to leave marriage out of the picture, as it pertains to homosexuality. Legal / civil rights are another matter completely.
You are describing Christian marriage. There are other kinds.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I think throughout human history marriage has been observed in similar fashion, regardless of affiliation with Christianity.
Things change. Morals evolve.
If you want to keep a Christian marriage as you define it, no one's stopping you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I think throughout human history marriage has been observed in similar fashion, regardless of affiliation with Christianity.

Not really.

Marriage has always been a somewhat variable concept amongst different cultures. Monogamy, polygamy, polyandry, concubinage, etc have been different forms of marriage, as an example. In a lot of cases marriages were familial contracts (i.e. arranged marriages), in other words it was a business transaction; more like a modern corporate merger than anything else.

I'm not saying marriage isn't sacred; just that there isn't some all encompassing universal definition across the globe and history.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Since nobody responded to my latest post for whatever reason I'll just enter on a new line of thought:

Can Christians explain to me while homosexuals getting married scares them? As ViaCrucis said, marriage is variable among culture...Christians can have Christian weddings just fine in their churches as Muslims can have marriages in their mosques and Pagans can have handfasting marriages in the forest.

Legally, it all requires a certificate anyways so what is the big threat to Christianity? I really want to know an explanation of this.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Since nobody responded to my latest post for whatever reason I'll just enter on a new line of thought:

Can Christians explain to me while homosexuals getting married scares them? As ViaCrucis said, marriage is variable among culture...Christians can have Christian weddings just fine in their churches as Muslims can have marriages in their mosques and Pagans can have handfasting marriages in the forest.

Legally, it all requires a certificate anyways so what is the big threat to Christianity? I really want to know an explanation of this.
It doesnt threaten private Christianity at all.
But it does threaten their vision of a nation based on Christian morals.

Upvote 0
S

seeking Christ

Since nobody responded to my latest post for whatever reason

You mean this?

If you are assuming this is my line of thinking.

My point is that this is how people will see it in the future. Religions [Christianity in the case] are pointedly anti-progress.

Its a just-so statement. I don't see it as having any merit at all, especially since the sciences were pioneered by those crediting God for their inspiration. What sort of response were you going for?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Correction: it removes the freedom to raise children in a society with clear boundaries of right and wrong.
Everyone would like that. BUT We all share society with other people who might have slightly different values. Society doesnt belong to you alone.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It doesnt threaten private Christianity at all.
But it does threaten their vision of a nation based on Christian morals.

I don't really believe in a private vs public Christianity; but I do agree with the political aspect of your point.

The Religious Right has a tendency to view "Christianity" as an instrument of culture and civilization (not necessarily in those explicit of terms).

It's not Christianity or the Church that's threatened, it's an imagined Christian Civilization, concerning which the United States is the last great bastion (seeing Europe as having fallen). Gay marriage is seen as a threat against this imagined Christian culture and civilization.

It boils down more to power than religion, usually.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I don't really believe in a private vs public Christianity; but I do agree with the political aspect of your point.

The Religious Right has a tendency to view "Christianity" as an instrument of culture and civilization (not necessarily in those explicit of terms).

It's not Christianity or the Church that's threatened, it's an imagined Christian Civilization, concerning which the United States is the last great bastion (seeing Europe as having fallen). Gay marriage is seen as a threat against this imagined Christian culture and civilization.

It boils down more to power than religion, usually.

-CryptoLutheran
I mean "private" as in the personal activities of free people. Not as in hidden or secret.
And as opposed to "public": state sponsored or legislated, public-sector.
I think youre right about the Christian Civilization.

Upvote 0