• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Freethinkers atheists?

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Sink' started by mathinspiration, Mar 20, 2019.

1. mathinspiration

mathinspiration Member

+64
    United States
    Methodist
    Single
    I heard that many freethinkers claim they are free thinkers all because they are atheists by completely deny the existence of gods , God or the supernatural ? Some claim to be agnostics by claiming aliens or something or other is out there? How can be freethinking if one totally denies the existence of the supernatural or religion or God? Is it because they are too educated to believe it that? Too open minded to listen the gospels or historical evidence of Christ? Can you be non- believer are be a free thinker with hatred for blacks and Jews or Mexicans?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Tinker Grey

Tinker Grey Wanderer Supporter

+1,466
    Atheist
    Autumnleaf, is that you?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. DaisyDay

DaisyDay blind squirrel

+8,130
    United States
    Unitarian
    Married
    US-Others
    Grammar's too muddled. The first sentence, if you parse it, seems to be questioning whether or not she heard something, but I think she means to cast aspersions on people she is accusing of making an odd claim, that free-thinkers are freethinkers because they are atheists rather than vice versa.

4. devin553344

devin553344 My Brain's Offline But My Heart Isn't

+872
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Strange. I consider myself a free thinker and have studied physics for the past ~4 years and I'm more convinced that there is a God.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Chesterton

Chesterton Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding Supporter

+14,385
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I've got this friend who says it might be...

6. Dirk1540

Dirk1540 Well-Known Member Supporter

+11,381
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Did you already know most of the advanced math that you needed to know? I always thought it would be fun to get into quantum mechanics.

7. Tanj

Tanj Redefined comfortable middle class

+2,462
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    Has anyone ever met anyone that self identifies as "free thinker"? (that doesn't make a living on the self help circuit)

8. Dirk1540

Dirk1540 Well-Known Member Supporter

+11,381
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Yes, I know a guy. He lost his job recently, so now the free thinker lives in a box. The contradiction makes my head wanna explode!!

9. Tanj

Tanj Redefined comfortable middle class

+2,462
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    I hope he gets back on his feet so he can go back to living outside the box.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  10. devin553344

devin553344 My Brain's Offline But My Heart Isn't

+872
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    My calculus is weak, but fortunately I haven't had to use it yet. I do classical mechanics, so it's mostly algebra, trig and exponents, logarithms. Some Reimann zeta summations. But I haven't had to use integrals. But yes I'm still learning the math. And I consider it interesting :)

11. jayem

jayem Naturalist

+3,457
    Atheist
    Married
    The term freethinker just means someone who doesn’t buy into the conventional wisdom. I think it originated back in the 18th century. When it specifically applied to people who didn’t believe in God or traditional religious dogmas. So the connotation has always been that the term is synonymous with atheist. But these days, I suppose a freethinker could be a flat-earther, an anti-vaxer, or any kind of far-fetched conspiracy believer.

12. Sjatov's Avenging Angel

Sjatov's Avenging Angel New Member

+1
    United States
    Skeptic
    Single
    Maybe some people in dictatorships use the label and they don't look silly for doing it.