West Virginia
✟15,265.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Me and Sue (The Lord is my banner) are having a conversation through IM...

We were discussing something and I expressed to her that I feel embarassed/awkward when someone thanks me or blesses me.

We've both agreed this would be a good topic to include others in on...

So what is your opinion on "freely give, and freely receive?"

God bless,
~ Brian

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
yep, i'd agree! i think some of us (maybe for generations!) have had the 'I'm not worthy" message pounded into our heads. It can be difficult to get over that and come into a right understanding of how God actually viewes us, and by extention how others view us.

Upvote 0

TheGloryisHere

Sep 13, 2006
Austin, Texas
Visit site
✟21,481.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
You're welcome, Sue.

Also, to add onto Sue's question...

Does our inability to receive affect our self-esteem, the way we treat others, our social life, and many other physical abilities as well?
I think it is a self esteem fear problem, and a unworthy feeling. Immersing yourself in the word of God will remove that fear. If we cant' receive a simple thank you, or a blessing, or a wow, what you said really helped me a lot! if that emarrassess us, then something is wrong. How will we receive from God when He does something similar only more so? We need to reject those feelings of I'm not good enough to be treated that way, so God may trulely bless us.

Upvote 0

Hisgirl

Loved into Heaven by a Violent Act of Grace
Aug 10, 2004
USA
✟15,157.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think this indeed is a wide-spread problem and like was stated, it's rooted in our feelings of unworthiness and a pauper mentality. Like...if he had really, really known me inside...who I truly am...he wouldn't have given that to me in the first place.

If you think it through, we when receive...aren't we really GIVING through the acceptance of the gift which then fills the giver with joy? It's really a perfect circle.

I wonder how we can renew our mind in that area?

Upvote 0

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
[BIBLE]Matthew 10:8[/BIBLE]

It is in the form of a command. It says that we have already received and so we should freely give.

There are many who still need to receive. But this passage is speaking to those who have received already.

It is in the context of doing ministry and spreading the kingdom of God. I think that the plain and simple message is don't discrimonate. Whososever is willing to receive God's kingdom , give them freely. In other words don't refuse to pray for someone who asks.

Upvote 0

TheGloryisHere

Sep 13, 2006
Austin, Texas
Visit site
✟21,481.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
If we are to receive, even though we feel unworthy...

How do we go about with a humble spirit, giving the glory to God, when we receive thanks or praise for allowing God to use us?
Well, maybe just quit worrying about being humble, and just receive. A prideful person isn't even going to think about being humble. But, thinking too much about being humble and trying to work to make ourselves that way can lead to pride.

Reactions: KleinerApfel
Upvote 0

KleinerApfel

When I awake I am still with You
Mar 4, 2004
Somewhere
✟35,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, maybe just quit worrying about being humble, and just receive. A prideful person isn't even going to think about being humble. But, thinking too much about being humble and trying to work to make ourselves that way can lead to pride.

Ooops, got me! :doh: It's quite a conundrum, and it's all being worked out in me as I glimpse more and more GRACE.
Sorry, I can't make any more sense with it than that, I think I know what I mean... :sigh: :confused:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheGloryisHere

Sep 13, 2006
Austin, Texas
Visit site
✟21,481.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Ooops, got me! :doh: It's quite a conundrum, and it's all being worked out in me as I glimpse more and more GRACE.
Sorry, I can't make any more sense with it than that, I think I know what I mean... :sigh: :confused:
I think I know what you mean too. :)

Upvote 0

followjesus777

get behind...the Lord rebuke thee, JESUS is Lord!~
Jan 15, 2006
"in the world but not of the world"...seated in th
✟18,947.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
i understand this, but now to cope with the embarrasment i say ..." thank the Lord not me"!~ cause ..."all good things come from Him."

im farrr from perfect but He loves me where im at!~and i love Him!~:hug: Glory to God!~

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.