Lukamu

Aug 13, 2015
Rural United States
✟11,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Freedom in Christ, rightfully understood, is not the freedom to continue sinning. The freedom of Christ is the freedom that allows me to choose, uncoerced, to do good. However, technically speaking, the freedom of Christ is the freedom to sin without fear of punishment. That is correct: you are free to sin because Christ has died for not just the sins in your past, but also the sins in your present and future. (Allow me to follow this statement with the question: but why would you? so that I'm not immediately labeled a heretic.)

Christ died for the forgiveness of sins. There is no more punishment for sins: Christ paid it all. If you are making your decisions to avoid evil because you are afraid of the spiritual consequences (i.e., God will punish you), then you do not understand freedom in Christ. God will not punish you for sinning today, tomorrow, or in the future. Jesus has already paid the price for all of your sins, big and small, past, present, and future. However, the freedom of Christ is not powerfully understood as the freedom to sin - in fact, that is a dangerous misunderstanding unless you see the whole picture: the freedom of Christ is the freedom to do righteous things without coercion, fear, or guilt of being punished for doing unrighteous things.

Think of it as spiritual maturity. Many little children obey their parents because they are afraid of the consequences. There is nothing wrong with this approach, and it is even necessary in some cases to obey out of fear. However, the ultimate goal is to raise children into adults who make the right decisions because, well, they are the right decisions to make - not to raise children into adults who only make the right decisions because they fear the consequences of making poor decisions. If Christians are obedient to God only because they fear the consequences of being disobedient, then that is spiritual immaturity. The reality forces us to become mature: There is no spiritual consequence for sinning because Jesus has already paid the price for the forgiveness of all sins.

Why then should we be obedient at all if there are no consequences for disobedience? Because God is good, and the Bible is good, and therefore I would rather be good than disobedient. Not because of any fear or guilt, but because I can. I can choose freely to follow Christ and walk with Him. I can also choose freely to sin as I please, but why would I? God is good, and the Bible is good. The freedom of Christ is the freedom to choose to do what is good, and that's what makes it so powerful. I'm not just doing good because I want to avoid punishment. I'm not doing good because I want to avoid guilt. Those things do not exist anymore in Christ. I am doing good things because I am free to choose.

Let me know if you agree/disagree. I'm no pastor or priest, just a regular Christian.

John Bowen

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2018
dueba
✟48,940.00
Country
Fiji
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wherefore I say unto you .All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: But the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men Matt 12: 31 The Holy Spirit is the aspect of God which is assigned to remind people that they cannot stand still.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Freedom in Christ, rightfully understood, is not the freedom to continue sinning. The freedom of Christ is the freedom that allows me to choose, uncoerced, to do good. However, technically speaking, the freedom of Christ is the freedom to sin without fear of punishment. That is correct: you are free to sin because Christ has died for not just the sins in your past, but also the sins in your present and future. (Allow me to follow this statement with the question: but why would you? so that I'm not immediately labeled a heretic.)

Christ died for the forgiveness of sins. There is no more punishment for sins: Christ paid it all. If you are making your decisions to avoid evil because you are afraid of the spiritual consequences (i.e., God will punish you), then you do not understand freedom in Christ. God will not punish you for sinning today, tomorrow, or in the future. Jesus has already paid the price for all of your sins, big and small, past, present, and future. However, the freedom of Christ is not powerfully understood as the freedom to sin - in fact, that is a dangerous misunderstanding unless you see the whole picture: the freedom of Christ is the freedom to do righteous things without coercion, fear, or guilt of being punished for doing unrighteous things.

Think of it as spiritual maturity. Many little children obey their parents because they are afraid of the consequences. There is nothing wrong with this approach, and it is even necessary in some cases to obey out of fear. However, the ultimate goal is to raise children into adults who make the right decisions because, well, they are the right decisions to make - not to raise children into adults who only make the right decisions because they fear the consequences of making poor decisions. If Christians are obedient to God only because they fear the consequences of being disobedient, then that is spiritual immaturity. The reality forces us to become mature: There is no spiritual consequence for sinning because Jesus has already paid the price for the forgiveness of all sins.

Why then should we be obedient at all if there are no consequences for disobedience? Because God is good, and the Bible is good, and therefore I would rather be good than disobedient. Not because of any fear or guilt, but because I can. I can choose freely to follow Christ and walk with Him. I can also choose freely to sin as I please, but why would I? God is good, and the Bible is good. The freedom of Christ is the freedom to choose to do what is good, and that's what makes it so powerful. I'm not just doing good because I want to avoid punishment. I'm not doing good because I want to avoid guilt. Those things do not exist anymore in Christ. I am doing good things because I am free to choose.

Let me know if you agree/disagree. I'm no pastor or priest, just a regular Christian.
I agree. "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which He prepared beforehand that we should walk in them." and "There is no fear in love, because fear involves punishment. Perfect love casts our fear. The man who fears is not perfected in love."

Heb 9:14 "how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without blemish to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?" If the blood of Christ has actually cleansed our conscience, then there should no longer be any motivation for selfish pleasure, but the only motive exists to serve God is love.
TD:)

Upvote 0

Lukamu

Aug 13, 2015
Rural United States
✟11,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wherefore I say unto you .All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: But the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men Matt 12: 31 The Holy Spirit is the aspect of God which is assigned to remind people that they cannot stand still.

The sin of "blaspheming the Holy Spirit" is essentially the sin of rejecting Christ. If you reject Christ, then you are rejecting the forgiveness of sins.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

John 8:32
And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.

John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

What new freedom have we gained? That we did not have before we came to Christ?

Galatians 5:1

For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.

We have been freed from actual slavery to a master that could never be satisfied, and would never have released us, and to which so many are enslaved to, helpless --

Where --
"All things are wearisome,
more than one can say.
The eye never has enough of seeing,
nor the ear its fill of hearing."
https://biblehub.com/niv/ecclesiastes/1.htm
https://biblehub.com/niv/ecclesiastes/2.htm

This is what we've been freed from -- the cruel agony of never being satisfied, of being enslaved to our bellies, the lusts of our body or family for more, more, more, of never being truly fulfilled.

28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Now we are free!

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian

Granted that sin doesn't impact one's destiny as we are not under law but under grace. The complaint that salvation by works Christians have against the gospel of grace is the licence to sin issue. Of course they opt for the idea that the motivation for doing good is the negative incentive of potential condemnation, which is a different gospel.

For those born of God through faith the incentive for doing good is not simply the positive incentive of rewards. Being born of God itself changes one nature such that it is natural to do what is good.

"No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God. This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not a child of God; nor is anyone who does not love his brother." 1John 3:9,10

So while for the unregenerate it can be said, "Can the Ethiopian change his skin or the leopard its spots? Then may you also do good who are accustomed to do evil." Jer 13:23, yet for the regenerate it could be said, "if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come." 2Cor 5:17

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Granted that sin doesn't impact one's destiny as we are not under law but under grace. The complaint that salvation by works Christians have against the gospel of grace is the licence to sin issue. Of course they opt for the idea that the motivation for doing good is the negative incentive of potential condemnation, which is a different gospel.

For those born of God through faith the incentive for doing good is not simply the positive incentive of rewards. Being born of God itself changes one nature such that it is natural to do what is good.

"No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God. This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not a child of God; nor is anyone who does not love his brother." 1John 3:9,10

So while for the unregenerate it can be said, "Can the Ethiopian change his skin or the leopard its spots? Then may you also do good who are accustomed to do evil." Jer 13:23, yet for the regenerate it could be said, "if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come." 2Cor 5:17

The only gospel, Good News of Christ, that is, is the gospel of saved by grace, through faith. There just isn't any other that is His gospel.

I've read in a lot of these discussion, but haven't been able to find the "salvation by works Christians". At most I found those arguing (sometimes tilting at windmills inevitably (we never know precisely what another really thinks)) against one of the modern prosperity-gospel flavors, like grace-and-keep-on-sinning-no-problem-don't-even-confess/repent, for instance, or the recent new grace-no-works-ever varieties (Ephesians 2:8-9 with verse 10 deleted, if you like).

Of course, as you likely know, Paul repeated, in most epistles, forceful instructions to the readers/listeners to stop sinning. That must be because many were continuing to sin as if they had not been changed, and we often see Paul almost pulling his hair out over it.

Paul in the many instances is not at all giving them an encouragement to stop sinning, but instead Paul gives a threatening and dramatic warning to stop sinning.

Here's one we sadly need more today than we did 30 years ago, the warning not to be a reviler of other people --

9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, 10 nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

It can be a surprise today, in 2018, to suddenly realize that if we bad-talk about someone, we are like an adulterer or a thief, or a practicing sodomite -- excluded from inheriting the Kingdom of God (meaning instead going to the second death!!).

Thank God for His Amazing Grace, that we can confess and be cleansed from this commonplace modern sin, so present in most every modern church congregation.

9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

!

Hallelujah! Praise the Lord. Without this Grace, I'd be dead, dead, dead. Dead man walking.

Instead, I'm alive!

Upvote 0