Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus knocks on the door of a person's heart, but it is up to us to open the door. Jesus does not knock down the door with a battering ram and mind wipe us to do His will. We have to choose this day in whom we will serve. God is not going to believe for us, and neither is He going to force us to do His will against our own will as if we were puppets on strings.

• Agree
Reactions: Spiritual Jew
Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Also, think about the judgment. The judgment of men makes no sense in the world of Calvinism because God is not really judging man for anything he did because he had no ability to choose otherwise. It would not be a judgment but it would only be a ruling of God telling us what He already chosen for everyone (Which does not make a lick of sense).
I didn't want to write a long post so I picked this one issue to comment on. This is how I would view judgment when seen through the lens of strong determinism and absolute freewill:

There is a race to prove who is the fastest and the slowest and every place in between. The fact is that the slowest and the fastest are already standing at the starting line, because the race exists to show who they are. But there is the occasion for the presence of a carnal vanity to manifest, because the fastest is looking forward to the race to show his strength, while the slowest is dreading the exposing of his weakness in comparison. It becomes a matter of pride even though God has made them all and they have nothing to be ashamed of, nor boast in. In this scenario, an absolute freewill is like saying they're all equally capable of being the fastest but some will simply try harder than the others, and by the way there is no thought of giving glory to God. The semantics show that the fastest in the worldly sense would favor believing in freewill because it lifts them up personally, and they will put forth a supreme effort. While the slowest would favor determinism because it doesn't put them down personally, and they will run but not waste much effort on futility. Freewill in this sense is vanity and this is how and why I believe vanity first appeared in the highest angel who became enamored with his self even as he began to despise those less gifted and beneath him.

Wherefore if the true objective of the race were to actually expose vanity in the creature and subsequently give all glory to God, then it's understandable why many of the last will be first and many of the first will be last, as a matter of circumstance, but the only real winner is Christ/God.

1 Corinthians:
25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:

27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;

28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:

29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.

30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
6 hours south of the Golden Dome of the University
✟511,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don’t quite understand. There is several verses in romans that sounds a lot like predestination. There is also a ton of verses that talk about making the choice to follow Christ. I want to believe free will. The idea that God decides who is gonna follow Him and who He’s gonna throw in Hell I find disturbing. If you support predestination please explain the verses that speak about free will. Ex John 3:16. That’s just one of many. And if your for free will please explain the verses that sound like presentation. Ex Romans 9:21-23. Also I know about Armineaism but Romans 9:21-23 doesn’t sound like it’s based on our choices

A defining of free will is necessary. Free will is the person, oneself, is the cause for a decision or action, and no external factor caused the person or oneself to act or make a decision.

In addition, God has, what is called in philosophy/religious/Christian philosophy, middle knowledge. Middle knowledge is perhaps best explained by way of example. Before creation of any earth and humans, a point where God is contemplating what to create, and before God created our present earth, AKA the actualized earth, there were many iterations of earth God could have decided to create. These many iterations included an earth with no one who presently exists or existed on the actualized earth, our earth. These iterations possibly included some of the people from our actualized earth but not others.

Similarly, the possible earths may have involved different circumstances. Naturally, a version of creation without JFK necessarily means he isn’t assassinated and that perhaps Nixon wins the 60 election, LBJ never becomes president, in which Medicare, the Civil Rights Act, head start, never become law.

If George Washington chose to stay at home and not lead the colonial army, do the colonists defeat Britain? Is there ever a U.S.A.? There’s a possible world where this is true.

Additionally, there’s many different possible earths where God intervenes with man differently. Different earths with different timing for intervening, which can affect the human response. Different earths with intervening with different people, at different times, with possible different outcomes.

Among the many different earths, with different people, circumstances, his differing interventions, the different human reactions, God chose our version of earth.

We are free to decide how we live our lives, free to decide how to respond to God. God is free to choose how much favor to show us, foreknowing what we would freely do with our lives, freely react to His word, freely react to Him. God may know that for some, no amount of exposure to His word, no amount of God intervening, will result in some people freely choosing to change their lives for Him. That’s Middle Knowledge.

And God foreknowing our free decisions, foreknowing whether exposure to His word, His spirit, His presence, would make any difference, and foreknowing for some no difference, He chose to create those “vessels” destined to destruction such destruction destined to them in part because of their free choices and God’s choice to punish those wicked vessels freely choosing to be wicked.

Similarly, God foreknowing the vessels freely choosing His Son and to be made righteous through His Son, has chosen to be merciful to this group.

Remember, mercy was God’s choice. We have had no right to mercy. God was not obligated to show mercy to any of us, the righteous and unrighteous. God chose, He chose a creation to be merciful by sending his Son to become sin, and cleanse our sins, by His Son’s death, resurrection, who is alive and blessed forevermore. Amen.

God then foreknows who will freely choose righteousness through His Son. God chose a creation where He would be merciful to some by offering a way to cleanse our sins and create a path for those who want to be saved to be saved. He could have chosen to cast us all aside, being sinners, and choose to not offer any of us mercy.

The above sums up, “22What if God, although willing to demonstrate His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction? 23And He did so to make known the riches of His glory upon vessels of mercy, which He prepared beforehand for glory,24even us, whom He also called, not from among Jews only, but also from among Gentiles.”

Notice the word “patience”? God has accommodated these people with time, time to seek his face, just as the righteous were afforded time to seek his face and did so, while God endured those freely choosing wickedness and giving them time to do so otherwise.

Now, turning to Jacob and Esau, of all the possible versions of creation, of earth, perhaps none of them included one where Esau freely reacted to God like Jacob. Or any possible world where Esau did react to God like Jacob, such a world could not be actualized. The world that can be actualized is one where Esau freely is not receptive to God like Jacob, a world like our own, where Esau doesn’t or wouldn’t freely respond to God like Jacob.

God foreknowing Esau freely would not or does not respond to Him, and foreknwoing Jacob would, reacts to their free choices by choosing Jacob, and choosing to honor Jacob’s free choice to serve God by making him Israel.

Pharoah is mentioned in this chapter of Romans and merits a comment. Again, God foreknew if He did X, Pharoah would freely choose to react by hardening his heart. So, God did weakly cause, or weakly actualized, Pharoah to harden his heart by interacting with Pharoah in a manner God foreknew Pharoah would freely choose to react by hardening his heart. But Pharoah freely chose his specific response of hardening his heart, just as Saul freely chose to react to God’s intervention by surrendering his heart to God as opposed to freely choosing to harden the heart as Pharoah did.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus knocks on the door of a person's heart, but it is up to us to open the door. Jesus does not knock down the door with a battering ram and mind wipe us to do His will. We have to choose this day in whom we will serve. God is not going to believe for us, and neither is He going to force us to do His will against our own will as if we were puppets on strings.
What happened to Paul on the road to Damascus ?

Did Jesus knock him down to the ground and blind him ?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What happened to Paul on the road to Damascus ?

Did Jesus knock him down to the ground and blind him ?

I don't see how that is proof of Calvinism. If Calvinism was true in this particular story, we would have the Lord Jesus saying the words, “I Elect you Saul to salvation, and your will is no more,” etc., etc.

Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't see how that is proof of Calvinism. If Calvinism was true in this particular story, we would have the Lord Jesus saying the words, “I Elect you Saul to salvation, and your will is no more,” etc., etc.
But scripture is saying exactly that. Saul's will/desire was no more because he stopped persecuting the Christians and even fervently preached the Gospel as an apostle which means sent by God.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But scripture is saying exactly that. Saul's will/desire was no more because he stopped persecuting the Christians and even fervently preached the Gospel as an apostle which means sent by God.

No, the text does not make it clear Saul (Paul) stopped in the Calvinistic sense. Conditional Salvationism and or free will is not in contradiction to what happened with Saul's (Paul's) conversion. I see it as Saul not acting in full knowlwedge of God's will and the Lord made known that knowledge to him by direct revelation. God has also spoke to unbelievers and there was no mention that they converted to the faith. Genesis 20:3 says, “But God came to Abimelech in a dream by night, and said to him, Behold, thou art but a dead man, for the woman which thou hast taken; for she is a man's wife.” So just because God spoke with Saul and the Lord knew Paul would respond favorably is not proof of Calvinism. We would need something more concrete than that to prove Calvinism. But we know Calvinism is not true because it does not exist in the Scriptures; Especially in light of 2 Thessalonians 2:10, Luke 13:3, and Jonah 3. Calvinism also does not align with basic morality and thus cannot be made into a real world example or parable like all the other important spiritual truths taught to us by the Lord Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

If Calvinism was true, something like the scenario below is how thing would play out with Saul (Paul) at his conversion.

The apostle Paul: “Who are you Lord?”
The Lord says: “Jesus in whom you persecute.”
The apostle Paul: “I resist you!”
The apostle Paul: “I will destroy you!“
The Lord says: “I am the creator of the universe.”
The apostle Paul: “So you say.”
The Lord says: Enough! Your will and mind is no more. You will obey me now and accept me now.
The apostle Paul: “As you wish my Lord. I will obey you.”​

Did this happen?
No. Thus Calvinism cannot be proven from Paul's conversion as it is currently shown in Scripture.
For nothing of the sort above has ever been recorded by any believer's conversion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spiritual Jew
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
For God created mankind with "free will" so that he is capable of exhibiting "true love" towards God. For "true love" is always by choice and is never forced. In fact, to illustrate this point, here is an example from a comic book story line about an almost God like entity or villain called the "Beyonder" letting a super heroine named "Dazzler" free from his powerful spell of forced love.

BeyonderandDazzler_zps5be064fc.png

SecretWars2Issue4_zps45513e8c.jpg

"Secret Wars 2:"
Secret Wars II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Important Note: I used to be a huge Marvel comics fan, but I no longer read Marvel comics (like in my old life) because my life is focused in following Christ. The snippet of this comic is only used for illustrative purposes to make a point. I would not encourage anyone to collect and overly involve themselves in Marvel comics, and neither would I encourage anyone to get caught up in watching any Marvel movies, etc., either).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For God created mankind with "free will" so that he is capable of exhibiting "true love" towards God. For "true love" is always by choice and is never forced. In fact, to illustrate this point, here is an example from a comic book story line about an almost God like entity or villain called the "Beyonder" letting a super heroine named "Dazzler" free from his powerful spell of forced love.

BeyonderandDazzler_zps5be064fc.png

SecretWars2Issue4_zps45513e8c.jpg

"Secret Wars 2:"
Secret Wars II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Important Note: I used to be a huge Marvel comics fan, but I no longer read Marvel comics (like in my old life) because my life is focused in following Christ. The snippet of this comic is only used for illustrative purposes to make a point. I would not encourage anyone to collect and overly involve themselves in Marvel comics, and neither would I encourage anyone to get caught up in watching any Marvel movies, etc., either).
True worship is drawn out by the object of worship. I don't blindly choose to trust in Jesus, it's because he's worthy. I can't choose/decide to not love Jesus and I don't think you can either.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
True worship is drawn out by the object of worship. I don't blindly choose to trust in Jesus, it's because he's worthy. I can't choose/decide to not love Jesus and I don't think you can either.

2 Thessalonians 2:10 shows that the reason why those who perish are perishing because they received not the love of the truth that they might be saved. So this shows that salvation is conditional. For there are those who could have been saved but they simply chose not to receive the love of the truth. God did not force them into a position of not believing. God does not force any of us to love Him, either. God is not like the Beyonder. He does not impose His power on others in order to force them to love Him. It's not only unbiblical, but it would be immoral of God to force others who have free will choice to love so as to love Him against their own free will. It would not be true love. Love is a choice that we make (after the truth is revealed to us), and it is not enforced upon us by God.

Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
2 Thessalonians 2:10 shows that the reason why those who perish are perishing because they received not the love of the truth that they might be saved. So this shows that salvation is conditional. For there are those who could have been saved but they simply chose not to receive the love of the truth. God did not force them into a position of not believing. God does not force any of us to love Him, either. God is not like the Beyonder. He does not impose His power on others in order to force them to love Him. It's not only unbiblical, but it would be immoral of God to force others who have free will choice to love so as to love Him against their own free will. It would not be true love. Love is a choice that we make (after the truth is revealed to us), and it is not enforced upon us by God.
But Love is not a decision. Love is God's Eternal Spirit which we experience and which gives our existence meaning. God is Love and to Love God is to value His Spirit. For God's Spirit is the Life of man which includes man's sentience and will. Respectfully, you're argument is kind of like the dirt arguing that God had no right to breathe into the dirt and force the the dirt to become a man.

Upvote 0

Butch5

Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don’t quite understand. There is several verses in romans that sounds a lot like predestination. There is also a ton of verses that talk about making the choice to follow Christ. I want to believe free will. The idea that God decides who is gonna follow Him and who He’s gonna throw in Hell I find disturbing. If you support predestination please explain the verses that speak about free will. Ex John 3:16. That’s just one of many. And if your for free will please explain the verses that sound like presentation. Ex Romans 9:21-23. Also I know about Armineaism but Romans 9:21-23 doesn’t sound like it’s based on our choices

Hi Brother Kane, the idea of predestination as it's taught today isn't a Biblical concept. God doesn't choose which individuals get saved. He's left that open to each person. In the Bible, predestination, which simply means to predetermine something, refers to Israel. God had made a promise, or predetermined, that He would make a great nation of Abraham. That nation is Israel. Israel was predetermined or predestined. The passages you referenced in Romans are passages in which Paul is speaking to the Jewish members of the Church at Rome. He begins to address the Jewish believers at Romans 2:17 and carries this discussion on through 11:13 where he turns his attention to the Gentiles.
After opening his letter to the Church in general he says,

17 Behold, thou art called a Jew, and restest in the law, and makest thy boast of God, (Rom. 2:17 KJV)

He continues this discussion through 11:13

13 For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office: (Rom. 11:13 KJV)

So, everything between these passages is addressed to the Jewish believers in the Church at Rome. So, to the Jewish believers he said,

28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified. (Rom. 8:28-30 KJV)

We see here that those who were predestined were those God foreknew, or knew in the past. The Greek word translated foreknew literally means to know before. Who did God know before Paul wrote? It was the Jews. But, you don't have to take my word for it. Paul tells us who they are in this same discourse. Those who God foreknew are Israelites.

I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.
2 God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel, saying, (Rom. 11:1-2 KJV)

So, we can see that those who God foreknew were Israelites and it is they who were predestined. Just as God promised Abraham that He would make of him a great nation, we see it here.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But Love is not a decision. Love is God's Eternal Spirit which we experience and which gives our existence meaning. God is Love and to Love God is to value His Spirit. For God's Spirit is the Life of man which includes man's sentience and will. Respectfully, you're argument is kind of like the dirt arguing that God had no right to breathe into the dirt and force the the dirt to become a man.

It is true that God is love (1 John 4:8), but it is false to say that love is not a decision. The Lord Jesus Christ taught Himself that to:

#1. Hear that the Lord our God is one,
and to love God with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength, and
#2. Love your neighbor​

...are the two greatest commandments (Mark 12:29-31).

This would not make any sense for God to command us to love if love is not a decision. For we know there are those who do not obey God's commands. Also, Jesus says that if we love Him we are to keep His commandments (See: John 14:15). In fact, the Lord Jesus says if we are to abide in His love by keeping His commands (See: John 15:10).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is true that God is love (1 John 4:8), but it is false to say that love is not a decision. The Lord Jesus Christ taught Himself that to:

#1. Hear that the Lord our God is one,
and to love God with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength, and
#2. Love your neighbor​

...are the two greatest commandments (Mark 12:29-31).

This would not make any sense for God to command us to love if love is not a decision. For we know there are those who do not obey God's commands. Also, Jesus says that if we love Him we are to keep His commandments (See: John 14:15). In fact, the Lord Jesus says if we are to abide in His love by keeping His commands (See: John 15:10).
Love/God doesn't manifest and disappear at our discretion.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Love/God doesn't manifest and disappear at our discretion.

Scripture tells us to draw near to God and he will draw near to you (See: James 4:8).
1 John 2:3-4 is the proof in the pudding if a person abides in the Lord or not.
We cannot do anything loving or good without the Lord.
For Jesus says we cannot do anything without Him (John 15:5).
It is a free will cooperation (or CO-operation).
Amos 3:3 says, Can two walk together, except they be agreed?
Philippians 2:13 says it is God who works in you to do of His good will and pleasure.
Jesus gets glory both in saving us by His grace and by working in us to do good and to love.
But Jesus is not forcing us to love and do good alone.
We have to choose and decide to abide in the Lord and His good ways.
Otherwise, you would see everyone perfectly obeying God because they made a one time decision in accepting Christ. The individual is to blame and not God for any person's lack of not wanting to obey and love God.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Which includes loving God. Amen?

But how does this statement disprove what I said before?
My point is that we have to choose to love God.
Love is not something God forces upon us.

Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But how does this statement disprove what I said before?
My point is that we have to choose to love God.
Love is not something God forces upon us.
But God breathed into us His Spirit. The dirt didn't ask to be made into a man. I agree we have to Love God but not because He commands it but because He is our goodness.

Upvote 0