Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So you are saying what? Jesus is wrong to have stated this passage because it puts responsibility on man? "But YOU WERE NOT WILLING," seems to have a subject that is human and a verb form "to will." God (Jesus speaking) has longed ...so God desires but man was not willing.

Again, this passage is one of hundreds that falsifies "No free will."
Free will = the ability to choose what one prefers without external force or constraint.

Man's free will is limited, he does not have the moral power to make all moral choices; i.e., he cannot choose to live sinlessly.
However, there are many things he prefers which he is able to choose without external force or constraint.

The unregenerate man does not choose the things of God because he does not prefer them.
Further, it demonstrates that we don't have a world where, "God always gets what he wants" (falsifying Calvin's view of providence).

This is a defeater for the total depravity view. One needs to engage it, and explain it. Feel free to quote whomever you like. But we are called to be able to handle the data of scripture not reduce and eliminate those scriptures that don't fit into our world view (as we all do from time to time).

Clearly I don't think man is able to present themselves as sinless so as to make their reliance on Christ's sacrifice unnecessary! But I do think they have the freedom to engage the claims and accept them as rational and true. The HS/human mix of inputs to human decisions and actions seems to me to be underdetermined by the scriptures. My claim is that it isn't not solely human will and not soley HS but a blend...further our walk and maturity in Christ also seems to be a function of our action and HS action.

This salvific blend in fact seems to be we have freedom to comprehend God's offer and respond or reject it. We don't have any ability to earn salvation. So that certainly separates me from Erasmus, but to be fair Luther would have called me a heretic and at least assaulted me for quoting Luke 13:34.

• Agree
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0