• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Free Masons

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Searching_for_Christ, May 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Searching_for_Christ

Searching_for_Christ simul justus et peccator

+171
    Lutheran
    Single
    US-Others
    Why are they bad? I have always wanted to know the reasons as to why the Catholic Church especially has huge issues with them.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Fenwick

Fenwick Faithful then, faithful now!

+6,793
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Republican
    I can't speak on the Catholic Church's reasons per se, but most of what I've heard is that in the innermost circles of Freemasonry they dabble in the occult or something. Whether that's true or not, I'm not sure, and I tend to take most of that sort of thing with a grain of salt when I hear it. My mother-in-law is a massive conspiracy theorist and she was the first one I heard that from years back, so I'm reluctant to accept that as any sort of truth since it came from her.

My maternal grandfather was a Mason, though I don't think he was ranked high in any sense so he may not have been exposed to some of their more secretive practices or beliefs or whatever.

3. mark46

mark46 Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,846
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Masonry has hsitorically been profoundly anti-Catholic. While lower orders seem positive (helping in the community), higher orders are filled with much paganism. Many church have allowed their members to be part of free masonry, but not the Catholic Church, and with good reason.

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Masonry (Freemasonry)

4. Simpleman25

Simpleman25 Member

+24
    Methodist
    Married

Even though the Catholic church frowns on membership, I've met lots of Catholics that have joined regardless.

There are no such thing as a higher group of masons. Masons are comprised of three degrees commonly known as the blue lodge.

Don't believe all the nonsense you hear.

5. Rhamiel

Rhamiel Member of the Round Table

+8,766
    Catholic
    Single
    it is uncharitable to believe the more outlandish tales you hear about the Freemasons

there are several reasons that the Church does not support the freemasons
    they have been linked to the Revolutions in the USA, France, South America, Italy, Germany
    all of these having a very secular and sometimes even anti-clerical character to them

the Freemasons support religious indifferentism, the idea that all religions are equally true and equally good
    also many Freemasons were Deists
    the Freemasonic lodges were created during the "Enlightenment" so it comes as no surprise that it takes on some of the characteristics of that age.

6. Searching_for_Christ

+171
    Lutheran
    Single
    US-Others
    Do those Catholics know they are excommunicated?

7. mark46

+2,846
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Apparently not

8. Simpleman25

Simpleman25 Member

+24
    Methodist
    Married

Every one of the men I know are still part of their parish.

9. Searching_for_Christ

+171
    Lutheran
    Single
    US-Others
    I'm pretty sure that joining the masons incurs automatic excommunication from the Church.

10. Simpleman25

Simpleman25 Member

+24
    Methodist
    Married

Part of the revolutions that we were a part of had to do with religious freedoms. Freedom to choose what church we worshiped at.

Biggest reason the Vatican dislikes us. They don't want anyone with the ability to choose anything they don't approve of.

11. stone

stone Senior Contributor Supporter

+427
    Catholic
    Married
    Does excommunication have to be a formal process?

12. Rhamiel

+8,766
    Catholic
    Single
    many Catholics do not take their faith very seriously

this is another reason why the Catholic Church disapproves of Freemasonry
    it sets up a "counter church" in that the Lodge takes the place of the Church in the lives of its members, feeding them a sense of identity not based on the Gospel of Jesus Christ, but on the worship of self that is endemic of the secular humanism of the Enlightenment

13. Simpleman25

Simpleman25 Member

+24
    Methodist
    Married

That is complete and utter nonsense. The lodge does not take the place of my church, nor any church in any country.

Better quit reading those conspiracy nut jobs rantings.

14. Rhamiel

+8,766
    Catholic
    Single

The Catholic Church teaches that man is made in the image of God

The fomenting of war after war, setting up tyrannies like the Reign of Terror in France, the endless line of secular dictators of South America...
    these affronts to the dignity and freedom of the human person are abominable to Christian Church.

if nothing else, the bloody history of Freemasons spreading revolutions against legitimate governments should be enough to warn Christians away from joining such a group

15. Rhamiel

+8,766
    Catholic
    Single
    ceremonies, special "vestments", an opaque symbolism that even the most byzantine Catholics would blush at. Offering a sense of identity. fancy buildings.
    nope, nothing like a church there.

I am not supporting conspiracy theories
    I did not claim that freemasons were thousands of years old
    or that they secretly control the government
    or killed JFK
    I am not even saying that they are satanic or pagan.

no conspiracy, it is just a bad group
    pretty simple

16. Simpleman25

Simpleman25 Member

+24
    Methodist
    Married

For it to be a church wouldn't we need a head of freemasonry? There isn't one.

Wouldn't we need something to worship? We don't.

We use a KJV of the bible for every meeting and offer prayers to Jesus.

Our symbolism pales in comparison to the Catholic church.

Again, find better resources and material.

17. Simpleman25

Simpleman25 Member

+24
    Methodist
    Married

Name one legitimate government that masons have a bloody history with.

Don't look to hard, it doesn't exist.

18. Sarcalogos Deus

Sarcalogos Deus Welch Ein Mensch!

+47
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Republican
    I would have to agree with you their. I've only ever been to a Freemason lodge once and that was when I was younger and I was being given a academic and civic achievement award, but the whole place seemed like a club house which isn't very church like.

19. KatherineS

KatherineS Well-Known Member

+155
    Catholic
    Are Masons bad? I would say not. In English speaking countries they tend to be nice, civic minded people. They are no more guilty of indifferentism than the Boy Scouts, both supporting vague sense of duty to God as the person understands it and supporting people's involvement in their chosen religion.

In Europe, however, Freemasonry has been involved in right-wing anti-clerical politics. Historically, the Church had legitimate issues with it.

Many groups call themselves Masons but are not affiliated with the Grand Lodge. The Church has not clarified if these unaffilated groups come under the ban. The Prince Hall Masons is one, or for that matter, the Mason Tenders.

20. mark46

+2,846
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    I have given the teaching of the Church. It is quite simple.

We could "debate" Catholic teaching but unless a Catholic wants to do so, that will not happen in violation of the rules. If any Catholic is confused and wants more information, we will certainly point them in the right direction.

Masons welcome people of all faiths. Secret societies with their rituals are not accepted the Church. Since you are not Catholic, you are free to be part of whatever organization you wish.

Comparing freemasonry to Catholicism is not welcome here. Take your anti-Catholic somewhere else. It is not welcome and against the rules here on this fellowship board.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.