Free Market Religion

J_B_

I have answers to questions no one ever asks.
May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I recently found Phil Vischer's podcast entitled "Holy Post". (Yes, that Phil Vischer, one of the Veggie Tales creators). I watched a few episodes and they have some interesting discussions.

In one of the most recent they were discussing Christian Nationalism, and Skye Jethani used the phrase "free market religion" to describe the state of Christianity in the U.S. In another place they referred to "entrepreneurial religion". I think those terms nail it perfectly.

Apparently his podcast has become quite successful, so has anyone else ever listened to it? If so, what are your thoughts on the positions they take?

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I recently found Phil Vischer's podcast entitled "Holy Post". (Yes, that Phil Vischer, one of the Veggie Tales creators). I watched a few episodes and they have some interesting discussions.

In one of the most recent they were discussing Christian Nationalism, and Skye Jethani used the phrase "free market religion" to describe the state of Christianity in the U.S. In another place they referred to "entrepreneurial religion". I think those terms nail it perfectly.

Apparently his podcast has become quite successful, so has anyone else ever listened to it? If so, what are your thoughts on the positions they take?

I’ve been listening for a few months- since he put out one of his racism videos, though I might have gone back farther into the catalog.

It’s a decent podcast, though a bit hit or miss at times. (I thought the segment on transgenderism was pretty weak) I think it would be better with more preparation and with less overt attempts to dumb things down. Phil’s solo content that’s all researched and scripted is great, so the unscripted podcasts often leave me feeling a little unsatisfied.

Regarding their positions, I usually find myself in agreement.

Upvote 0

J_B_

May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It’s a decent podcast, though a bit hit or miss at times.

Sure. I skipped over a few things as well, but one can't expect perfection all the time.

Regarding their positions, I usually find myself in agreement.

For the most part, I have as well. But as I said, I'm new to it. I never knew much about Vischer, but always assumed he was fairly conservative despite a cutting sense of humor - given what was Veggie Tales. I've since learned more, and he is maybe more of a rebel than I had thought. What I wondered is if he is a rebel against the extreme right who is still fairly conservative, or if he is more liberal than I realized.

So far it seems more the former, but I thought others might know more.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

I think the ‘terms’ are spot on also, particularly within non denominations. Is there a link for these podcasts?

Upvote 0

J_B_

May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
  • Useful
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Sure. I skipped over a few things as well, but one can't expect perfection all the time.

For the most part, I have as well. But as I said, I'm new to it. I never knew much about Vischer, but always assumed he was fairly conservative despite a cutting sense of humor - given what was Veggie Tales. I've since learned more, and he is maybe more of a rebel than I had thought. What I wondered is if he is a rebel against the extreme right who is still fairly conservative, or if he is more liberal than I realized.

So far it seems more the former, but I thought others might know more.

I wouldn’t call him liberal or a rebel, but he and the other hosts reject the conflation of Republican politics with Christian doctrine and the idolatry of Trump. They’re still conservative, but they approach policy from a perspective of Christian ethics and pragmatism rather than partisanship.

Upvote 0

J_B_

May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I wouldn’t call him liberal or a rebel, but he and the other hosts reject the conflation of Republican politics with Christian doctrine and the idolatry of Trump. They’re still conservative, but they approach policy from a perspective of Christian ethics and pragmatism rather than partisanship.

That's a good way to put it.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0