Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
On The Right

Free Bowe Bergdahl, Then Court-Martial Him For Desertion
20 Comments
By CHARLES KRAUTHAMMER

Posted 06/05/2014

Read More At Investor's Business Daily: Charles Krauthammer Says Free Bergdahl, Then Court-Martial Him - Investors.com

I'll believe it when I see it. Justice! Of course it won't happen because if anything Bergdahl's father would go off on his Taliban sympathizer Twitter account and there would be all sorts of fall out from the left.

But, I would be happy to be wrong all the way around.

Impeach Obama. Court Martial Bergdahl. One can hope.

GarfieldJL

Dec 10, 2012
✟26,292.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
He has yet to be tried for desertion. He is innocent until proven guilty. Even in the military, there is a trial.

Except the Obama Administration will have every motive to try to have the prosecution deliberately botch the case, or simply have it dismissed without it ever going to trial.

Upvote 0

GondwanaLand

Dec 8, 2013
✟44,972.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Actually there is grounds to have him executed since he deserted his post near the front lines during wartime. If I remember correctly, that is a capital offense.
Were we actually at war, that would be true. But no war was declared in Afghanistan, just military action authorized by Congress. As such, if he were tried and found guilty of desertion, the max he would face is dishonorable discharge and 5 years in prison.

Upvote 0

SaphireOwl

Who are you?Whoo whoo whoo whoo! Yeah, I know
May 15, 2014
✟1,488.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Actually there is grounds to have him executed since he deserted his post near the front lines during wartime. If I remember correctly, that is a capital offense.

That's my understanding as well. I'd hope authorities are taking the time to compile the evidence against him while he's recovering in hospital in Germany.
Ideally the trial would be broadcast but that may be wishful thinking.

Upvote 0

SaphireOwl

Who are you?Whoo whoo whoo whoo! Yeah, I know
May 15, 2014
✟1,488.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Except the Obama Administration will have every motive to try to have the prosecution deliberately botch the case, or simply have it dismissed without it ever going to trial.

I wouldn't think he could have the trial dismissed and that not make him appear as if he's as corrupt as presently appears.

I imagine if he did succeed in that venture though that that would be the final straw and Obama would be impeached ASAP.

Upvote 0

GondwanaLand

Dec 8, 2013
✟44,972.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't think it would be politically prudent not to try him for desertion, at the very least.
Sure, no argument there, accusations have been brought up and he should certainly stand at a court martial for the truth to be hashed out. Although, I must say the GOP outrage machine will have long moved on to another new thing to faux-outrage at. Right now he's in the hospital in Germany and it'll likely be a few weeks or more before he comes home. Then you need the official filing of the charges, and then the court martial itself which can take months, so likely not much will be heard about this until probably Spring or later next year, once the hysteria dies down the next few weeks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GarfieldJL

Dec 10, 2012
✟26,292.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think it would be politically prudent not to try him for desertion, at the very least.

Why would Obama care, it's not like Reid would let an impeachment go anywhere, and it isn't like he has to run for re-election.

Upvote 0
C

conamer

Sure, no argument there, accusations have been brought up and he should certainly stand at a court martial for the truth to be hashed out. Although, I must say the GOP outrage machine will have long moved on to another new thing to faux-outrage at. Right now he's in the hospital in Germany and it'll likely be a few weeks or more before he comes home. Then you need the official filing of the charges, and then the court martial itself which can take months, so likely not much will be heard about this until probably Spring or later next year, once the hysteria dies down the next few weeks.

To bad for the sycophants that it isn't just the GOP who is outraged by yet another snafu.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HonestTruth

Jul 4, 2013
Reaganomics: TOTAL FAIL
✟9,787.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Swiftboating of Bowe Bergdahl Turns Into a Republican Disaster With Torture Revelation

The revelation that Bergdahl was tortured means that Republicans are not only attacking the credibility of a soldier, but they are attacking a soldier who was tortured by the enemy.

Even by the new Obama era standards for conservative hate, this is low. The possibility that Sgt. Bergdahl was tortured confirms the White House’s reasoning for making a deal to bring Bergdahl home. Republicans have painted themselves into a corner with their attacks on Bergdahl, and they are now showing signs of looking for a way out of their latest self-induced political disaster.

While the attack Bergdahl to make Obama look bad gambit plays well with Republicans, it is making the right look bad with the rest of the country.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Swiftboating of Bowe Bergdahl Turns Into a Republican Disaster With Torture Revelation

The revelation that Bergdahl was tortured means that Republicans are not only attacking the credibility of a soldier, but they are attacking a soldier who was tortured by the enemy.

Even by the new Obama era standards for conservative hate, this is low. The possibility that Sgt. Bergdahl was tortured confirms the White House’s reasoning for making a deal to bring Bergdahl home. Republicans have painted themselves into a corner with their attacks on Bergdahl, and they are now showing signs of looking for a way out of their latest self-induced political disaster.

While the attack Bergdahl to make Obama look bad gambit plays well with Republicans, it is making the right look bad with the rest of the country.
If he deserted, the possibility that he was subsequently tortured is irrelevant

Upvote 0

HonestTruth

Jul 4, 2013
Reaganomics: TOTAL FAIL
✟9,787.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
MachZer0 said:
If he deserted, the possibility that he was subsequently tortured is irrelevant

If he was a deserter and loyal to Talibani as alleged by the right wing media he would not have tried to escape and face that torture.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If he was a deserter and loyal to Talibani as alleged by the right wing media he would not have tried to escape and face that torture.
There's no logic in that statement. We have no information that he was loyal to the Taliban. desertion does not mean that one is going over to the other side. And if he did attempt to go to the other side and became a tortured captive instead, that only means he miscalculated the reception he expected. Which changes noting about his desertion, if that's what it was. So no more straw men please

Upvote 0