Franklin Graham Under Fire From Facebook Followers for Saying Jesus Would Advocate for Vaccines

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Evangelical leader Franklin Graham came under fire from Facebook users after he posted Wednesday that he believes Jesus Christ would have advocated for the coronavirus vaccines.

"I have been asked my opinion about the vaccine by the media and others. I have even been asked if Jesus were physically walking on earth now, would He be an advocate for vaccines. My answer was that based on the parable of the Good Samaritan in the Bible, I would have to say—yes, I think Jesus Christ would advocate for people using vaccines and medicines to treat suffering and save lives," Graham wrote on Wednesday.

In just one day, the Facebook post received over 18,000 comments—many of which were angry, upset and confused by Graham's stance.

Franklin Graham Under Fire From Facebook Followers for Saying Jesus Would Advocate for Vaccines

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Evangelical leader Franklin Graham came under fire from Facebook users after he posted Wednesday that he believes Jesus Christ would have advocated for the coronavirus vaccines.

"I have been asked my opinion about the vaccine by the media and others. I have even been asked if Jesus were physically walking on earth now, would He be an advocate for vaccines. My answer was that based on the parable of the Good Samaritan in the Bible, I would have to say—yes, I think Jesus Christ would advocate for people using vaccines and medicines to treat suffering and save lives," Graham wrote on Wednesday.

In just one day, the Facebook post received over 18,000 comments—many of which were angry, upset and confused by Graham's stance.

The very people who deny evolution are advocating “survival of the fittest”.
Black holes of irony.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,520.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Selective scripture on Mr F's part. He could have just as easily made the point that a vaccine created by the principles of Monsanto using gene modification, went against the will of God who was having His perfect creation tampered with.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I’m uncertain of the toll this will have on Christianity in America. But we’re nearing the point where hysteria is the norm. When reason flies the coop unreasonable acts seem plausible. And doing what’s right ‘for the greater good’ can have unpleasant consequences. Our biggest threat may be sitting beside us.

~bella

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Selective scripture on Mr F's part. He could have just as easily made the point that a vaccine created by the principles of Monsanto using gene modification, went against the will of God who was having His perfect creation tampered with.
You could say the same thing about making steel, which we dont find in original creation.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,422,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"I have been asked my opinion about the vaccine by the media and others. I have even been asked if Jesus were physically walking on earth now, would He be an advocate for vaccines. My answer was that based on the parable of the Good Samaritan in the Bible, I would have to say—yes, I think Jesus Christ would advocate for people using vaccines and medicines to treat suffering and save lives,"

IMO, one should not attempt to answer such a literal question. I may be mistaken, but I don't recall reading that Jesus ever advocated for medical care (of the day) directly. The parable of the Good Samaritan mentions aid was rendered, however that isn't the central point of the parable - to answer "Who is my neighbor?"

A better answer may have been simply - "As a Christian, we should support life."

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No matter which side a prominent figure, especially a religious leader, takes in answer to a question about a controversial political issue, he's going to get thousands of questioning and even angry replies on social media. It means almost nothing.

Presumably, a response could be criticized if it, for example, included some offensive terminology or made erroneous statements of fact, but none of that was present in this case.

• Agree
Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,520.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You could say the same thing about making steel, which we dont find in original creation
Mixing ingredients together to make a meal or a metal is not the same as changing the natural behaviour of those ingredients to become a new being.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

No good deed goes unpunished.

• Haha
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,520.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
"As a Christian, we should support life."
True but should man alter life in the process to become something else? Kind of smacks of something the Adversary would do. There was a natural process used until Monsanto came along. Now we are redesigning plants, vaccines and soon humans (all non-hybrids) to suit ourselves. More rebellion against God.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Mixing ingredients together to make a meal or a metal is not the same as changing the natural behaviour of those ingredients to become a new being.
It is the same in that its bringing forth a novel form of the stuff that was ostensibly "perfect creation", to use you words. Why does perfect creation need a new metal alloy?

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Only 18,000 ?

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,422,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
True but should man alter life in the process to become something else? Kind of smacks of something the Adversary would do. There was a natural process used until Monsanto came along. Now we are redesigning plants, vaccines and soon humans (all non-hybrids) to suit ourselves. More rebellion against God.

Should man intervene at all with our natural biological processes? Hooking up a respirator or using chemo therapy to fight cancer are not natural processes...

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Should man intervene at all with our natural biological processes? Hooking up a respirator or using chemo therapy to fight cancer are not natural processes...

Or, using a tourniquet. The Christian thing to do is just let them bleed out, apparently.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A better answer may have been simply - "As a Christian, we should support life."
I agree, all life as everyone is our neighbor.
When we look at the details in the story we can see that this includes life-saving medical care. I agree with Franklin Graham's view of vaccines and medicines being a part of life-saving medical care.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I agree with Franklin Graham's view of vaccines and medicines being a part of life-saving medical care.
In addition, he clearly said that the reply was his own opinion, not that the Bible commanded it or anything of that sort.

Upvote 0