Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
OK, I am about 3/4 through. I sympathize a great deal with the creature. Maybe that is the only similarity with the classic movie. I am intrigued with the theme that the creator hates his creation. And why? Why does he hate him so much? Because he hates himself?

Anyone else read it? What are your thought?

literature.org

Rene Loup

Left the pack, joined the flock.
Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've only read a summary and I'm going by memory. If I remember correctly, Victor Frankenstein feverishly worked hard to create the monster, intending it to be beautiful. After successfully bringing it to life, however, he realized how repulsive it looked and abandoned it. The monster became increasingly resentful, eventually becoming homicidal because of the people's reactions to it. It was only then Victor had to destroy the monster.

Now that I think of it, it has themes of parental abandonment due to disappointment with a child, whom grows up as a criminal afterwards. Self-hatred over physical appearance is another. The monster reads Genesis 1-2 and concludes its creator must've been the devil himself, being nothing like Adam. There's also a desire for a companion which only Victor could provide, but intentionally botches it halfway out of fear of them reproducing. This finally broke the monster, leading to the killing spree. Finally, there's remorse over a burned bridge that's now too late to rebuild, and the monster decides to commit suicide by self-immolation. Victor was the monster's only family.

Essentially, it's a tragic story about an ugly child that was abandoned, never felt loved by man nor God, grew up to be a murderer, and then commits suicide after realizing its poor life choices wasn't bringing it any peace in life.

Again, I'm only going by memory. It's been a long time since I read the summary.

• Informative
Reactions: Occams Barber
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟915,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Nope and probably wont, but I did see a great quote yesterday:

Intelligence is recognising Frankenstein is not the monster
Wisdom is recognising Frankenstein is the monster

I like that but might offer a different version:

Intelligence is recognizing Frankenstein is the name of the man who created the frightening zombie-like man.

Wisdom is recognizing there are two monsters in the story, one worse than the other.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I like that but might offer a different version:

Intelligence is recognizing Frankenstein is the name of the man who created the frightening zombie-like man.

Wisdom is recognizing there are two monsters in the story, one worse than the other.

Yeah, that nice and pithy scans much better. :doh:.

Packet of peanuts: Warning, contains nuts.

Reactions: ewq1938
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟278,829.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's the movie version. In the book the monster is very intelligent and sensitive.

What comes to mind for me is Adam and Eve sinning. Immediately they felt shame and guilt. So also for Frankenstein and he abandons his creation.

In modern times we are doing so much with genetics and hybrids. But no sense of reflection on the appropriateness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟915,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That's the movie version. In the book the monster is very intelligent and sensitive.

I only said he was frightening looking and zombie like. Nothing about hard hearted or dumb :)

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟278,829.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I only said he was frightening looking and zombie like. Nothing about hard hearted or dumb :)
Zombie like threw me. They seem to have no soul or intelligence. The monster (poor thing has no name) hmm symbolism in that? he yearns for fulfillment and the simple pleasures of life. Abandoned by his creator who hates him, he returns the hatred.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟278,829.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why did he create the monster?

"A new species would bless me as its creator and source; many happy and excellent natures would owe their being to me. I might in process of time (although I now found it impossible) renew life where death had apparently devoted the body to corruption."

He created t shortly after the death of his mother.

Prometheus?
"At one point, it becomes clear that Victor Frankenstein becomes the personification of the Prometheus Myth. He is the embodiment of modern Prometheus, who has tried to become God but failed. In Greek and Roman mythology, the creation of humans is attributed to Prometheus. He steals fire from the heavens to keep his people warm. Furthermore, he repeatedly defies Zeus to better the lives of humans. The myth of Prometheus can help readers understand Frankenstein’s motivations. Victor uses science to make a new life. However, unlike Prometheus, he has no idea how to care for his new creature."

Prometheus, the Titan God of Forethought, pondered deeply and then began to craft man out of clay. He gave man the gift to walk upright like the gods and then breathed into man the gift of Reason. For his last gift, Prometheus stole Fire from the House of the Sun and gave it to man.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟278,829.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey, didn't someone here mention the movie with Robert DeNiro? I don't see that post now. But I do recall seeing trailers for it, never saw it though. And I don't know about the rest of you but I usually don't like the movie if I read the book first. Rather, see the movie and then get the further details in the book.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟571,281.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey, didn't someone here mention the movie with Robert DeNiro? I don't see that post now. But I do recall seeing trailers for it, never saw it though. And I don't know about the rest of you but I usually don't like the movie if I read the book first. Rather, see the movie and then get the further details in the book.

The only movie version I've ever seen (and I've seen several) that actually comes close to following the book is the 2004 miniseries https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368730/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_63

Last edited:
Upvote 0