France - What's the Real Reason They Strongly Oppose War?

I'll take wild swing, and list the reasons in no particular order, since they may be too interdependent to sort out one from another:

1) No convincing case for immediate war has been made
2) France has interests in Iraq, including but not limited to oil interests, and expect to be squeezed out after an American and British led invasion.
3) France does not want to be feared and hated by the rest of the world, or perceived as a bully who consorts only with the most powerful and the strongest nations against the less powerful and weaker nations.
4) France's citizens (in general) are opposed to the war, and France is a democracy.
5) France doesn't want to commit its fighting men and women to a war without justification.

Upvote 0

Blindfaith

God's Tornado
Feb 9, 2002
Home of the Slug
✟7,755.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I'll have to find the article, but there's a person, anonymous from the EU (potential country to join), who released some information about Jauque-baby being in cahoots, and being pals with Sadaam.  Apparently, not the French, but Jauque (I know I didn't spell that right, please correct me:)) approved the building of, and funding of, a nuclear reactor in the late 80's.

If anyone else has this article, or information, before I can get to it, please post it.  I have a throwing-up 5 year old, so I don't know how much time I'll have to search. :).  Yippee!

Upvote 0

Evangelion

<b><font size="2">δυνατός</b></font>
Jerry -

1) No convincing case for immediate war has been made
2) France has interests in Iraq, including but not limited to oil interests, and expect to be squeezed out after an American and British led invasion.
3) France does not want to be feared and hated by the rest of the world, or perceived as a bully who consorts only with the most powerful and the strongest nations against the less powerful and weaker nations.
4) France's citizens (in general) are opposed to the war, and France is a democracy.
5) France doesn't want to commit its fighting men and women to a war without justification.

I agree with all of those except (3). France already demonstrated that she doesn't care too much for foreign opinion when she detonated several nuclear devices in the middle of the Mururoa Atoll. This resulted in global condemnation, but Chirac stood firm.

And of course, with nukes in her arsenal, she has no reason to fear anyone - especially not Hussein. :cool:

Upvote 0

O'Mara

<marquee behavior=scroll direction=left scrollamou
Apr 6, 2002
All over.
✟374.00
Upvote 0

Evangelion

"More and more Islamic in proportion"? But what proportion is that? Hardly a significant one - and hardly enough to constitute an effective lobby group.

Israel's influence on America is far more significant - and that by the grace of God, I believe.

QED. :cool:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

David Gould

Pearl Harbor sucked. WinAce didn't.
May 28, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Visit site
✟29,118.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
AU-Labor
Humanitarian spirit and a desire to make the world a better place, of course.

Unfortunately not.

Oil - they have significant oil contracts with Iraq.

Jealousy of US power - France were once a world power and are no longer.

Fear of no longer being a leader in Europe - Eastern Europe is not traditionally friendly to France, and it has significant US ties, like the UK.

Internal politicing - with Chirac on the right and the majority of French sentiment against a war in Iraq, that gives a huge opportunity for the left to make an electoral move. This is in contrast to&nbsp;Blair's position: despite a huge slump in popularity, he has nothing to fear as the conservatives will not gain from a swing to the left in England. Labour in Engalnd cannot lose out of the&nbsp;deal - Chirac, however, can lose a great deal.

Poor US handling of the diplomatic situation - this contributed to a rise in anti-American sentiment in France and Germany. Foolish comments by Rumsfeldt in particular aggravated the situation and left the French especially aggravated. With the UN vote crucial to Bush in particular, the French and Germans should have been considered well in advance of any crisis with them.

&nbsp;

That is my view, at any rate.

Upvote 0
O'mara - good article. France does have a growing Islamic minority. France has opportunities here. They can show the Muslims that western values are good for everybody, and welcome Muslims into the fold - helping to marginalize the anti-west sentiment of the fundamentalist minority. I would like to think that (for that reason alone, and not out of their other interests :( ), France will listen to the voices of their Islamic minority in a manner consistent with western ideals of free expression and democracy.

Upvote 0

Evangelion

O'Mara -

Interesting, but I notice that Muslims are still defined as a minority. The article speculates on the possibility of Muslim influence on French policy, but presents nothing particularly concrete.

It estimates the Muslim population of France as somewhere between 4-5 million. France currently has a population of 61.4 million. That's not enough to change government policy.

While I agree that the French might be making some gestures for the benefit of their Muslim population, I would like to point out that America has made similar concessions to hers. This does not equate to "France is refusing to enter the war because her Muslim population won't allow it."

France's interests in the ME are both political and economic. Iraq is an old friend, and - like America - France wants Iraq's oil. Let's not forget that Iraq is the world's second-largest oil exporter. :cool:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

O'Mara

<marquee behavior=scroll direction=left scrollamou
Apr 6, 2002
All over.
✟374.00
Upvote 0