Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's the problem with involving a government in a marriage. It becomes the defacto daddy. And will always choose the more expensive options, all of the time.

Better in the more biblical days - "till death do us part" - man and wife living in the same household, working together for the benefit of the family. Anything else, and Satan will twist as much as he can.
But what if instead of being innocent, he were guilty, as some people are, of being a pedophile, looking at computer inappropriate content, but not touching actually children - should they still live together "till death do us part" with the kids in the house? Or, if the mother is guilty of abuse or neglect of the children, it's better for the defacto daddy to step in for the welfare of the children than let it continue unabated.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,569.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, I get the "can you take a look my computer" think all the time from friends and family
(I do software development for my job...but I know to do basic hardware swap-outs and the basic stuff like cleaning up after viruses)

Luckily, I've never encountered anything illegal while doing that, just some awkward uncomfortable conversations to be had with certain relatives after I've "seen what they've seen" sort of thing.

99% of the viruses come from inappropriate content sites...specifically, when people use IE to look at inappropriate content sites. My usual advice to them is "if you feel like you have to look at that stuff, at least stick with the mainstream sites and when you do, use Chrome/Opera/Firefox and not IE or Edge".

Is it true that the Deep Web is just sensationalism? The Dark Web as You Know It Is a Myth

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,196,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Is it true that the Deep Web is just sensationalism? The Dark Web as You Know It Is a Myth

For the most part yes...at least in my experience with it. Obviously there were the popular sites like "Silk Road" and some websites in the "financial services" section of the "hidden wiki" that claim to sell paypal accounts and credit card accounts, but most (if not all) of those are just scams to convince people to hand over money (via BitCoin) with no outlet for getting reported when they take your money and run.

What are people going to do? Call the cops and say "hey, I was trying to buy a stolen paypal account off of this guy on the internet and he ripped me off!" lol

Most of what I saw was just, believe it or not,
1) people posting pictures of steam tunnels (because apparently it's popular thing to do to have your own onion site where you sneak into the steam tunnels of your university or place of business and post the pics),
2) poorly indexed pdf book repositories (of stuff that you can easily find on the surface web)
3) people claiming to be leaking "government secrets" with no actual proof that they didn't just make the documents themselves.
4) a few independent news sources like ProPublica and a few others that simply just want to have a "deep web" presence...(it's just a mirror of what their site is on the surface web)

Even the few onion search engines you can find house mostly dead links (or links that take up to 5 minutes to load)

Basically, it's not the boogeyman people seem to think it is...at least, not any more than the plain old surface web.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟551,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
99% of the viruses come from inappropriate content sites...specifically, when people use IE to look at inappropriate content sites. My usual advice to them is "if you feel like you have to look at that stuff, at least stick with the mainstream sites and when you do, use Chrome/Opera/Firefox and not IE or Edge".

Chrome isn't immune. Your computer may not get jacked, but Chrome itself can. *cough* trust me *cough*

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,196,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Chrome isn't immune. Your computer may not get jacked, but Chrome itself can. *cough* trust me *cough*

Well yes, lol, Chrome isn't immune...I don't think any browser would be 100% immune to someone who really knows their way around client-side scripting.

However, if a inappropriate content virus is a metaphorical bullet, Chrome/Opera/Firefox would be like a basic bullet-proof vest as to where IE/Edge would be like sporting a mesh tank top.

...and when seeking out that kind of content, it would be advised to stick within the realm of your mainstream "hub" cough* I mean, I've heard *cough* lol.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟551,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well yes, lol, Chrome isn't immune...I don't think any browser would be 100% immune to someone who really knows their way around client-side scripting.

However, if a inappropriate content virus is a metaphorical bullet, Chrome/Opera/Firefox would be like a basic bullet-proof vest as to where IE/Edge would be like sporting a mesh tank top.

...and when seeking out that kind of content, it would be advised to stick within the realm of your mainstream "hub" cough* I mean, I've heard *cough* lol.

The "hub" isn't immune.

*ahem*

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,196,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The "hub" isn't immune.
*ahem*

lol, wow, you've had all kinds of bad luck.

I guess it's possible for any site to be compromised by a rogue ad at some point or another. However, sites that are heavily funded by the "professional" sites (via ad dollars) should have a vested interest in keeping malicious scripts off of their pages...you'd think.

It'd be sort of like if Google invested in running ads on an independent tech-review website advertising their cloud services, and that website also ran malicious scripts that were infecting peoples' computers, I can imagine Google getting on the horn and in no uncertain terms saying "we don't want that junk associated with our name, keep it off of there or you can say bye bye to that $3000 check we cut you every month"

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,196,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The hub is polluted by popups which I suspect are/were the cause.

If you're really trying to get as secure as possible (whether the internet activity contains "mature" websites or not), my usual recommendation is for people to set up a VM, configure it to have just the bare minimum resources to run the OS, configure it so that the VM has no direct file access to the host machine, and then make an immediate backup from the VM before anything is done in it. That way, if something does tank it, you can merely just delete the VM file, and create a fresh copy from the backup.

Granted, that's more than most average computer users want to do for security...most merely just install AVG Free or Avast and hope for the best.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,569.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
For the most part yes...at least in my experience with it. Obviously there were the popular sites like "Silk Road" and some websites in the "financial services" section of the "hidden wiki" that claim to sell paypal accounts and credit card accounts, but most (if not all) of those are just scams to convince people to hand over money (via BitCoin) with no outlet for getting reported when they take your money and run.

What are people going to do? Call the cops and say "hey, I was trying to buy a stolen paypal account off of this guy on the internet and he ripped me off!" lol

Most of what I saw was just, believe it or not,
1) people posting pictures of steam tunnels (because apparently it's popular thing to do to have your own onion site where you sneak into the steam tunnels of your university or place of business and post the pics),
2) poorly indexed pdf book repositories (of stuff that you can easily find on the surface web)
3) people claiming to be leaking "government secrets" with no actual proof that they didn't just make the documents themselves.
4) a few independent news sources like ProPublica and a few others that simply just want to have a "deep web" presence...(it's just a mirror of what their site is on the surface web)

Even the few onion search engines you can find house mostly dead links (or links that take up to 5 minutes to load)

Basically, it's not the boogeyman people seem to think it is...at least, not any more than the plain old surface web.

So its just sensationalism akin to most conspiracy theories?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,196,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So its just sensationalism akin to most conspiracy theories?

I don't know if it would be exactly the same as conspiracy theories, most conspiracy theories are completely baseless, as to where, the hype surrounding the "deep web" is more along the lines of exaggerating the prevalence of certain things.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,569.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Hank77

Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,099,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
a lot of people live modest lives without buying clothes and expensive stuff and entertainment every week. Regarding school, a lot of people just go without all that extra stuff.

What about the fact as kids get older, their needs go down?
As kids get older they eat more, their clothes cost more, etc.
The point of both parents paying to support the child is so that the child does not suffer because of their parents. Should a child be deprived of playing sports, piano lessons, etc. because their parents can't get along. NO
Courts try to keep children living at the same financial support and quality of life as they had before the divorce. This is not just financial support but making visitation liberal so that the child is not deprived of either parent.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,569.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
As kids get older the eat more, their clothes cost more, etc.
The point of both parents paying to support the child is so that the child does not suffer because of their parents. Should a child be deprived of playing sports, piano lessons, etc. because their parents can't get along. NO
Courts try to keeping children living at the same financial support and quality of life as they had before the divorce.
This is not just financial support but making visitation liberal so that the child is not deprived of either parent.

A lot of kids live simple lives without those things.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,099,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A lot of kids live simple lives without those things.
Yes they do but if they did have a life-style that afforded them those things before the divorce the court tries to see that they still do after the divorce.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.