✟827,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Turkey holding 50 US nuclear bombs 'hostage' at air base, report says

Officials are reviewing plans to evacuate up to 50 U.S. nuclear bombs that have long been stored at Incirlik Air Base in Turkey in the wake of Ankara's military offensive in northern Syria, according to a report.

The weapons are now essentially being held "hostage" by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, a senior official told The New York Times on Monday.

Erdogan has previously expressed a desire to boost Turkey's nuclear arsenal.

“Some nations have missiles with nuclear warheads — not just one or two. But [they say] I should not have missiles with nuclear warheads. I don’t accept this," Erdogan said last month, according to the state-run Anadolu Agency.

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Turkey holding 50 US nuclear bombs 'hostage' at air base, report says

Officials are reviewing plans to evacuate up to 50 U.S. nuclear bombs that have long been stored at Incirlik Air Base in Turkey in the wake of Ankara's military offensive in northern Syria, according to a report.

The weapons are now essentially being held "hostage" by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, a senior official told The New York Times on Monday.

Erdogan has previously expressed a desire to boost Turkey's nuclear arsenal.

“Some nations have missiles with nuclear warheads — not just one or two. But [they say] I should not have missiles with nuclear warheads. I don’t accept this," Erdogan said last month, according to the state-run Anadolu Agency.
<sigh> How much more do the Democrats need to justify impeachment?

If it were up to me, the House would vote to impeach this afternoon, the Senate confirming it tomorrow morning and Trump would be on the golf course by noon as a private citizen.

But that is just me.

Upvote 0

evoeth

Man trying to figure things out
Mar 5, 2014
✟130,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
<sigh> How much more do the Democrats need to justify impeachment?

If it were up to me, the House would vote to impeach this afternoon, the Senate confirming it tomorrow morning and Trump would be on the golf course by noon as a private citizen.

But that is just me.
By "on a golf course" you mean on a prison work crew cutting the grass?

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
By "on a golf course" you mean on a prison work crew cutting the grass?
I don't know that I could make THAT happen by tomorrow, but losing nuclear bombs on one's watch should certainly come with a penalty of some sort.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,188.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Concerning the OP... have those nukes really been lost or "held hostage"? As far as I can tell, the USA just doesn't have the capacity to get them out.

Did Erdogan put a boot on the missiles? What?

• Agree
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟492,188.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
We just cannot imagine what will happen next...
Not sure if I'm allowed to link to that terminator nuke scene, so I'll just leave it to you to find it on youtube.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Concerning the OP... have those nukes really been lost or "held hostage"? As far as I can tell, the USA just doesn't have the capacity to get them out.

I dunno. I agree with your assessment. I assume that removing them from a Turkish airbase would require the Turks to agree. And the Turks in the control tower could say "you don't have permission to take off". And you probably need permission to drive a caravan of nukes across the Bosporus.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

I think I read something about how Turkey previously cut all power to the base during a previous diplomatic furor. I’m amazed they were left there after that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟492,188.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I dunno. I agree with your assessment. I assume that removing them from a Turkish airbase would require the Turks to agree. And the Turks in the control tower could say "you don't have permission to take off". And you probably need permission to drive a caravan of nukes across the Bosporus.
Has anyone tried? Because as long as the US military doesn't try to remove the nukes and Turkey does anything to stop them, I wouldn't call it a hostage situation even by the loosest definition.

That would be like me parking my car in your driveway and calling it grand theft auto because I'm too lazy to pick it up.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Has anyone tried? Because as long as the US military doesn't try to remove the nukes and Turkey does anything to stop them, I wouldn't call it a hostage situation even by the loosest definition.

Confidentially, I quoted FoxNews for a reason.

Although I guess the reeeaallll Trump supporters have all moved on to RT and OANN.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
If we no longer have complete control over them, then we have lost them. We might be able to get them back, but getting them back doesn't mean we didn't lose them first.

Losing control of one's nukes is very serious because of the danger they pose. One has to wonder why we even had them in Turkey in the first place.

Upvote 0

LoveOurNeighbor

Oct 12, 2019
WILMINGTON
✟17,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If we no longer have complete control over them, then we have lost them. We might be able to get them back, but getting them back doesn't mean we didn't lose them first.

Losing control of one's nukes is very serious because of the danger they pose. One has to wonder why we even had them in Turkey in the first place.

They have most likely been there since the cold war. This is just another piece of the tangled web that comes from unilaterally shooting from the hip.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
...it would not surprise me if Trump already made a "deal" to turn them over to Turkey.
No doubt that if he got a 'good price' for them he would sell them. And then brag about selling them for such a high price.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,421,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No doubt that if he got a 'good price' for them he would sell them. And then brag about selling them for such a high price.

...or have nothing to show for it...as is the case with his green light to Turkey. What did the United States gain in return for pulling our troops?

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟328,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That would be like me parking my car in your driveway and calling it grand theft auto because I'm too lazy to pick it up.

Your analogy does not work at all. It would be more like, I don't have a garage and so negotiate to keep my bicycle in your garage, to protect it from the elements. The agreement works well for both of us for a few years, but one day you get upset and lock the garage door so that I cannot get my bicycle out. In that case, just as the claim here is, you are essentially holding my bicycle "hostage" and it could even be interpreted as theft.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
...or have nothing to show for it...as is the case with his green light to Turkey. What did the United States gain in return for pulling our troops?
We got our troops out and we handed over the geopolitical influence we had in the region to the Russians. Looks like a win-win for Trump.

Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

I think that sort of extraction would be the point where the US could legitimately play the “and who’s going to stop us?” card. We’re quite capable of seizing land.

Upvote 0