Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A police officer with a handgun does not have enough firepower or accuracy to go up against a man with a long barrel, large capacity magazine, assault rifle preferred by snipers. It is stupid to give criminals access to greater firepower than police have and expect the police will prevail in every situation. They should ban assault rifles like in other nations instead of sell them to psychopaths and pray that the good guys will somehow win like in a Hollywood movie.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A police officer with a handgun does not have enough firepower or accuracy to go up against a man with a long barrel, large capacity magazine, assault rifle preferred by snipers.

Of course they do. Could likely drop them without ever being seen, it's not like they are shooting across the football field. Peek around the corner, on shot if you're even halfway decent shot and that's it.

A teacher could do it.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of course they do. Could likely drop them without ever being seen, it's not like they are shooting across the football field. Peek around the corner, on shot if you're even halfway decent shot and that's it.

A teacher could do it.
sure...if the teacher is her maybe:
but I'm not sure anyone out side of her could do it. :sorry:
tulc(loved that show) :sigh:

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
sure...if the teacher is her maybe:
but I'm not sure anyone out side of her could do it. :sorry:
tulc(loved that show) :sigh:
Maybe schools could hire some these pro paintball players.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It's sad, they had cake walk duty and they chocked when a live fire situation presented itself. The Sheriff is obviously confused, especially with the officer who simply stood there while kids died. I'm actually feeling kind of sorry for them, I don't know what they were thinking. I guess you never know until you are confronted with a situation like that but I've heard gun fire enough to know, it can kind of rattle you. Explosions are much worse, let's not judge them too harshly, especially if they deserve it.

Upvote 0

gideon123

Humble Servant of God
Dec 25, 2011
USA
✟59,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that those deputies will regret 'that day' for the rest of their lives. If they could change just one thing ... I am sure they would go back in time and respond differently.

The challenge for all of us ... how do we make our schools safer in the future. The students in Florida are right. This has to stop.

I would like to remind everyone ... Jesus does not support hate speech. I have never seen such ugly talk (in public forums) as some of the comments after the Florida shooting.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think that those deputies will regret 'that day' for the rest of their lives. If they could change just one thing ... I am sure they would go back in time and respond differently.

The challenge for all of us ... how do we make our schools safer in the future. The students in Florida are right. This has to stop.

I would like to remind everyone ... Jesus does not support hate speech. I have never seen such ugly talk (in public forums) as some of the comments after the Florida shooting.
My feeling is judge not lest ye be judged, but they have got to be feeling this. A thirty year veteran does nothing while kids die, how do you ever get that out of your head. His boss seems profoundly confused by his inaction and I think it matters that we think about the path forward. I'm strongly in favor of more carefully regulating how these weapons get into the hands of the likes of Cruz. Tighten up on background checks take a serious look at how this sort of thing has been dealt with elsewhere.

I love those kids, they are an inspiration. They could have retreated into their shells and went on with their lives, they choose to get involved. Maybe we could focus on some of the good things, such as they are compared to what happened.

Upvote 0

Buzz_B

Oct 15, 2017
Northwest Ohio
✟13,943.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

A teacher could do it.
You must think these shooters are ignorant. They are mentally ill, but not ignorant. All you are doing is creating a "shoot the teacher first" conviction in these would be shooters.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You must think these shooters are ignorant. They are mentally ill, but not ignorant. All you are doing is creating a "shoot the teacher first" conviction in these would be shooters.
My feeling is that they will think twice, I don't know that but I think it has some merit. I don't like the idea of taking an AR15 with a .38 but it's conceivable. I think the better approach is to tighten up on background checks and make this thing harder for guys like Cruz to get. Still, in some cases, it makes me wonder what a teacher with a gun might accomplish, or what some of the consequences might be.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
A more recent report indicates there was only one deputy on the scene, not four officers.

Florida sheriff says only 1 deputy was on scene during shooting
There was only one at the time of the shooting, it lasted about six minutes. The other officers that responded probably followed procedure, I don't know, but that's what I'm getting from this. Response time is short but I doubt they got there in six minutes, I'm not concerned about the other officers. The one standing there with a gun and doing nothing makes me sick.

Upvote 0

Buzz_B

Oct 15, 2017
Northwest Ohio
✟13,943.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
My feeling is that they will think twice, I don't know that but I think it has some merit. I don't like the idea of taking an AR15 with a .38 but it's conceivable. I think the better approach is to tighten up on background checks and make this thing harder for guys like Cruz to get. Still, in some cases, it makes me wonder what a teacher with a gun might accomplish, or what some of the consequences might be.
It has no merit. The only way one can believe that it does have merit is to ignore not only all the studies which show it has no merit but also to ignore or pervert the lessons of history.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It has no merit. The only way one can believe that it does have merit is to ignore not only all the studies which show it has no merit but also to ignore or pervert the lessons of history.
I don't think it's a great idea but I must confess an ignorance of the history of such things. I'm also unaware of these studies you mention, would you care to elaborate?

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟230,874.00
Faith
Christian
First the gun lobbyists told everyone that kids wouldn't get shot if there were "good guys with guns" around. Now it emerges there was indeed a "good guy with a gun" on school premises, so the gun lobby changes the argument to "we should arm teachers", ignoring the fact that if an armed, trained policeman couldn't stop a shooter then an armed, occasionally trained teacher has no chance.

Furthermore, the accusations of cowardice seem to fail to account for the fact that they're asking a cop armed with a pistol and a few clips to take on potentially multiple shooters armed with military-style weapons and hundreds of rounds of ammo.

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟230,874.00
Faith
Christian
The 2nd amendment gives us the right from God to defend ourselves from the same type of government in Broward County FL that pretends to protect us and our students. Tyranny.

I'm pretty sure that Anitfa (as one example) would consider the government of the US a "tyranny". Should they stockpile weapons and plan an armed overthrow of the government?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Buzz_B

Oct 15, 2017
Northwest Ohio
✟13,943.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I don't think it's a great idea but I must confess an ignorance of the history of such things. I'm also unaware of these studies you mention, would you care to elaborate?
Some of those studies were quoted in this thread. If you need more, they are easy to find by searching on the Internet. I am not going to do your work of finding them for you only to have that effort be for not when you choose to rationalize it away.

No offense intended, but we all must accept the responsibility to do our own part.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Many of these nay posts are simply for the purpose of dramatics, they mean noting in the real world. These are kids in a school house, plenty of doors windows, access to the element of surprise.

Sure anything can happen but to say they are no match, period, was a comment you evidently gave no thought to/another meaningless comment.

Nothing will work in your minds, that is until one actually sits down and thinks about it...complete my way or no way attitude. Kind of like some of the Trumpfests around here. :)

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That has been the situation for how long now? What you say has been true from a long time ago and yet what has been done by the NRA?

One track mind.

NRA? How bout the cops just do there Job...no need to complicate this or use it for some agenda...

If the cops won't do it, revamp the system and get rid of those who can't cut the mustard. Makes one wonder how safe anyone is if all these cops are going to cower at whatever the threat.

School shootings aside, that in it self is terrible.

Upvote 0

Yonny Costopoulis

Jul 22, 2017
Crete
✟60,005.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Many of these nay posts are simply for the purpose of dramatics, they mean noting in the real world. These are kids in a school house, plenty of doors windows, access to the element of surprise.

Sure anything can happen but to say they are no match, period, was a comment you evidently gave no thought to/another meaningless comment.

I understand you did not quote my post. But the post you quoted said nothing of the kind. You have created a strawman argument.

Nothing will work in your minds, that is until one actually sits down and thinks about it...complete my way or no way attitude.
How do you possibly know this about the poster? Can you read their mind?

Kind of like some of the Trumpfests around here. :)

Those are as much Trump's fault as anyone. If he is going to play clown, then people are going to have fun laugh at him.

Donald Trump Mocked By Nordic Prime Ministers
Turnbull mocks Trump: Australian Prime Minister imitates US President
What happens when you replace the president with a clown?
'People Here Think Trump Is a Laughingstock'

Upvote 0

Buzz_B

Oct 15, 2017
Northwest Ohio
✟13,943.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
One track mind.

NRA? How bout the cops just do there Job...no need to complicate this or use it for some agenda...

If the cops won't do it, revamp the system and get rid of those who can't cut the mustard. Makes one wonder how safe anyone is if all these cops are going to cower at whatever the threat.

School shootings aside, that in it self is terrible.
That is the one track, that which you are advocating. For that is how it has always been done.

Instead of really addressing the root cause they have always revamped and just skirted around the real causes due to unwillingness to accept that their NRA and military ideas are a part of that root cause.

If I seem to have a one track mind to you, be it know I plea guilty as charged to having the faith that God's ways are our only real hope and possibility for a real solution. You cannot accuse him of being naive to human nature.

Upvote 0