Sugahani

Sep 3, 2016
Hong Kong
✟7,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yesterday, I found out that my 16 year old son is gay and dating another man. I found out by looking through his messages, which I really didn't mean to do. I was just texting my husband on his phone, and noticed that he was talking to a boy named Ashton, who I didn't know. So I looked through a few of their messages and it didn't take me long to figure out that they were dating, and I finally had an explanation for all the times he would go out alone on weekends and come back late from school.
I confronted my son about it, and he stayed remarkably calm and explained the situation. My son is a good kid, gets mostly exceptional grades in school, has good friends and I never had a reason to hold anything against him before. Should I do something about it? I'm not actively against gays, but I never expected my own son to be one and I'm really not sure how I should act.
What should I do? Thanks in advance!

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Should I do something about it? I'm not actively against gays, but I never expected my own son to be one and I'm really not sure how I should act.
What should I do?
What is your position on homosexuality? Do you believe it to be sin?

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
This is a difficult topic for lots of reasons, not least of them that CF rules don’t permit one to provide advice supporting gays except in a couple of forums (liberal http://www.christianforums.com/forums/whosoever-will-may-come-liberal.401/, Methodist http://www.christianforums.com/forums/wesleys-parish-methodist-nazarene.365/, and the liberal section of Lutherans http://www.christianforums.com/forums/elca-elcic.518/). Also, I’m not a parent. I do work with youth at our church, so I’m interested in this issue.

Homosexuality is controversial, at least in the US. Many Christians now consider it OK, but the majority still consider it highly sinful. That’s why Sabertooth asked you what your attitude is.

A few decades ago conservative Christian parents would often try to get their son to convert from gay to straight. They might push him into counseling, and in some cases effectively kidnap him into a very coercive program. Or they might simply turn him out. A former youth pastor in our church worked with street children in San Francisco. Many of them were gay kids who had been thrown out by their parents.

Today this is less common, in part because forcible conversion attempts hurt kids more than it helped them, and throwing them out of the house had obvious bad effects. Thus the approach that responsible conservative Christians use will be a lot less forceful than in the past, although they will still try to convince the child that it is not God’s will for them to have sex with another person of the same sex.

I don’t know whether you’re aware of the political conflicts over this issue that have been happening in the US. Counseling that tries to convert someone from being gay to being straight has often produced bad results. In fact, it is possible for a motivated adult to change their sexual orientation to some extent. But it’s difficult, the results often aren’t complete, and it requires a person who really wants it. In many cases this kind of counseling has made things worse. Secular psychologists, and many Christian psychologists, now consider it unethical to do it for minors, because it's too likely that parents are pushing them into it. In many states in the US it’s even illegal to do this kind of counseling with minors. I don’t know much about the culture in Hong Kong. Things may be different there.

I looked at web resources for this situation. Somewhat to my surprise, advice from the very conservative Focus on the Family and a liberal secular source were surprisingly similar:

http://family.custhelp.com/app/answ.../~/responding-to-teen-child-who-says-he’s-gay
http://www.psy.miami.edu/comingout/coming_out_art.phtml

The main difference is the Focus on the Family assumed that being gay is not acceptable to God. Thus they will try to connect the gay son with counseling that will push him in the direction of changing, or at least being celibate. A secular source will try to connect him with resources within the gay community. And a Christian group that accepts gays will try to connect him with Christians that accept gays.

I don’t think that in this group I can be more specific about Christian sources that accept gays, but in the forums mentioned above that would be possible.

From what I can tell, almost all churches in Hong Kong are strongly against homosexuality. If your son is involved in a church, please make sure you know your church's attitude before talking with anyone in the church about this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jason Sanders

Dec 26, 2015
Toms River
✟8,409.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Firstly, and this is important so if you haven't done this then you need to go do it ASAP; let your son know you still love him, even though you don't agree with his life choices. Seriously, that is an important thing. Don't just assume he knows, don't try and push it off as something that isn't important or necessary; it is and it's probably a lot more pressing than you know.

Secondly, after you've told your son this and made sure he understands that you aren't rejecting HIM, talk. Talk about why he feels the way he does, talk about when it started, talk about it like it were any other conversation with your son- dont be afraid or embarrassed or anything other than what you are normally. Just talk to him about it.

And then, let it go. Give it to God and let Him work in your son- He never lets us down when we needed Him, so just trust Him and let Him do it.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yesterday, I found out that my 16 year old son is gay and dating another man. I found out by looking through his messages, which I really didn't mean to do. I was just texting my husband on his phone, and noticed that he was talking to a boy named Ashton, who I didn't know. So I looked through a few of their messages and it didn't take me long to figure out that they were dating, and I finally had an explanation for all the times he would go out alone on weekends and come back late from school.
I confronted my son about it, and he stayed remarkably calm and explained the situation. My son is a good kid, gets mostly exceptional grades in school, has good friends and I never had a reason to hold anything against him before. Should I do something about it? I'm not actively against gays, but I never expected my own son to be one and I'm really not sure how I should act.
What should I do? Thanks in advance!

You don't have a reason to hold anything against him now. Continue to nourish your son with love and affection, and he's likely to keep earning exceptional grades, being a good kid with good friends, and having the very admirable trait of being able to maintain calm and composure in situations where others might become frazzled or defensive. He's still the same lovable boy he was before you found out he was gay. I think it just takes time to process the news and adapt.

Upvote 0

NicoleWilliams

Sep 14, 2016
Colorado
✟7,838.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, there. Your situation reminds me of a very good friend of mine – I know how disturbing it can be. The best thing I can do for you is to pray for you, asking the Lord to give you wisdom and guidance in dealing with this matter. Be assured of my prayers or your son, as well. May God comfort you in the days ahead.

Upvote 0