with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Cool!

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]For one thing, the planet is only about three or four times as massive as our home world, meaning it probably has a solid surface just like Earth. Much more important, it sits smack in the middle of the so-called habitable zone, orbiting at just the right distance from the star to let water remain liquid rather than freezing solid or boiling away. As far as we know, that's a minimum requirement for the presence of life.
[/FONT]​

Full story here -->:cool:

Exiledoomsayer

Only toke me 1 year to work out how to change this
Jan 7, 2010
✟10,237.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I wonder how much I'ld weigh there?

Well.. Based on the fact that in DBZ the character King Kai lives on a really tiny planet which has twice earths gravity which king kai claims is because his planet is so small.
And the fact that cartoons tend to mess that kind of stuf up so bad they get it completely opposite..

Id say you would probably weight more on this larger earth planet. Hows that for scientific :cool:

Upvote 0

lemmings

Veteran
Nov 5, 2006
California
✟18,469.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Well.. Based on the fact that in DBZ the character King Kai lives on a really tiny planet which has twice earths gravity which king kai claims is because his planet is so small.
And the fact that cartoons tend to mess that kind of stuf up so bad they get it completely opposite..

Id say you would probably weight more on this larger earth planet. Hows that for scientific :cool:

Everything depends on the density of the planet, unfortunately we have no way of knowing yet. If it has the same density as the Earth,~5.5g/cm^3, it should be around 1.5 times Earth gravity. However, if it is like the moon which is 3.3 g/cm^3, it might even be less than Earth norm.*

*I did not bother doing these calculations myself and am using the lowest estimates of the mass but who cares <- fun tool

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟171,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Now- go read 'Thirteen to Centaurus' by J.G. Ballard. A very interesting short story I read years ago.

^I never realize the extent of my sci-fi addiction until I recall how much I've read and watched over the years at the oddest moments.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟361,527.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I have never ever understood why sentient life requires water or oxygen.

It seems like that such a limiting factor based solely on what humans can currently comprehend. Why do scientists assume that ALL life around the WHOLE universe requires the EXACT same conditions to exist.

Upvote 0

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
We simply need to master cryogenic space travel and we might have a place to go should we ever finish making this planet inhabitable.

It'll never happen, the United States, in general, is far too obsessively materialistic to make that sort of long term investment.

I seem to remember some news item on the NASA budget, and I went to the Newspaper's online comments section and it was chock full of people whining about how they hated paying taxes and the government should just stop funding scientific research, and NASA should simply be disbanded.

That comment section was one of the more spectacularly stupid things I've read.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Exiledoomsayer

Only toke me 1 year to work out how to change this
Jan 7, 2010
✟10,237.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I have never ever understood why sentient life requires water or oxygen.

It seems like that such a limiting factor based solely on what humans can currently comprehend. Why do scientists assume that ALL life around the WHOLE universe requires the EXACT same conditions to exist.

As I understand it its not that they think its the only possibly way for life to exist. Its just that its the only elements that they know for sure produced life atleast once.

Upvote 0