• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Found: An Earthlike Planet at Last

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by AirPo, Sep 30, 2010.

1. AirPo

AirPo with a Touch of Grey

+7,090
    Atheist
    Married
    Cool!

Full story here -->:cool:

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Gishin

Gishin Well-Known Member

+238
    Atheist
    Married
    Just the issue of migrating there.

3. Exiledoomsayer

Exiledoomsayer Only toke me 1 year to work out how to change this

+56
    Atheist
    Single
    Now that is awesome.
    Course they do mention there is no guarentee that it will even have water.
    Only about twenty light years away even?

4. Protocol11

Protocol11 Guest

+0
    I wonder how much I'ld weigh there?

5. Belk

Belk Senior Member Supporter

+7,581
    Agnostic
    Married
    Too cool!

6. Exiledoomsayer

+56
    Atheist
    Single
    Well.. Based on the fact that in DBZ the character King Kai lives on a really tiny planet which has twice earths gravity which king kai claims is because his planet is so small.
    And the fact that cartoons tend to mess that kind of stuf up so bad they get it completely opposite..

Id say you would probably weight more on this larger earth planet. Hows that for scientific :cool:

7. mala

mala fluffy lion

+1,888
    Muslim
    Single
    wouldn't it depend on what the planet is made out of?
    mainly as in the core

8. lemmings

lemmings Veteran

+125
    Atheist
    Private
    Everything depends on the density of the planet, unfortunately we have no way of knowing yet. If it has the same density as the Earth,~5.5g/cm^3, it should be around 1.5 times Earth gravity. However, if it is like the moon which is 3.3 g/cm^3, it might even be less than Earth norm.*

*I did not bother doing these calculations myself and am using the lowest estimates of the mass but who cares <- fun tool

9. interpreter

interpreter Senior Member

+130
    Anglican
    Maybe its where God lives.

10. seashale76

seashale76 Orthodox Christian and Unapologetic Iconodule

+3,988
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Now- go read 'Thirteen to Centaurus' by J.G. Ballard. A very interesting short story I read years ago.

^I never realize the extent of my sci-fi addiction until I recall how much I've read and watched over the years at the oddest moments.

11. rambot

rambot Senior Member

+6,388
    Christian
    Married
    CA-Greens
    I have never ever understood why sentient life requires water or oxygen.

It seems like that such a limiting factor based solely on what humans can currently comprehend. Why do scientists assume that ALL life around the WHOLE universe requires the EXACT same conditions to exist.

12. ACougar

ACougar U.S. Army Retired

+1,163
    Pagan
    Married
    US-Democrat
    We simply need to master cryogenic space travel and we might have a place to go should we ever finish making this planet inhabitable.

13. laconicstudent

laconicstudent Well-Known Member

+655
    Christian Seeker
    Private
    US-Democrat
    It'll never happen, the United States, in general, is far too obsessively materialistic to make that sort of long term investment.

I seem to remember some news item on the NASA budget, and I went to the Newspaper's online comments section and it was chock full of people whining about how they hated paying taxes and the government should just stop funding scientific research, and NASA should simply be disbanded.

That comment section was one of the more spectacularly stupid things I've read.

14. jacks

jacks Er Victus Supporter

+1,415
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    I wish we could actually see these planets, rather than just detect slight irregular motions of the surrounding star. We need a telescope on Mars!

15. laconicstudent

laconicstudent Well-Known Member

+655
    Christian Seeker
    Private
    US-Democrat
    We need to stop spending all this money on wars and big oil and start giving government dollars to useful things, like propulsion technology research.

16. Exiledoomsayer

+56
    Atheist
    Single
    As I understand it its not that they think its the only possibly way for life to exist. Its just that its the only elements that they know for sure produced life atleast once.