United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Hi Family,

I have a friend, who is a Christian, who wants to do fortune telling at a party. How should i advise her?

~Natsumi Lam~

I would advise her that the Bible is very clear that it is adherent to G-d.

But after you tell her, let it go. She likely won't listen, and it isn't your job to fix her.

• Agree
Reactions: S.O.J.I.A.
Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Christians don't "foretell futures" It is evil and the bible says it's witchcraft.
Duet 18:10 There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch,

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Hi Family,

I have a friend, who is a Christian, who wants to do fortune telling at a party. How should i advise her?

~Natsumi Lam~

Question: "What is the Christian view of psychics / fortune tellers?"

Answer:
The Bible strongly condemns spiritism, mediums, the occult, and psychics (Leviticus 20:27; Deuteronomy 18:10-13). Horoscopes, tarot cards, astrology, fortune tellers, palm readings, and séances fall into this category as well. These practices are based on the concept that there are gods, spirits, or deceased loved ones that can give advice and guidance. These “gods” or “spirits” are demons (2 Corinthians 11:14-15). The Bible gives us no reason to believe that deceased loved ones can contact us. If they were believers, they are in heaven enjoying the most wonderful place imaginable in fellowship with a loving God. If they were not believers, they are in hell, suffering the un-ending torment for rejecting God’s love and rebelling against Him.

So, if our loved ones cannot contact us, how do mediums, spiritists, and psychics get such accurate information? There have been many exposures of psychics as frauds. It has been proven that psychics can gain immense amounts of information on someone through ordinary means. Sometimes by just using a telephone number through caller ID and an internet search, a psychic can get names, addresses, dates of birth, dates of marriage, family members, etc. However, it is undeniable that psychics sometimes know things that should be impossible for them to know. Where do they get this information? The answer is from Satan and his demons. “And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. It is not surprising, then, if his servants masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will be what their actions deserve” (2 Corinthians 11:14-15). Acts 16:16-18 describes a fortune teller who was able to predict the future until the apostle Paul rebuked a demon out of her.

Satan pretends to be kind and helpful. He tries to appear as something good. Satan and his demons will give a psychic information about a person in order to get that person hooked into spiritism, something that God forbids. It appears innocent at first, but soon people can find themselves addicted to psychics and unwittingly allow Satan to control and destroy their lives. Peter proclaimed, “Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour” (1 Peter 5:8). In some cases, the psychics themselves are deceived, not knowing the true source of the information they receive. Whatever the case and wherever the source of the information, nothing connected to spiritism, witchcraft, or astrology is a godly means of discovering information. How does God want us to discern His will for our life? God’s plan is simple, yet powerful and effective: study the Bible (2 Timothy 3:16-17) and pray for wisdom (James 1:5).

www.gotquestions.org/psychics-Christian.html

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think you should gently warn her. First ask her if she believes the Bible is from God.

Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted. Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. If anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he deceives himself. (Galatians 6:1-3, 1984 NIV)

About Jesus:
Every high priest is selected from among men and is appointed to represent them in matters related to God, to offer gifts and sacrifices for sins. He is able to deal gently with those who are ignorant and are going astray, since he himself is subject to weakness. (Hebrews 5:1-2, 1984 NIV)

Also see 1 Timothy 5:1-2.

If she wants to do this because she has perceived some ability to do so, Satan will be the one who responds. Could it be that she will tap into the Holy Spirit? No, because anything prophetic starts with God. That is, she would already believe God wanted her to do a specific thing, and He rarely gives the prophesier advanced warning. Also, if it were God, she would know it wasn't fortune telling. It would be a prophecy or a word of knowledge (1 Corinthians 14:6)—that is, she would know she was relaying words from God. And, by the way, I've never heard of God doing this through someone to an unbeliever (e.g., if there will be unbelievers present.)

If it was anyone's idea (such as her own) to do this other than God urging her, then it will be the sin of witchcraft which will give Satan a new foothold into her life (and that's bad, John 10:10). If God were speaking to her, he wouldn't want her to call it fortune telling. And it wouldn't be her doing the prophesying. She would have the sense (1 Corinthians 14:32) that she was relaying God's words and would not take credit for doing anything. FYI, in testing the spirits, it is good to be familiar with the following verse. All prophecy from God is for one of three reasons:

But everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort. (1 Corinthians 14:3, 1984 NIV)

I would guess that there is a 99.999% chance that she will push God and his protection farther away from her if she does this. The bottom line is simply that if she called it fortune telling, she is going to sin by doing it. However, it is her decision, and there is only so much you should try to do to stop her. However, do pray for her as much as possible beforehand and, if possible, during her "show." Ask the Lord to prevent her from sinning this way, and if she does, to protect her from evil and reveal to her what she did from His point of view.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hi Family,

~Natsumi Lam~

As in legitimately, or as a gag?

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi Family,

~Natsumi Lam~
I would simply suggest that it isn't something that I would do. If she asked why not I would explain why I think it's a bad witness and can bring unwanted attention from evil entities.

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Family,

~Natsumi Lam~

Fortune telling is prohibited in the Bible I believe and now I know why. When I was in my early 20s I wanted so badly to know my future so I made a friend read my palm. Well, I misunderstood many things and ended up messing things up for myself as well as for other people. Isn't there a song that goes like this?
Que será, será
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours to see
Que será, será
What will be, will be

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums