Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I might have to give this one to Bossie. I've heard that phrase hundreds (thousands?) of times and this is literally the first time I've heard it associated with racism. Now that I think about it, I get it, but I'd group it with the term "gyp" (smeaning to shortchange or swindle), in that I don't think most people realize it's short for "gypsy" and that it's originally a derogatory ethnic term.

Reactions: HereIStand
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does nobody comprehend what "racist" truly means anymore? Yes, some statements, behaviors, actions, and assumptions exhibit cruelty towards or bias against a person because of their race. "We're not promoting you because you're Black" comes to mind as one possible example. As does shooting someone trying to enter their own home because of their skin color.

Many other things, though, do not. This is one of those things that do not.

Upvote 0

ubicaritas

sinning boldly
Jul 22, 2017
Orlando
✟68,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
The expression "cotton-picking mind" is racist? Just wow.

Maybe it has racist origins. I heard it alot growing up. It's a Ned Flanders-ism among folks that want to use profanity without using profanity.

• Informative
Reactions: Shadow
Upvote 0

LovesOurLord

Jun 19, 2018
Denver
✟15,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Maybe it has racist origins. I heard it alot growing up. It's a Ned Flanders-ism among folks that want to use profanity without using profanity.

It doesn't. We have social atmosphere where whites are guilty before proven innocent by the progressive mob and have to walk on racial/ideological eggshells to avoid being tarred and feathered.

There are some radicals who claim the Bible is racist because it uses the terms light as good and dark as bad.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I might have to give this one to Bossie. I've heard that phrase hundreds (thousands?) of times and this is literally the first time I've heard it associated with racism. Now that I think about it, I get it, but I'd group it with the term "gyp" (smeaning to shortchange or swindle), in that I don't think most people realize it's short for "gypsy" and that it's originally a derogatory ethnic term.

Yeah...I can see how someone might take it as racist....but it's such an old phrase I gotta wonder if he meant it in a racist way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LovesOurLord

Jun 19, 2018
Denver
✟15,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Yeah...I can see how someone might take it as racist....but it's auxh an okd phrase I gotta womder if he meant it ina racist way.

Of course he didn't and where is the old concept of not assuming the worst in people? At least give the man the benefit of the doubt.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Personally I think when people become so sensitive that an expression such as 'cotton picking' or 'redneck', etc. gets blown up into a PC outrage we are loosing our gripe on reality.

Upvote 0

LovesOurLord

Jun 19, 2018
Denver
✟15,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Personally I think when people become so sensitive that an expression such as 'cotton picking' or 'redneck', etc. gets blown up into a PC outrage we are loosing our gripe on reality.

I think it's most likely a political stunt during a midterm year. Unfortunately, radical leftist politics has encouraged minorities to be enraged by such things, looking for fault and chasing shadows.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It’s a term that comes from a racist background but became common vernacular. I’d definitely assume he meant it innocently, but I’m also grateful that he recognized how it could be perceived and apologized.

Upvote 0

camille70

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟605,255.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It’s a term that comes from a racist background but became common vernacular. I’d definitely assume he meant it innocently, but I’m also grateful that he recognized how it could be perceived and apologized.

I used to use the phrase often when I was much younger. It never dawned on me the the origin. I personally wouldn't have been offended, but when you make public statements they will be scrutinized more closely and fox is considered a hotbed of racism, so I suppose it's to be expected that this blew up a bit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The expression "cotton-picking mind" is racist?
How does this have anything to do with a person's mind, anyway?

I can see the connection, though, and that it might have been started by racists . . . like the eenie meenie minee mo thing which I used to do but did not realize it was racist. This was used in upper middle class Massachusetts, by the way.

But I have had a much bigger problem with female beauty discrimination, in me, than having discrimination about people of color.

And, of course, we played "cowboys and Indians", assuming Native Americans all were dangerous.

Even though I have been so stupid and did not even have a clue, I don't think I have ever used the cotton-picking mind thing. If I disagree with someone, I keep my mouth shut or I say something to help the person. I don't just call them names and say they are this or that.

And what you do for work does not decide if you have the ability to love and to communicate and relate with other people. I think a real genius is someone who can love and relate and communicate. Learning how to love is our greatest education and our biggest and most worthwhile challenge :)

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Of course he didn't and where is the old concept of not assuming the worst in people? At least give the man the benefit of the doubt.

Nobody wants to miss a chance to be outraged and point out the faults/shortcomings in someone else. People want to use every opportunity to virtue signal at some point.

I don't think this trend will last long. Someone smart will come along...their career won't be threatened by the outrage generation...and they won't bother with these constraints. People will love them for it.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Nobody wants to miss a chance to be outraged and point out the faults/shortcomings in someone else. People want to use every opportunity to virtue signal at some point.

I don't think this trend will last long. Someone smart will come along...their career won't be threatened by the outrage generation...and they won't bother with these constraints. People will love them for it.

There’s two ways to react when someone points out you said something inadvertently offensive: you can listen to them, and perhaps see that something you’ve always considered completely innocuous and harmless might just perhaps have a different impact on someone else, or you can say they’re being stupid and just looking for offense.

Which of those seems like the more civilized approach to take?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.