Apr 25, 2004
Australia
Visit site
✟9,141.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is a discussion only for former Seventh Day Adventists, Church of God 7th Day, 7th Day Baptists, Worldwide Church of God, and any such offshoots who no longer keep the Old Covenant's 7th day Sabbath. Suggested discussion ideas are:
  • What has been your journey out of legalism?
  • Did you struggle with the issue of swinging from legalism to liberalism?
  • Have you suffered depression?
  • Have you found it difficult settling into mainstream Christianity?
  • Have you lost many of your former 7th day friends, who now look upon you as "pagan?"
  • Have you jumped from one outward form of religion into another or is your relationship now with Christ?
  • Have you gone from one fad to another, e.g. from Sabbath to tongues, or from food laws to health and wealth?
  • Do you still attend a church or have you become a "lone Christian?"
  • Do you feel free in Christ or are you still imprisoned by feelings of guilt, never feeling "good enough" to be loved by God?

freeindeed2

In Christ We Are FREE!
Feb 1, 2007
A mile high.
✟79,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a discussion only for former Seventh Day Adventists, Church of God 7th Day, 7th Day Baptists, Worldwide Church of God, and any such offshoots who no longer keep the Old Covenant's 7th day Sabbath. Suggested discussion ideas are:
  • What has been your journey out of legalism?
It sure seems like I've seen these questions before. Maybe on another forum? CARM?

The Holy Spirit kept moving me to investigate the questions about SDA doctrines. I never realized how legalistic I was as an SDA pastor until I was out (by the grace of God). Then I could see clearly. The paycheck, benefits, and retirement account can cloud your vision and mess with your motives for defending Adventism.
No! A thousand times NO! Most of the people I know who left over theological/doctrinal issues (which are most of them) are now thriving spiritually and free from the legalism they once knew.
Probably some. The guilt trips from family and friends still tied to SDA legalism is disappointing, but expected. It's the first time in my life that we didn't have a 'built in' support system where we went. We've had to learn how to make friends outside of SDA circles.
Absolutely not! I wish this had all happend sooner, rather than looking at all other denominations with distrust because they were 'daughters of the harlot'. What a warped view!
  • Have you lost many of your former 7th day friends, who now look upon you as "pagan?"
Some. They don't all know yet, so I'm sure others will abandon the friendship once they learn we are no longer SDA. The pagan comment has been used more than once. Odd, that now we worship God every day and we're referred to as 'pagan'. LOL!^_^
  • Have you jumped from one outward form of religion into another or is your relationship now with Christ?
Absolutely with Christ alone. Denominations basically build walls in the body of Christ, and each one tends to believe they are the 'only' 'right' one. I would put SDA's at the top of that list (since they believe to be the 'one, true, remnant church with their own prophet to prove it!).
We attend a non-denominational church most of the time. There are about 6 different churches we have attended since leaving.
  • Do you feel free in Christ or are you still imprisoned by feelings of guilt, never feeling "good enough" to be loved by God?
Absolutely free in Christ. He has freed us from the legalism we once knew. His Spirit lives in us and causes us to be more like Him every day. It's so wonderful being able to trust in Jesus for salvation, rather than trying to play some part in 'achieving' it ourselves. The Holy Spirit controls how we think (Romans 8). He took the 'guilt' and the 'never feeling good enough' feelings (because we weren't) away a long time ago. We are saved because HE is faithful, worthy, and trustworthy! All praise belongs to Christ alone!

Upvote 0

Eila

Senior Veteran
Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
✟10,980.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What has been your journey out of legalism?

It took me 8 years from the time of first questionning to the time of departure from the SDA church. Those years were filled with unanswered questions and rationalizing. Finally toward the end of the 8 years I received the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Within a year I had left the SDA church and my beliefs had totally changed. Rationalizing was replaced with earnestly seeking the truth.
I don't know if I would say I swung from legalism to liberalism. Legalism to liberty may be more accurate. No, no struggle there.

• Have you suffered depression?
It has been 8 years since I left. At times I do still get quite sad, but mostly now it is for my family left behind in Adventism. It was hard to say good-bye to a culture I had grown up with too.

• Have you found it difficult settling into mainstream Christianity?
No, although I have tried to put a label on myself again and again. I'm coming to accept that I can just be a Christian :)

No, I still keep in touch with close friends. I had moved shortly before I left the SDA church so the church I went to probably doesn't even know and if they did I don't know what type of reaction there would have been. My family is still my family - we just stay away from any discussion of beliefs.

My relationship was always with Christ even as an Adventist. I was bogged down with religion as an Adventist. It was the relationship with Christ that eventually brought me to the point of leaving. I had to choose between following Christ or following all I had ever known.

• Do you still attend a church or have you become a "lone Christian?"
No lone Christian here. My husband is a minister and as his wife I totally support his ministry as he preaches in different churches.

Free, free, free, free, free, free, free!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: Could I say it any clearer? I didn't know I was bound until I experienced true freedom. It was only then that I realized how bound I was.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.