✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Why he is a former monk?
I wondered that myself. But in reading the article, I'm not so sure they got it right. He apparently lived for seven years in a monastic community and has some continuing ties, but that doesn't make one a monk. There is no mention of tonsure.

Which makes me wonder - sorry for the off-topic question. But it is my understanding that a monastic may not "quit" being a monastic? Unless perhaps in some very extreme circumstance that I am unable to imagine that the abbot (or would a bishop be necessary?) to bless?

I thought vows of monasticism were just that - vows - and could not be broken? Which I am given to understand the Abbott/Abbess is careful to ensure one is prepared to remain for life before tonsure?

Just curious.

Upvote 0

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
I wondered that myself. But in reading the article, I'm not so sure they got it right. He apparently lived for seven years in a monastic community and has some continuing ties, but that doesn't make one a monk. There is no mention of tonsure.

Which makes me wonder - sorry for the off-topic question. But it is my understanding that a monastic may not "quit" being a monastic? Unless perhaps in some very extreme circumstance that I am unable to imagine that the abbot (or would a bishop be necessary?) to bless?

I thought vows of monasticism were just that - vows - and could not be broken? Which I am given to understand the Abbott/Abbess is careful to ensure one is prepared to remain for life before tonsure?

Just curious.

if you are a full-on stavrophore monastic you may not leave monasticism without excommunicating yourself.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
if you are a full-on stavrophore monastic you may not leave monasticism without excommunicating yourself.
Thanks. I just wondered if I understood that correctly.

I don't need to know anyone's particulars. :)

Upvote 0

ikonographics

In patience I waited patiently on the Lord
Apr 27, 2008
Greece
Visit site
✟27,987.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There are a lot of people who have entered the monastery and may have stayed for a few years before realising that the monastic life is not their calling. There is nothing wrong with that. Up to the level of rasophore, one can leave the monastery. Once a monastic has received the Great Schema he cannot leave. From what I know Justin Marler's popularity as a monk became too much for him.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There are a lot of people who have entered the monastery and may have stayed for a few years before realising that the monastic life is not their calling. There is nothing wrong with that. Up to the level of rasophore, one can leave the monastery. Once a monastic has received the Great Schema he cannot leave.
That was my understanding. But I suppose I don't really know when tonsuring(s) happen.

But I have known that some enter and remain at a lower level and are still able to leave. And some have remained very long-term and not "progressed" purposely for that reason. I also was not sure exactly what point it was not possible to leave - but I actually thought it was much lower than having received the Great Schema? Not that it TRULY matters to me, but I thought progressing beyond the novitiate meant one was committed for life?

PFrom what I know Justin Marler's popularity as a monk became too much for him.

As I said, I don't need to know anyone's particulars. But now that I think on the idea, he was famous before he became a monk? That could become a very serious hindrance to living the monastic life. What a difficult position a person could be in ... !

Upvote 0

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
usually those that are addressed as Father, even if they are not ordained, are past that point of no return, as it were. same is true for nuns with Mother.
come on dawg! at Rassaphore they become "Father" but can still leave at that point

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
you got dem rassaphores running around St. Tikhon's -- Fr. Michael, for example, is Rassaphore, and Fr. Basil

I know, but I only saw the tonsuring once, when Fr Silouan became Fr Andrew

Upvote 0