Montgomery
✟8,278.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone who has been away from their home country for a long time feel like they have a hard time fitting back in to the home ministry, even several years - or even a decade or two - after?

I don't feel like I ever got re-settled after being overseas for about three years. I miss my old passion and drive, but it's just not been there.

Can anyone relate?

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone who has been away from their home country for a long time feel like they have a hard time fitting back in to the home ministry, even several years - or even a decade or two - after?

I don't feel like I ever got re-settled after being overseas for about three years. I miss my old passion and drive, but it's just not been there.

Can anyone relate?
Things change, (I can relate on this point) so you may need to prayerfully examine what role the Lord will have for you.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

Can anyone relate?
I can relate. I was in the Peace Corps, gone for only about two and a half years total. It was a challenge leaving everything American and living in a mud hut, going days without speaking English, and all that. It was a challenge, but with a sense of purpose it was more than OK. But coming back was really a challenge. I did really want to come back but I found I didn't fit in. I would go to the grocery store and I found I wanted to haggle over the price of bananas but that just wasn't how it worked. I found it hard to work back into a culture where everybody drove everywhere. Africa had made some changes in me. I think they were for the better, but I was not fitting in so nicely as I had before.

The good things: I had abandoned my previous mushy young adult liberalism. A car was no longer a priority for me. Consumerism was no longer a priority for me. I was exceptionally happy to find a local Christian community because I rarely had the chance while I was away. I think I learned the value of wasting time in conversation with people while I was away. But it took a long time to resettle, to get engaged, to marry, to do all that, but I was ready to actually be an adult. Africa grew me up. I had a garden in Africa.

There are aspects of the culture and life I experienced that I miss even more than 30 years later. But I try to incorporate what I can of the good and leave it at that. Going back, well everything changes, and going back would be a new and probably very different experience. What you lived through has changed you somewhat. Remember it all, go with the good changes, and God will keep you.

Upvote 0

Paul4JC

the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing
Apr 5, 2020
California
✟164,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Can anyone relate?
Yes the thing is you've changed but "fitting back" is hard cause this place has not changed nor the people. So there is reverse "culture shock." Best to just work through and have low expectations of people here. That way you can get through it all and eventually fit back in. Stay close to God. He will see you through.

Upvote 0