• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe says No about Plea Deal, "Not Under Any Circumstances"

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by NightHawkeye, Sep 18, 2019.

1. NightHawkeye

NightHawkeye Work-in-progress Supporter

+8,243
    Methodist
    Married
    From the "Twisting slowly in the wind", files: Andrew McCabe Says He Won’t Take A Plea Deal ‘Under Any Circumstances’ If Indicted

Federal prosecutors in Virginia are pushing for charges against McCabe, a former FBI deputy director, for allegedly making false statements to the FBI and Justice Department’s office of the inspector general (OIG) regarding his authorization of a leak to the media in October 2016.
    “Will you take a deal in order to go on with the rest of your life if there is no big criminal attachment — you don’t have to do any time or anything like that?” CNN’s Chris Cuomo asked McCabe in an interview.

“Absolutely not, under any circumstances,” said McCabe, who joined CNN as an analyst Aug. 23
    .​

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. DaisyDay

DaisyDay blind squirrel

+9,356
    United States
    Unitarian
    Married
    US-Others
    Interestingly, the phrase "twisting slowly, slowly in the wind" - oddly poetic considering the source, John Ehrlichman, and the circumstances - sprang from the Watergate scandal.

After the Watergate investigation began, Nixon’s nominee for Director of the FBI, L. Patrick Gray, absorbed many of Congress’ blows during confirmation hearings. Subjected to heated criticism, especially over his relationship with the president’s legal counsel, John Dean, prospects for his approval looked bleak. Ehrlichman calculated political value in Congress eviscerating Gray’s nomination. It shifted the focus of Watergate from the White House. As Ehrlichman advised the president, better Gray be left “twisting, slowly, slowly in the wind.”​

The Watergate Files - Senate Hearings: February 1973 - July 1973 - People

In 1980 after a two-year investigation, L. Patrick Gray was exonerated.

The Bulletin - Google News Archive Search

3. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+9,339
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    I can almost follow the logic.

Michael Flynn didn't lie to the FBI, but he plead that he did because he's really innocent.

Therefore...

McCabe did lie, so he won't plead because he's really guilty!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Tanj

Tanj Redefined comfortable middle class

+3,576
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    Ah, the 5th thread on this topic, in this forum, in as many days. That seems reasonable. Imagine how many threads there will be if he actually gets indicted!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  5. cow451

cow451 The Most Interesting Poster in the Forum Supporter

+12,423
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    A poster notes thread count is a measure of linen quality.

6. Tanj

Tanj Redefined comfortable middle class

+3,576
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    Any sign of that indictment?

7. cow451

cow451 The Most Interesting Poster in the Forum Supporter

+12,423
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    Real soon. You wait... it’s not Wednesday yet.

8. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+9,339
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    Speaking of McCabe, we have a new document drop:

A newly released two-page memo written by then-Acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe outlined how former Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein proposed wearing a wire in the White House "to collect additional evidence on the president’s true intentions," and thought the scheme was plausible because "he was not searched when he entered the White House."

The contemporaneous memo, which the Justice Department released after a transparency lawsuit by Judicial Watch, provided the strongest documentary evidence to date to undercut previous claims by DOJ officials that Rosenstein was joking when he apparently made the suggestion.

Oh my. If you missed the link above, here's the memo:

I [McCabe] began by telling him [DAG Rosenstein] that today I approved the opening of an investigation of President Donald Trump. I explained that the purpose of the investigation was to investigate allegations of possible collusion between the president and the Russian Government, possible obstruction of justice related to the firing of FBI Director James Comey, and possible conspiracy to obstruct justice. The DAG questioned what I meant by collusion and I explained that I was referring to the investigation of any potential links between the Trump campaign and the Russian government. I explained that counterintelligence investigations of this sort were meant to uncover any the existence of any threat to national security as well as whether or not criminal conduct had occurred. Regarding the obstruction issues, I made clear that our predication was based not only on the president's comments last week to reporter Lester Holt (that he connected the firing of the director to the FBl's Russia investigation), but also on the several concerning comments the president made to Director Comey over the last few months. These comments included the President's requests for assurances of loyalty, statements about the Russia investigation and the investigation of General Michael Flynn. I also informed the DAG that Director Comey preserved his recollection of these interactions in a series of contemporaneously drafted memos. Finally, I informed the DAG that as a result of his role in the matter, I thought he would be a witness in the case.

As our conversation continued the DAG proposed that he could potentially wear a recording device into the Oval Office to dollect additional evidence on the President's true intentions.

He anticipated that he may be terminated when he puts the Special Counsel in place, in light of the president's anger with AG Sessions when the AG recused himself from the Russia investigation. The DAG further stated that he was told that others heard the President tell the AG "you were supposed to protect me."

Oh, Lordy, I hope there are tapes.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List