Edmonton, Alberta
✟154,576.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I distinctly separated the doctrine of the Lord's physical removal of his people from this earth from the doctrine of the timing of that event.
True, but I guess my point was that, in a way, we know the timing of the resurrection event because it's explicitly stated in scripture that it will take place on the last day. Although we don't know when that last day will come, we know it will be the last day.

Do you think the resurrection and the rapture are two separate events, or the same event?

Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
True, but I guess my point was that, in a way, we know the timing of the resurrection event because it's explicitly stated in scripture that it will take place on the last day. Although we don't know when that last day will come, we know it will be the last day.

Do you think the resurrection and the rapture are two separate events, or the same event?
"The last day" is not a reference to a 24 hour period. This use of the word "day" is the generic usage if this word as meaning a period of time. We know that the scriptures very explicitly state that certain things will take place after the resurrection, and that these things include a reign that will last a thousand years , followed by another rebellion. So whether the thousand years is literal or typical, this still proves that the resurrection does not take place during the earth's final 24 hours.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LastSeven

Amil
Site Supporter
Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
✟154,576.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"The last day" is not a reference to a 24 hour period. This use of the word "day" is the generic usage if this word as meaning a period of time.
You're right that the last day is not a 24 hour period, because it will last forever. This is why Revelation 21 tells us there will be no more night, and this is also why it's called the last day, as it will never end.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The rapture is nonsense and protestantism is heretical.
:sigh:
If you think that the rapture theory and protestant goes had in hand you are very wrong. The early protestant denominations did not believe in the 'rapture' and many still don't today. I don't.

Early commentaries written by Arminians and Calvinists both believed that Matthew 24, Mark 13, and Luke 21 were all prophecies of the destruction of Jerusalem and the temple in AD70 as well as Daniel 9, and that is what I believe.
Here's the proof.
Adam Clarke's Commentary - Arminian
This chapter contains a prediction of the utter destruction of the city and temple of Jerusalem, and the subversion of the whole political constitution of the Jews; and is one of the most valuable portions of the new covenant Scriptures, with respect to the evidence which it furnishes of the truth of Christianity.
Matthew 24 Clarke's Commentary

John Gill's Exposition - Calvinist
Matthew 24 Gill's Exposition

It was until Darby and Scofield that this whole new 'future end times' theology spread through the protestant churches.

Edit: Rapture = Resurrection of the Saints

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
:sigh:
If you think that the rapture theory and protestant goes had in hand you are very wrong. The early protestant denominations did not believe in the 'rapture' and many still don't today. I don't.

Early commentaries written by Arminians and Calvinists both believed that Matthew 24, Mark 13, and Luke 21 were all prophecies of the destruction of Jerusalem and the temple in AD70 as well as Daniel 9, and that is what I believe.
Here's the proof.
Adam Clarke's Commentary - Arminian
This chapter contains a prediction of the utter destruction of the city and temple of Jerusalem, and the subversion of the whole political constitution of the Jews; and is one of the most valuable portions of the new covenant Scriptures, with respect to the evidence which it furnishes of the truth of Christianity.
Matthew 24 Clarke's Commentary

John Gill's Exposition - Calvinist
Matthew 24 Gill's Exposition

It was until Darby and Scofield that this whole new 'future end times' theology spread through the protestant churches.

Edit: Rapture = Resurrection of the Saints

The idea that this doctrine originated at the time of Darby is indeed widely circulated. But it is completely incorrect. The christian literature of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries was filled with references to the rapture, and clearly taught that it would take place before the great tribulation. And numerous other documents teaching these ideas even long before these times have been discovered. I and others have written extensively on this fact.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The idea that this doctrine originated at the time of Darby is indeed widely circulated.
I didn't say it did and knew it didn't.
This what I said....
It wasn't until Darby and Scofield that this whole new 'future end times' theology spread through the protestant churches.

It spread through the protestant churches and was new to them.

Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I didn't say it did and knew it didn't.
This what I said....
It wasn't until Darby and Scofield that this whole new 'future end times' theology spread through the protestant churches.

It spread through the protestant churches and was new to them.
I misunderstood you. That statement is indeed correct. Although Darby did not originate the doctrine, he did popularize it.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0