Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Member elopez has posted a nicely thought out defense of his position. I enjoyed reading it, but not necessarily agreeing with it.

For example, elopez notes:
What free will does not mean then is that man has the ability to save himself. This is a indeterminist position known as libertarianism, and preaches man does have the ability to do such. I find that view on free will to be false as it is not Biblical.

As stated, prior to his defining exactly what he views "free will" to mean, the above resonates well with my own and all Reformed believers.

But, when considering regeneration—"re-birth", "born again"—elopez goes on to observe (emphasis below is my own):

So God bestows us with the Holy Spirit who brings conviction, and this is an external factor, yet we notice it does in fact force us to do something we do not want, which is the natural desire to sin. This has a huge ramification as we realize in this occurrence it appears that even by the definition I supplied one would not have free will, yet this does not mean free will all together ceases to exist. What this does mean is that there are instances in which one's free will is meddled with. I believe this imposing of the will is only in the instance of God first making 'contact' with an individual, and from there on out one sustains free will. Notice that when the Spirit comes to us we are not free because it forces us to do something we do not desire, to abstain from sin.

In the above elopez reveals a nuance that I would disagree with. Regeneration, as I understand it from Scripture, is an instantaneous singular act via the ordinary means of the hearing of the Good News by which the Holy Spirit replaces the heart of stone of the lost (Eze. 36:26) such that the lost is now morally capable of choosing the righteousness of God and in fact will do nothing but choose as such. Contrary to elopez, at the moment of regeneration, there is no forcing of the will for that will no longer is captive to its former state of inability to do anything but sin more or sin less. Elopez affirms a view that has God spiritually assaulting the lost in an overwhelming display of power of the Spirit versus affirming the view I see from Scripture that the lost, prior to regeneration

- is deceitful and desperately sick (Jer. 17:9);
- is full of evil (Mark 7:21-23);
- loves darkness rather than light (John 3:19);
- is unrighteous, does not understand, does not seek for God (Rom. 3:10-12);
- is helpless and ungodly (Rom. 5:6);
- is dead in his trespasses and sins (Eph. 2:1);
- is by nature a child of wrath (Eph. 2:3);
- cannot understand spiritual things (1 Cor. 2:14); and
- is a slave of sin (Rom. 6:16-20).

It seems to me from the above small sampling of the many teachings in Holy Writ about the total inability of the lost, that they have no moral ability to seek after the righteousness of God. It is only when God the Holy Spirit regeneratively replaces their lost hearts of stone with one of flesh (Eze. 36:26) that the lost are given the moral ability to believe and then irrevocably evidence the fruit of their regeneration—faith and repentance.

Lastly, elopez later provides the reader with a definition of "free will":
free will is defined as the freedom of the mind and freedom to act, not in a libertarian sense

I struggle here to reconcile what on its surface looks as a solid starting point, but clashes with what has come earlier. For me, the state of the lost as I have noted above, in no way limits there freedom to act, especially in the sense of being able to choose contrary to what they have so chosen (libertarianism). Indeed, the lost are free to act, but all their acts are at enmity with God, even their acts of civil good, such as giving to charity, helping the old lady across the road, etc., for these acts are done with the wrong motive—not for the glory of God.

From what I state above about the moral state of the lost, that is, they are quite spiritually dead, elopez will have to flesh out what he believes to be the state of the unregenerated person. For me, the lost and the regenerated believer are only able to choose according to their greatest inclinations at the moment they so choose. In the case of the unregenerate, their inclinations, as I have noted above, are bound by their state of moral inability to in any way choose what is "good" in the eyes of God. The lost, fallen in Adam, possess no remnant of prevenient grace, such that they can cooperate with their own moment of re-birth. To claim otherwise is to argue those that hear the Good News are somehow more wise, more informed, more willing, than their neighbors. This makes God a debtor, enables means of boasting, and robs God of all the glory for our salvation.

I would ask elopez, "What exactly is this sustained free will after 'first contact' with God that exists after regeneration?" I get a sense he is closer to my own and the Reformed views than he realizes, but is encumbered with some inchoate notions of what "free will" means in the face of a sovereign God.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
So not libertarian free will, but some sort of "limited" free will. Well now that's just an oxymoron. :p The definition expressed in the post is essentially chalking our free will up to nothing more than a perception...an illusion if you will.

Lastly:

"If one does not grasp he has reasons for acting, or even why he is acting, he cannot be held responsible for his behavior."

And why not?

And yet scripture says:

Proverbs 20:24 New International Version (NIV)

24 A person’s steps are directed by the Lord.
How then can anyone understand their own way?

This verse alone, and yet there are many others, is enough for me to reject free will, understand it's nothing more than an illusion, and accept full determinism and predestination.

Upvote 0

AMR

Presbyterian (PCA) - Bona Fide Reformed
Jun 19, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Visit site
✟211,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

AMR

Jun 19, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Visit site
✟211,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Arythmael

Jul 3, 2006
✟8,011.00
Faith
Baptist
An illusion would imply something not in fact comporting with reality. Our choices are very real and have consequences. We make choices according to our own inclinations. That is as free as we can be.

See also:
http://www.christianforums.com/xfa-blog-entry/gods-foreknowledge-and-free-will.12086/
http://www.christianforums.com/xfa-blog-entry/compatibilism-free-will-and-gods-sovereignty.11272/
http://www.christianforums.com/xfa-blog-entry/the-decree-of-god.11255/

I love this topic!

I don't see how a discussion about this topic can even begin without a clear, mutually agreed upon definition of what "free" means, at the least. To me, this is at the crux of the debate about whether it is even feasible.

We have to address our most fundamental understanding of the universe, which is that it appears to unrelentingly follow a pattern of cause and effect. Unless we want to go down the route of quantum mechanics and its implications, at least for the layman, we are stuck with the idea that a "choice" made by any person either has a cause or it does not have a cause.

If "free" means the choice does not have a cause, then by definition it is random. But clearly our choices do not appear to be random. Yet if the choice does have a cause, then how could it have been made "freely", rather than having in some sense been "forced" by whatever the underlying cause happened to be? And if it was forced, then yes, that would certainly bring up the question of accountability.

I don't think that suggesting "free will" is an illusion necessarily implies that the experience of having made a "choice" is not real or fails to have consequences. I think the suggestion has more to do with the "apparent randomness" of the choice. Studies in chaos theory bring out the idea that some series of causes and effects, especially iterative ones, very soon become so complex to understand that the next effect to be caused appears totally random -- like weather patterns and planetary orbits. The bottom line is that so many organic things that come from iterative cycles of causes and effects (where the output feeds back into the input, as our choices do) show signs of appearing random when in fact they are completely predictable. That "illusion" is already everywhere in nature, and the suggestion here I think is that the "free" (non-deterministic) nature of our choices is in fact an illusion in the sense that it merely "appears" to be made without being forced by its long history of causes and effects.

Other concepts to consider include (1) whether being "forced" to choose by only internal influences leaves the chooser still "free" and still "accountable", (2) how much external influence would we have to identify in order to remove culpability from the chooser, and (3) if in fact being "accountable" and therefore "punishable" is not so much the issue as is the question of what do you do with a creation so badly malformed that it has no receptors, no ability to receive the "fix" that would otherwise reform it (the inability to "hear His voice", as it were)? In this last case, it is more a matter of what the thing is capable of doing than what it is accountable for doing.

I'd love to discuss these things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

elopez

Oct 11, 2010
Lansing, MI
✟18,206.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I enjoyed reading it, but not necessarily agreeing with it.
I read some of the links. You do know that what you expressed there is, literally name for name, what I argued for..? For example, you find compatibilism to be true. And that is what I described and advocated.

As stated, prior to his defining exactly what he views "free will" to mean, the above resonates well with my own and all Reformed believers.
I don't understand you here. Are you saying you think man has the ability to save himself appart from God? The links and literature do not indicate that, yet again only the opposite. "The above" you are referring to is libertarianism, which what you seem to be arguing against in said literature, and which is what I was talking about is wrong in the original quote.

I think maybe these blunders should be clarified before further discussing the rest of what you were saying.

Upvote 0

elopez

Oct 11, 2010
Lansing, MI
✟18,206.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Unfortunately, the debate was not finished. It came to a unexpected end in the third round, however, I would still be open to my opponent making his final comments. Overall, it was not as successful a dialog as I had hoped for. I feel like not much, if any, ground was covered on the issue, when there are so much to cover! Either way, I thank @SinnerInTheHands for accepting and participating.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AMR

Jun 19, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Visit site
✟211,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I read some of the links. You do know that what you expressed there is, literally name for name, what I argued for..? For example, you find compatibilism to be true. And that is what I described and advocated.
I did not say otherwise.

I don't understand you here. Are you saying you think man has the ability to save himself appart from God? The links and literature do not indicate that, yet again only the opposite. "The above" you are referring to is libertarianism, which what you seem to be arguing against in said literature, and which is what I was talking about is wrong in the original quote.
I am not saying that at all. The "above" was a small quote of yours that I said resonated with me. I also noted that the quote appears before you got around to defining "free will" which I went on to comment about later. Nothing more.

I think maybe these blunders should be clarified before further discussing the rest of what you were saying.
The "blunders" here appear to be you misreading me, no?

AMR

Upvote 0

AMR

Jun 19, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Visit site
✟211,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Unfortunately, the debate was not finished. It came to a unexpected end in the third round, however, I would still be open to my opponent making his final comments. Overall, it was not as successful a dialog as I had hoped for. I feel like not much, if any, ground was covered on the issue, when there are so much to cover! Either way, I thank @SinnerInTheHands for accepting and participating.
Why did the debate end unexpectedly?

AMR

Upvote 0

AMR

Jun 19, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Visit site
✟211,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not yet. Is there a particular item from all that content which I might be inclined to address here?
You stated you loved the topic and then charged ahead demonstrating you do have some things to say about it. Most of your questions posed are answered in the links given earlier. This is why I asked if you have read them.

Upvote 0

Arythmael

Jul 3, 2006
✟8,011.00
Faith
Baptist
You stated you loved the topic and then charged ahead demonstrating you do have some things to say about it. Most of your questions posed are answered in the links given earlier. This is why I asked if you have read them.
So is there a particular item from those links that you would be interested in discussing with me here or not? After all this is a forum for people to have discussions, not a library.

Upvote 0

elopez

Oct 11, 2010
Lansing, MI
✟18,206.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I am not saying that at all. The "above" was a small quote of yours that I said resonated with me. I also noted that the quote appears before you got around to defining "free will" which I went on to comment about later. Nothing more.
Well if we both agree that God must intervene as to save man, then we both accept that before that point man desires not to follow God but to sin. After God intervenes he wishes to follow Him. That is describing what you seemingly have of regeneration there. You describe man prior to regeneration as something I have not described, when indeed I have. I am saying prior to regeneration man does not desire to follow God, that man does not have the ability to do so, and He must act as to change that.

The "blunders" here appear to be you misreading me, no?

AMR
Not entirely, no.

Upvote 0