Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
The El's were a generic form of speaking about the "gods", Abraham notes that one in particular was the highest of the Els (El-shaddai means most high God) who was the all mighty God (creator of all the lesser gods or angelic spirits worshipped by men) so also called Him El-Elyon (the All Mighty God) and in the fullness of time this Highest God of all the gods (the beni elohim fallen or otherwise), the LORD of lords revealed to Moses His name was YHVH.

Before that no one knew His personal name thought the Semitic Akkadians (sons of Shem, sons of Noah) called Him "EA" (pronounced ee-Yah)

El is the Hebrew Semitic word for God, Akkadian term is ilu as in Bab-ilu (Babylon) "Gate of God), just as 'llah is the Arabic Semitic word for God. YHVH is the proper name for the God of Israel.

Upvote 0

BeforeTheFoundation

Jan 20, 2008
✟16,297.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Ok, This is ridiculous and I cannot keep silent any more.

I am the person that GCC referenced in relationship to James Charlesworth in post 8. I worked personally with him on many of his academic projects both in the United States and in Israel on a daily basis for a long time. And to claim that he believes that that there is no consensus on who the historical Jesus is is completely inaccurate and shows very clearly that BlueLightning has not read any of his books.

This is equally as true for people like Sanders, Theisson, Meier, Wright, and the other members of the Third Quest. Scholars will always disagree, however, the level of agreement on the historical Jesus is astounding. But as I did not personally work with them I will stay with Professor Charlesworth.

Charlesworth absolutely believes that you can nail down specifics about the historical Jesus beyond any reasonable doubt. This is basic to the enterprise that he does. That enterprise being history. Historians have to believe that you can say something definitive about what they are talking about. Moreover, he believes that his view of the historical Jesus is generally in line with the views of the other questers (and they are). Why else would Professor Charlesworth have other Questers' books be required reading for his classes? Why else would he appear on the back of some of those books offering quotes of support? Why else would some of those books even be dedicated to him? Indeed, one book is even dedicated to him and E. P. Sanders simultaneously. If there is no consensus then why would one book by one scholar be simultaneously dedicated to two other scholars that (in this odd understanding) have nothing in common?

Incidentally, this quote (from wikipedia)
"The third quest has thus witnessed a fragmentation of the scholarly interpretations in which no unified picture of Jesus can be attained at all."
really does not come from page 5 of this book: The Quest for the Plausible Jesus: The Question of Criteria by Gerd Theissen and Dagmar Winter (I'm looking at it right now). Moreover, if a search using Google's search engine in Google books can be trusted, neither does it appear anywhere in that book. Likewise, searching through Jesus Research: An International Perspective pages 1-2 also reveals that quote to be absent.

The closest you get in Theissen's book is this:

emphasis mine said:
In the meantime, the "Third Quest" has sprouted numerous branches. A unified picture of Jesus has by no means been attained.The differences between the various authors are even greater than among the authors in the "New Quest.

The bolded part is what is important here. Theissen has just gone to show that the "New Quest" was very uniform, having been largely influenced by Bultmann. Indeed directly after the above quote we find this:

Almost all the authors within the "New Quest" originated from one academic tradition, namely, the Bulmann school

Theissen is not so much claiming that there is no concenses as the quote-from-goodness-knows-where that BL cites seems to imply. Rather he is stating that in comparison to the uniformity found within the "New Quest" the "Third Quest" is relatively diverse. This does not mean, however, that they cannot find significant and serious common ground.

Likewise, the closest thing one finds in Jesus Research: An International Perspective is this:

Charlesworth Introduction p 1 said:
It is important to evaluate the present state of research since what had been perceived to be a developing consensus in the 1980s has collapsed into a chaos of opinions.

However, as usual, it is important to read beyond page 1 of a book. If you do that, and read his entire Introduction, you will find that he says this (Bold mine):

Charlesworth Introduction said:
The scholars in this collection know that historians can only approximate probablilites. Historical research does not lead to certainties; it provides probabilities that depend on the changing source material and are thus constantly open to modification. Yet, the scholars involved in the Princeton-Prague Symposia tend to concur that a sketch of Jesus is beginning to appear that is both increasingly reliable, historically, and helpful theologically... Those who composed the following chapters contribute to a challenging international dialogue. All of them concur, with differing degrees of emphasis... that it is possible to pursue Jesus Research. The life and mind of Jesus from Nazareth is no longer lost in the fog of theological pronouncements.

Indeed, far from this book demonstrating that there is no consensus as BL seems to think, the entire enterprise of the book is to demonstrate that there is serious consensus on the topic of Jesus Research.

Likewise, even the data that BL provides from Wikipedia supports this.

Indeed, this long list of things that scholars agree with (even scholars outside of the Third Quest like Crossan) that BL helpfully includes is truly astonishing and significantly more than for most historical figures. Moreover, that list from Wikipedia, which BL seems to think is somehow the sum total of what the scholars agree upon is only meant as a general outline. When one actually reads the individual scholars, one finds out that there is much agreement (indeed, working through Meier's A Marginal Jew for instance will show that he quote's Charlesworth's Jesus Within Judaism often in order to agree with him (that is merely an example).

Yes, each scholar tries to add something new, and in that sense disagrees with the scholars that came before them, but like all history, that is a refinement, not a rejection. There is significant agreement on the life of Jesus within modern Jesus Research.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BL2KTN

Scholar, Author, Educator
Oct 22, 2010
Tennessee, United States
✟18,144.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Libertarian
LiberalAnglicanCatholic said:
El is the Hebrew Semitic word for God

This is incorrect. El is the name of a specific god - the chief god of the Canaanite pantheon. This is easily seen in Genesis 33:20 in which Jacob builds an altar to "El, god of Israel” (’el ’elohe yišra’el).

Upvote 0
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

This is incorrect. El is the name of a specific god - the chief god of the Canaanite pantheon. This is easily seen in Genesis 33:20 in which Jacob builds an altar to "El, god of Israel” (’el ’elohe yišra’el).

I don't know what Hebrew dictionary you own, but "el" can clearly function both as the name of (a) god and as a term for (a) god.

Upvote 0

BL2KTN

Oct 22, 2010
Tennessee, United States
✟18,144.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Libertarian
BeforetheFoundation said:
I am the person that GCC referenced in relationship to James Charlesworth in post 8. I worked personally with him on many of his academic projects both in the United States and in Israel on a daily basis for a long time.

I don't know who you are or what your credentials might be. That said, your given age on the site is 27. I don't know how someone who is 27 could have worked with someone on a daily basis for "a long time." Perhaps I have a different idea for what "a long time" might mean. So to clarify, what were the years in which you worked with Charlesworth and in what capacity?

And to claim that he believes that that there is no consensus on who the historical Jesus is is completely inaccurate and shows very clearly that BlueLightning has not read any of his books.

I never made such a comment. Perhaps you didn't read the debate? You'll note in the concluding post (as well as in others), I listed what scholars and historians generally accept as historical aspects of Yeshua.

Charlesworth absolutely believes that you can nail down specifics about the historical Jesus beyond any reasonable doubt.

Professor Charlesworth is also an ordained Methodist minister. Do you think this might affect his position? I might approach the work of an Imam more skeptically if the Imam were writing about historical Islam.

really does not come from page 5 of this book: The Quest for the Plausible Jesus: The Question of Criteria by Gerd Theissen and Dagmar Winter (I'm looking at it right now).

You are correct. The Wikipedia article is wrong, and thus so am I. That said, the quote from Wikipedia is essentially mirrored by the quote you also provide:

"In the meantime, the "Third Quest" has sprouted numerous branches. A unified picture of Jesus has by no means been attained.The differences between the various authors are even greater than among the authors in the "New Quest."

The bolded part is what is important here. Theissen has just gone to show that the "New Quest" was very uniform, having been largely influenced by Bultmann.

All of this eventually turns into word salad. There are a very few things which have consensus in regards to the historical Yeshua. Any pretending that this is untrue is really obfuscation. Here are the very few things upon which we can reach consensus:

1) Yeshua was a Jew.
2) Yeshua taught a version of Judaism that resulted in his death.
3) Yeshua had disciples.
4) After his death some of those disciples were persecuted.
5) Yeshua was baptized.
6) Yeshua was crucified.
7) Yeshua was from Nazareth.

That's really it. So all of this stuff about the quests, all the discussions about what we can know and what we can't know... it's all just garble. The above seven are all we have in the present time, and barring some major archaeological discoveries, I don't see any way to move beyond these.

What say you?

Indeed, far from this book demonstrating that there is no consensus as BL seems to think, the entire enterprise of the book is to demonstrate that there is serious consensus on the topic of Jesus Research.

All of this comes back to seven points which provide us with very, very scant information. A quick glance at someone's Facebook page would give you more real information about that person than you can know about Jesus.

Indeed, this long list of things that scholars agree with (even scholars outside of the Third Quest like Crossan) that BL helpfully includes is truly astonishing and significantly more than for most historical figures.

It's nothing compared to Julius Caesar, and I do worry about your overreaching in this regard. We've got a couple of points - none of which indicate anything resembling deification, self-recognition of being a messiah/savior - and yet we've got people identifying these things as reasons to believe in Christianity. It really does make one think that perhaps these esoteric books written by Christian professors in the name of history, might be overselling the actual knowledge we have.

Yes, each scholar tries to add something new, and in that sense disagrees with the scholars that came before them, but like all history, that is a refinement, not a rejection. There is significant agreement on the life of Jesus within modern Jesus Research.

There is significant agreement on a very few, extremely basic concepts. Where he was from, that he was real, that he was baptized, that he died, he was a Jew, and some people followed him. If that's impressive to you, the bar is very, very low.

GCC said:
I don't know what Hebrew dictionary you own, but "el" can clearly function both as the name of (a) god and as a term for (a) god.

The term ’el ’elohe yišra’el means "El, god of Israel" (and the name Isra'el literally means "may el preserve). So if we truly break it all the way down it says "El, god of MayElPreserveLand". If the term "el" in this phrase were simply to refer to a generic term, it would make no sense. It would be like saying "God, god of Israel," and trying to convince others that the term "God" isn't a specific deity.

Upvote 0

BeforeTheFoundation

Jan 20, 2008
✟16,297.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

GCC is absolutely correct here. El can function in basically three ways. I do not have the time to actually go through and explain how the proto-semitic root of the word works, but in incredibly broad strokes, in the Semitic languages this word can function in basically three ways.

1. It can be a generalized term for god (as in the improper noun referring to a being that is a deity). In this sense, when el is used in Semitic languages, it essentially functions as a synonym for elohim. (once again, this is in very broad strokes). In this way it actually functions in a similar way to how the word ba'al works. I.e. it works essentially as a title. (hence, el-elyon, el-shaddai. Compare to ba'al-hadad and perhaps ba'al-zebul/ba'al-zebub). Please note, I am not saying these are the same thing. Indeed, technically speaking ba'al is much more similar in meaning to adon than el. However, their function is not dissimilar. See also, in these cases, one finds a similarity (though again, not an exact similarity) to the cuneiform sign DINGIR which serves as a marker that the word to which it is attached is a deity (or a being with divine powers, again, this is a very rough sketch of all of this).

2. It can be, as BL states, the proper name of the Canaanite deity, El. However, this becomes very problematic when viewed in light of number one above, as you can imagine. Given the fragmentary nature of the texts and tablets that we have, it is not always clear whether a text that uses el means the one father deity El or just a generic god. Consider this entirely hypothetical text: "The Great god (read 'el') smote his enemies." Does this mean that El himself destoyed his foes? Or does it mean that a generic deity (perhaps identified in the preceding but missing line) killed his enemies? It's virtually impossible to tell. This is even further complicated when one realizes the complexity and fluidity of pantheons in the ancient world. Having grown up hearing about the Greek pantheon which most of us were (incorrectly) taught was very solid (i.e. Apollo was a Greek god, Isis was an Egyptian god) we assume (incorrectly) that pantheons were always set. However, upon closer inspection that is not true. Pantheons were regularly added to or had gods that became less popular and faded out of use. Many different pantheons include El as the father deity. Are they the same god? Are the Amorites worshiping the same existential and hypothetical being as the Phoenicians? Well, perhaps, but perhaps not. It's not entirely clear. Honestly, it's kind of a silly question at the end of the day, because without interviewing ancient cultic priests one can never know their answer. Thus the only way to even conceive of an answer is to assume that these deities are real. In other words, to ask, were one group of people worshiping the same god as another group is only answerable if one assumes that the deities are real. Otherwise how could one possibly purport to claim that they are or are not identical. The only other option would be to interview adherents of the religion which is naturally impossible. Even if it were possible, it would likely be fruitless. Comparing this to the modern debate of whether or not the Christian god YHWH is identical with the Muslim god Allah. Some adherents of both religions will say yes, some will say no. At the end of the day, it is a fruitless question.

3. It can be a proper 'name' for the Hebrew deity. I put 'name' in quotation marks because the faith statement that we Christians make is that our god has but one true proper name (YHWH) and everything else is a title. However, linguistically speaking it is not uncommon particularly in the Torah to see the word elohim function more or less as a proper name for God. And likewise, it is not at all uncommon for El to function in the same manner. In this sense, it is possible, as I believe that BL was trying to do, to make the argument that when El is being used in the Bible as a more or less proper name for God that it represents a conflation of El (the Canaanite deity) and YHWH. This is actually where this entire debate that was proposed breaks down however, because there simply is not enough data. It is certainly possible that the early Hebrews saw their neighbors worshiping a god named El and began to do so as well until it was eventually combined with YHWH and eventually they made the claim of monotheism. However, it is just as possible that the Canaanites named one of their deities El (based off of the Semitic word for god) and the Hebrews did the same. Even if they both did so with knowledge that the other group was doing it, it does not necessarily mean that they ever philosophically believed that the deities were one and the same. We simply don't have enough data. Either way, it hardly has an effect of Christianity. Since the very beginning, Christianity has emphasized the idea of progressive revelation.

The best English example of all of this for English speakers is, interestingly enough, the word God.

In English, 'God' is a multivalent word. It can mean:

1. a generalized term for a deity (usually, in this case it is spelled with a lower case 'g' as 'god'). When one talks about any old deity vis a vis their deity, one uses the word in this sense. Hence Apollo was a Greek god. El was a Semitic god. Some people believed that Alexander the Great was an incarnation of a god. Indeed, when I talk about my God (see next point) I can say that God is a god, or YHWH is a god.

2. it can mean 'the' God. I put that in quotes because this has become much more problematic in recent years. The usage of the word in this sense arose when virtually every English speaker agreed that there truly was one and only one deity, and that was the god (notice the lower case) of Christianity who was known as God (notice the upper case). Of course, sociologically, this is no longer the case. However, it still has (more or less) remained true that the word 'God' refers to the Judeo-Christian deity specifically.

3. finally, 'god' can refer to a mighty person in English. "you are a god among men" or "that feat was godlike" is how this functions.

As is clearly the case, if one saw the word which is spelled g-o-d in a text but did not look at the actual sentence, they would have no real way of determining the meaning. And the same is true in the Semitic languages. To pretend that el only ever functions as "the name of a specific god - the chief god of the Canaanite pantheon." is woefully ignorant of how the Semitic languages work.

Upvote 0

Targaryen

Scripture,Tradition and Reason
Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP

I'm wondering how much Hebrew or Semitic language experience BLTN is stating his point from myself. Nearly every linguist and archaeolinguist agrees on the origin and interpretation of El as a descriptor for a generic god or as a proper name.

Upvote 0

BL2KTN

Oct 22, 2010
Tennessee, United States
✟18,144.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Libertarian
GCC is absolutely correct here. El can function in basically three ways.

Except that GCC didn't say that. There's some propping up here methinks =)

1. It can be a generalized term for god (as in the improper noun referring to a being that is a deity). In this sense, when el is used in Semitic languages, it essentially functions as a synonym for elohim.

Close. El is the singular form of elohim (they're not synonyms). In ancient Hebrew, the plural "elohim" became unacceptable as monotheism took hold, and thus when the plural "elohim" is used for the divine in the bible, it's meaning was changed to a "majestic plural." In this way, elohim transitioned to mean a singular divine being, given greater respect by a plural noun, in order to make sense of older polytheistic scriptures that recognized a pantheon of gods.

2. It can be, as BL states, the proper name of the Canaanite deity, El. However, this becomes very problematic when viewed in light of number one above, as you can imagine. Given the fragmentary nature of the texts and tablets that we have, it is not always clear whether a text that uses el means the one father deity El or just a generic god. Consider this entirely hypothetical text: "The Great god (read 'el') smote his enemies." Does this mean that El himself destoyed his foes? Or does it mean that a generic deity (perhaps identified in the preceding but missing line) killed his enemies? It's virtually impossible to tell.

What you're conveniently not responding to is the statement from Jacob, " ’el ’elohe yišra’el," in which there is no ambiguity. Jacob is specifically referring to the god El, not a god.

3. It can be a proper 'name' for the Hebrew deity.

Of course, this assumes that the Hebrew deity and the Canaanite deity are different. It would be like saying the American word "God" and the British word "God" refer to two different deities. Additionally, the titles of El in the torah refer to a god with shared attributes of the Canaanite god El. El-shaddai (most likely "El of the mountain") is almost certainly linked with the Canaanite god El who reigns atop a mountain... coincidentally (or not) just like El-shaddai seems to when Moses goes atop Mount Sinai.

I put 'name' in quotation marks because the faith statement that we Christians make is that our god has but one true proper name (YHWH) and everything else is a title. However, linguistically speaking it is not uncommon particularly in the Torah to see the word elohim function more or less as a proper name for God.

1) When dealing with facts, and a desire to know facts absolutely, adherence to a faith statement and a claim to crowd ("we Christians") is not inspiring as to an unbiased approach.
2) The statement of faith is obviously based on modern Christian dogma, and not reflective of the beliefs of Iron Age scribes writing about El-Shaddai.

This is actually where this entire debate that was proposed breaks down however, because there simply is not enough data. It is certainly possible that the early Hebrews saw their neighbors worshiping a god named El and began to do so as well until it was eventually combined with YHWH and eventually they made the claim of monotheism. However, it is just as possible that the Canaanites named one of their deities El (based off of the Semitic word for god) and the Hebrews did the same. Even if they both did so with knowledge that the other group was doing it, it does not necessarily mean that they ever philosophically believed that the deities were one and the same. We simply don't have enough data. Either way, it hardly has an effect of Christianity. Since the very beginning, Christianity has emphasized the idea of progressive revelation.

Again, it appears that your personal biases greatly impact the way you build a subjective historical construct. I know of no respected historian who would say that the ancient Hebrews and the ancient Canaanites began as two separate people groups. It is a given fact that the Hebrews were, in fact, a collection of Canaanite people that formed together into a distinct people group.

We can see that although the Hebrew people were supposedly from an origin outside of Canaan (according to the bible, Abraham came from Ur), the genealogies listed in the bible reveal that the language of the Hebrews was Canaanite all along. Look as far back as Abel and Mehujael... and yes, you see that these names are references to "El". So although the Canaanite people are supposed to be separate from the Hebrews (according to the bible), and the Hebrew people should have had a different linguistic record because of their supposed origins, what we see is that the Hebrew history of the world fits neatly with a Canaanite linguistic and cultural view. The earliest people, according to the Hebrews, had names recognizing a Canaanite deity.

However, for some reason, it appears you either don't know this. It looks more like you accept a biblical narrative that doesn't hold up under linguistic and historical investigation. When your views seem to be non-academic, and precursored with Christian statements of faith, it does make me more skeptical of other conclusions which you purport in other areas of Christian importance.

As is clearly the case, if one saw the word which is spelled g-o-d in a text but did not look at the actual sentence, they would have no real way of determining the meaning. And the same is true in the Semitic languages. To pretend that el only ever functions as "the name of a specific god - the chief god of the Canaanite pantheon." is woefully ignorant of how the Semitic languages work.

And since nobody is saying that, you may have to find a strawman if you wish to stay on the point. However, what has been said, and which stands in contradiction to your position (that Hebrews did not begin as a group worshiping the Canaanite god El), is the phrase "’el ’elohe yišra’el".

LiberalAnglicanCatholic said:
I'm wondering how much Hebrew or Semitic language experience BLTN is stating his point from myself.

I have a degree in biblical studies, which involved several classes in ancient Hebrew. In addition, I have worked on Hebrew bible translation projects, and I specifically specialize in Genesis studies. I do not reveal enough to identify who I am personally, so there's no point in asking for more.

Nearly every linguist and archaeolinguist agrees on the origin and interpretation of El as a descriptor for a generic god or as a proper name.

This is simply false. I'm linking for you an incredibly annoying video (the editing is horrible), but the content comes from Dr. Christine Hayes of Yale University teaching an Intro to the Bible class (she has online videos, but I don't want to search through hours of videos to find where these clips were ripped from). Even in an Intro the Bible course, they cover that El of the bible was derived from El of the Canaanites. Hopefully you can survive the horrible editing to hear the actual content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADikz5rAjJU

If nearly every linguist and historian agreed with what you say, we wouldn't be teaching the opposite in 100 level classes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BeforeTheFoundation

Jan 20, 2008
✟16,297.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know who you are or what your credentials might be.

No you don't. And I'm not going to tell you what they are either. I'm sure that that sounds like an odd thing to say due to all of the posturing that goes on on this website, but, I am actually a very paranoid person. I don't reveal any information online about myself. In fact some of the biographical information on this cite about me is deliberately incorrect. (heh, it just occurred to me, I hope that's not a TOS violation, someone let me know if it is please).

In fact, it took me much consideration as to whether or not to way in on this debate because it would place me with a particular scholar, which again goes against my basic online philosophy.

I know that does not serve to alleviate your fears concerning my credentials, but at the end of the day, this is an online forum. It's not my life. I have much more concern over my professional credentials in the real world.

That said, your given age on the site is 27.

Your given age is 31, and yet you identify yourself as a "Scholar, Author, Educator" why is it so unbelievable that I am the same or similar only at an ever so slightly younger age?

So to clarify, what were the years in which you worked with Charlesworth and in what capacity?

Once again, and I know this opens me up for criticism, but I will not give you details of my work. If that hurts my credibility on an online forum then so be it. However, suffice it to say that my work with him and other scholars of repute was very intense. I worked with them on a daily basis. I reported to Charlesworth directly. My work and research specifically found its way into his publications. Merely as an example, I am cited as one of two primary compilers for a fragment from the Dead Sea Scrolls which we published in its composite form for the very first time. It truly was cutting edge research.

I was involved most heavily with his work on the DSS, but was also intimately involved with his work on iconogray, epigraphy, Johannine work, Enoch work, and many other projects. I worked with him in the United States and I worked with him in Israel. And he personally helped secure my current job. That was my work with him, not even getting into my other work.

And that is all I have to say on it. Obviously, I have left out details. If this rough sketch convinces you, then fine, if not, then it's an online forum, I'm not that concerned.

I never made such a comment. Perhaps you didn't read the debate?

This next quote, which you did not bother to track down even after GCC told you that it was non-existent begs to differ:

"The third quest has thus witnessed a fragmentation of the scholarly interpretations in which no unified picture of Jesus can be attained at all." -- The Quest for the Plausible Jesus: The Question of Criteria by Gerd Theissen and Dagmar Winter (Aug 30, 2002) ISBN 0664225373 page 5, and Jesus Research: An International Perspective (Princeton-Prague Symposia Series on the Historical Jesus) by James H. Charlesworth and Petr Pokorny (Sep 15, 2009) ISBN 0802863531 pages 1-2

You attributed an erroneous quote to Charlesworth and others that states "no unified picture of Jesus can be attained." This was in response to GCC claiming that there was a scholarly consensus on much concerning Jesus. Rhetorically speaking, what else could you possibly have meant than what I say, i.e. that you are "claim[ing] that he [Charlesworth] believes that that [sic] there is no consensus on who the historical Jesus [is]"?

Professor Charlesworth is also an ordained Methodist minister. Do you think this might affect his position?

Absolutely not, and once again this demonstrates that you are not familiar with the literature. Charlesworth is a professor of history. We virtually never talked about religion, and when we did it was usually to show our exasperation that other historians were using historical studies to try to validate their own faith statements. Is there some bias somewhere in there to be found? Well, the post-modern in me would say of course, his relationship to the Methodist church surely has some impact on his scholarship, but no more than Spong's Episcopalianism, or the fact that Crossan was formerly a Catholic Priest. If you are waiting for a historian with zero bias then you will be waiting a long time.

You are correct. The Wikipedia article is wrong, and thus so am I. That said, the quote from Wikipedia is essentially mirrored by the quote you also provide:

Actually, it's pretty different than the quote that I provided. As is always the case, it is dangerous to simply quote something and leave it at that. If you read Theissen's book, or rather, even just this entire section, you will find that it is demonstrating a general trend within the history of Jesus research, one that ends with a remarkable amount of agreement. The quote I provide states that the Third Quest has less agreement than the "New Quest". But this is a matter of degrees. The "New Quest" was dominated by one and only one school of thought. It was, according to Theissen, virtually uniform. Now the "Third Quest" is more diverse. But just because something is more diverse than near unanimity does not mean that there is no (or virtually no) agreement.

1) Yeshua was a Jew.
2) Yeshua taught a version of Judaism that resulted in his death.
3) Yeshua had disciples.
4) After his death some of those disciples were persecuted.
5) Yeshua was baptized.
6) Yeshua was crucified.
7) Yeshua was from Nazareth.

I am amused by the fact that some of these (well in fairness, only one) is actually still hotly debated. You are seeking to prove that there is very little consensus, and in doing so you have provided us with a list of the "very few things which have consensus in regards to the historical Yeshua" and yet have included that Jesus was from Nazareth, a historical 'fact' that is still debated even within the Third Quest. While I am partial to Nazareth myself, many scholars claim everything from Bethlehem to Capernaum. Now that being said, it would seem that I am only weakening my argument by showing you that one of your certainties is actually not so certain. However, after removing number 7 from above I could easily add many more to your list. Everything from individual sayings that are agreed upon to overarching themes. I am particularly intrigued by number 2 above. Jesus taught a version of Judaism that resulted in his death. Well, yeah, but scholars have gone so much farther than that. We have actually been pretty successful at figuring out what kind of Judaism he taught that resulted in his death. New research into the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Enoch communities living in Galilee (where scholars virtually unanimously agree Jesus spent most of his time; another one to add to the list) also lived and taught. In the broadest of senses, your list is fine as a starting point. But so many of them (notably number 2) can be expanded to an incredible degree. This is the sort of bare bone list that one would see in an Introductory class, or even in a Sunday School, in order to show, in broad strokes, what is happening in Jesus Scholarship, but it is hardly a summary of what scholars can agree on.

barring some major archaeological discoveries, I don't see any way to move beyond these.

See Charlesworth's Jesus and Archaeology which is an edited work. Each article is written by a different scholar and demonstrates all of the wonderful things that archaeology can teach us about Jesus. Or see Jesus within Judaism: New Light from Exciting Archaeological Studies by Charlesworth. We actually have had many of these "major archaeological discoveries." Most notably, as far as Charlesworth is concerned, is the digging done in the region of Jerusalem itself which has validated many of the unique features found in the previously thought to be a-historical Gospel of John. It seems that the author of John actually knew Jerusalem much better than we previously thought. Very interesting stuff.

All of this comes back to seven points which provide us with very, very scant information.

Then you haven't read the literature. I'm sorry to be blunt, but there is significantly more agreement withing the Third Quest than that. If you would like to argue that their conclusions are incorrect, by all means go ahead, but there is a general scholarly consensus on much more than those seven points that you provide.

It's nothing compared to Julius Caesar

But it is compared to say, Alexander the Great or many other historical figures that we have very few doubts about. The reason that Jesus is not granted the same privilege is that he sparked a religious movement which means he is a contentious figure. To get back to your point concerning Charlesworth being a Methodist minister, this is why we have worked so hard to treat Jesus just like Julius Caesar or Alexander the Great. We have X amount of historical data on Caesar, Y amount of data on Alexander, and Z amount of data on Jesus. Using those data, we seek to come to an understanding on who those people were. And, remarkably, we have done a pretty good job at it. If you believe that the data is not good enough for Jesus, then I am assuming you can say nothing definitive about the life of Alexander the Great? A character who was also mythologized and said to be the son of a god? Surely, then, all we can say definitively about Alexander is that he was a Macedonian who dreamed of bigger things.

There is significant agreement on a very few, extremely basic concepts. Where he was from, that he was real, that he was baptized, that he died, he was a Jew, and some people followed him. If that's impressive to you, the bar is very, very low.

As is demonstrated by the actual literature, the bar is significantly higher than that (though even if it were that low, yes that would be pretty remarkable and much more than we could say about most of the important figures of the past). The bar is higher than that, and for the most part, has been met. Does that mean there is no work to be done? No, of course not. Does it mean there is complete and unanimous agreement on every aspect of Jesus life? Hardly. As many scholars have said (Meier comes to mind because I just read him saying this, though unfortunately I do not have the quote on me) it is more than likely that in the future our methodologies will be refined. It's even possible that our quest will be rejected much as we have (largely) rejected the "New Quest" (although I prefer refined to rejected, we still cannot help but quote Bultmann). However, right now, we agree on a fair amount of Jesus Research.

Upvote 0

BL2KTN

Oct 22, 2010
Tennessee, United States
✟18,144.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Libertarian
No you don't. And I'm not going to tell you what they are either. I'm sure that that sounds like an odd thing to say due to all of the posturing that goes on on this website, but, I am actually a very paranoid person. I don't reveal any information online about myself. In fact some of the biographical information on this cite about me is deliberately incorrect. (heh, it just occurred to me, I hope that's not a TOS violation, someone let me know if it is please).

In fact, it took me much consideration as to whether or not to way in on this debate because it would place me with a particular scholar, which again goes against my basic online philosophy.

I know that does not serve to alleviate your fears concerning my credentials, but at the end of the day, this is an online forum. It's not my life. I have much more concern over my professional credentials in the real world.

Totally understand - I'm in the same boat.

Your given age is 31, and yet you identify yourself as a "Scholar, Author, Educator" why is it so unbelievable that I am the same or similar only at an ever so slightly younger age?

I didn't say it was unbelievable. I said it is difficult to imagine that age 27 you have had time to work with anybody for "a long time."

Once again, and I know this opens me up for criticism, but I will not give you details of my work. If that hurts my credibility on an online forum then so be it. However, suffice it to say that my work with him and other scholars of repute was very intense. I worked with them on a daily basis. I reported to Charlesworth directly. My work and research specifically found its way into his publications. Merely as an example, I am cited as one of two primary compilers for a fragment from the Dead Sea Scrolls which we published in its composite form for the very first time. It truly was cutting edge research.

For somebody who wants to keep their real life persona private, you're not doing a very good job. Just given that information, I could probably figure out who you are.

I was involved most heavily with his work on the DSS, but was also intimately involved with his work on iconogray, epigraphy, Johannine work, Enoch work, and many other projects. I worked with him in the United States and I worked with him in Israel. And he personally helped secure my current job. That was my work with him, not even getting into my other work.

And that is all I have to say on it. Obviously, I have left out details. If this rough sketch convinces you, then fine, if not, then it's an online forum, I'm not that concerned.

No urinating contests here... I just wanted to know your scholarly credentials (your degrees, your background). Seemed like a nice thing to know given the level of conversation we're likely to have.

This next quote, which you did not bother to track down even after GCC told you that it was non-existent begs to differ:

I used that quote (which Wikipedia errs on) in response to the Third Quest, not in regards to the idea that nothing can be known about Yeshua. Clearly I argued in favor of a few, very basic things we can know about Yeshua historically. I did so several times in the debate.

You attributed an erroneous quote to Charlesworth and others that states "no unified picture of Jesus can be attained." This was in response to GCC claiming that there was a scholarly consensus on much concerning Jesus. Rhetorically speaking, what else could you possibly have meant than what I say, i.e. that you are "claim[ing] that he [Charlesworth] believes that that [sic] there is no consensus on who the historical Jesus [is]"?

If you'll look at the context, I was using Wikipedia's erroneous quote (which, let me add actually mirrors the real quote in sentiment, so we're splitting hairs a bit) in regards to GCC's statements on the Third Quest. Context is everything. In other places, I repeatedly listed historical facts about Yeshua upon which we have consensus.

Absolutely not, and once again this demonstrates that you are not familiar with the literature. Charlesworth is a professor of history. We virtually never talked about religion, and when we did it was usually to show our exasperation that other historians were using historical studies to try to validate their own faith statements. Is there some bias somewhere in there to be found? Well, the post-modern in me would say of course, his relationship to the Methodist church surely has some impact on his scholarship, but no more than Spong's Episcopalianism, or the fact that Crossan was formerly a Catholic Priest. If you are waiting for a historian with zero bias then you will be waiting a long time.

It is true that I am unfamiliar with most of Dr. Charlesworth's work. But that said, the original point remains. Dr. Charlesworth isn't just a methodist; he's a methodist minister... an ordained individual. In any objective person that should generate a great deal of additional skepticism when reading his works. Dr. Charlesworth has an agenda in reaching others for Jesus, and I'm not sure he could divorce that endeavor from his historical works. I know that I couldn't.

Actually, it's pretty different than the quote that I provided. As is always the case, it is dangerous to simply quote something and leave it at that. If you read Theissen's book, or rather, even just this entire section, you will find that it is demonstrating a general trend within the history of Jesus research, one that ends with a remarkable amount of agreement. The quote I provide states that the Third Quest has less agreement than the "New Quest". But this is a matter of degrees. The "New Quest" was dominated by one and only one school of thought. It was, according to Theissen, virtually uniform. Now the "Third Quest" is more diverse. But just because something is more diverse than near unanimity does not mean that there is no (or virtually no) agreement.

Okay, you've supposedly worked closely with the man for years. Summarize for us, please, what he would likely say are historical facts about Yeshua, and note for us in some ways the facts which were derived specifically through the Third Quest.

I am amused by the fact that some of these (well in fairness, only one) is actually still hotly debated. You are seeking to prove that there is very little consensus, and in doing so you have provided us with a list of the "very few things which have consensus in regards to the historical Yeshua" and yet have included that Jesus was from Nazareth, a historical 'fact' that is still debated even within the Third Quest. While I am partial to Nazareth myself, many scholars claim everything from Bethlehem to Capernaum. Now that being said, it would seem that I am only weakening my argument by showing you that one of your certainties is actually not so certain. However, after removing number 7 from above I could easily add many more to your list.

Well, my understanding is that Nazareth is agreed to be likely because it really doesn't fit Hebrew bible prophecies about the messiah, it wasn't a particularly important, and it even was looked down upon. It is unlikely that writers or myth-makers in that time would fabricate Nazareth as the hometown.

I am particularly intrigued by number 2 above. Jesus taught a version of Judaism that resulted in his death. Well, yeah, but scholars have gone so much farther than that. We have actually been pretty successful at figuring out what kind of Judaism he taught that resulted in his death. New research into the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Enoch communities living in Galilee (where scholars virtually unanimously agree Jesus spent most of his time; another one to add to the list) also lived and taught. In the broadest of senses, your list is fine as a starting point. But so many of them (notably number 2) can be expanded to an incredible degree. This is the sort of bare bone list that one would see in an Introductory class, or even in a Sunday School, in order to show, in broad strokes, what is happening in Jesus Scholarship, but it is hardly a summary of what scholars can agree on.

Okay, expand on number two then. What do we have a pretty firm grasp on in regards to the type of message Yeshua was speaking about. And then add why it is highly likely. We're sort of leaving the debate subject, but I think it's worth it in this case.

See Charlesworth's Jesus and Archaeology which is an edited work. Each article is written by a different scholar and demonstrates all of the wonderful things that archaeology can teach us about Jesus. Or see Jesus within Judaism: New Light from Exciting Archaeological Studies by Charlesworth. We actually have had many of these "major archaeological discoveries." Most notably, as far as Charlesworth is concerned, is the digging done in the region of Jerusalem itself which has validated many of the unique features found in the previously thought to be a-historical Gospel of John. It seems that the author of John actually knew Jerusalem much better than we previously thought. Very interesting stuff.

See, this is where we get into dangerous "let's prove the bible right" territory. I haven't read the book, but I do know that the academic consensus about the Gospel of John hasn't budged... it's by far the least trustworthy canon gospel remaining, and the author is almost as gaffe-prone as the author of Matthew. But, I'll bite:

What archaeological features were uncovered that you feel begin to validate the Gospel of John's historicity?

Then you haven't read the literature. I'm sorry to be blunt, but there is significantly more agreement withing the Third Quest than that. If you would like to argue that their conclusions are incorrect, by all means go ahead, but there is a general scholarly consensus on much more than those seven points that you provide.

I think you're overselling. What other things can we consider historical facts about Yeshua?

But it is compared to say, Alexander the Great or many other historical figures that we have very few doubts about. The reason that Jesus is not granted the same privilege is that he sparked a religious movement which means he is a contentious figure.

No, the reason is that we've got people declaring him and his message to be divine. If the creator of the cosmos is going to send a message of salvation to humanity, you'd think it could be better recorded than a QVC sales pitch.

To get back to your point concerning Charlesworth being a Methodist minister, this is why we have worked so hard to treat Jesus just like Julius Caesar or Alexander the Great. We have X amount of historical data on Caesar, Y amount of data on Alexander, and Z amount of data on Jesus. Using those data, we seek to come to an understanding on who those people were. And, remarkably, we have done a pretty good job at it. If you believe that the data is not good enough for Jesus, then I am assuming you can say nothing definitive about the life of Alexander the Great? A character who was also mythologized and said to be the son of a god? Surely, then, all we can say definitively about Alexander is that he was a Macedonian who dreamed of bigger things.

I don't talk about things outside my knowledge-base, and I'm by no means an expert on Alexander the Great. I suspect we could bring in historians who study Alexander the Great, and they would argue with you. I'm not one of them. Besides, the bar isn't based on how much we know about figures of antiquity, it's based on how concrete a message that offers salvation from damnation should be from a creator who is smart enough to design quantum physics.

If you've got hundreds and hundreds of scholars spending centuries trying to figure out a few morsels about the real message of a 2,000 year old Jewish man, then maybe Yahweh should have sent down some VHS tapes or at least had someone take reliable notes.

As is demonstrated by the actual literature, the bar is significantly higher than that (though even if it were that low, yes that would be pretty remarkable and much more than we could say about most of the important figures of the past). The bar is higher than that, and for the most part, has been met. Does that mean there is no work to be done? No, of course not. Does it mean there is complete and unanimous agreement on every aspect of Jesus life? Hardly. As many scholars have said (Meier comes to mind because I just read him saying this, though unfortunately I do not have the quote on me) it is more than likely that in the future our methodologies will be refined. It's even possible that our quest will be rejected much as we have (largely) rejected the "New Quest" (although I prefer refined to rejected, we still cannot help but quote Bultmann). However, right now, we agree on a fair amount of Jesus Research.

Waiting to hear what you've got. It'll sit here on the largest Christian Forum on the web and I'm sure send many people towards your resources/references. Let's hear it.

Upvote 0

BeforeTheFoundation

Jan 20, 2008
✟16,297.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
N.B. This post is too long so I have split it into two different posts. In case things get messed up as they are submitted, I will label them.

Post 1

BL said:
Except that GCC didn't say that. There's some propping up here methinks =)

You know what? You're actually correct here. After I posted this about there being three uses I re-read what GCC said. He is a good friend of mine, but he would acknowledge that my Hebrew is far superior to his. I saw his statement contradicting yours and due to my friendship with him I immediately rushed to say he was 100% correct. What I should have said was that he was on the right track. However, my haste to defend my friend does not in any way lessen the argument that I put forth.

El is the singular form of elohim

No it's not. While it is often taught in intro classes that אֱלֹהִים is the plural form of אֵל it is not. Indeed, back when I was a wee undergrad bible major I made that same mistake, much to my current embarassment I argued, rather vehemently on these very forums that אֵל is the singular of אֱלֹהִים. But alas, as I actually learned the language, including how to retrograde Hebrew into proto-semitic, I learned that no, no it's not. אֱלֹהִים is the plural of אלוהּ, which may be an expanded form of אֵל (they are certainly related). But linguistically it is improper to say that אֱלֹהִים is the plural of אֵל. (Incidentally, sorry for mixing pointed and unpointed Hebrew. I just re-installed Windows which means I don't have my preferred Hebrew word processor (a program called Nota Bene) so I have to live with Hebrew words copied and pasted from Wikipedia, yuck).

However:

In ancient Hebrew, the plural "elohim" became unacceptable as monotheism took hold, and thus when the plural "elohim" is used for the divine in the bible, it's meaning was changed to a "majestic plural." In this way, elohim transitioned to mean a singular divine being, given greater respect by a plural noun, in order to make sense of older polytheistic scriptures that recognized a pantheon of gods.

This is pretty much correct. With the one or two caveat 1.) (implied though not stated in your quote) that means that conceptually, when we see elohim in the Hebrew Bible to describe their object of devotion they are thinking of one and only one god (at least 9 times out of 10). 2.) It is not as if the ancients had a bunch of texts which included the plural form אֱלֹהִים and then all of a sudden realized that they were monotheists and had to rush to change the verb tenses to singular and inform everyone that now the word אֱלֹהִים should be thought of as singular. It happened much more organically than that. By the relatively late Semitic language of biblical Hebrew, אֱלֹהִים could semantically be plural or singular depending on whether the writer was referring to the concept of a plurality of gods or their own one God.

I imagine that this is what you meant, but I wanted to be sure.

What you're conveniently not responding to is the statement from Jacob, " ’el ’elohe yišra’el," in which there is no ambiguity. Jacob is specifically referring to the god El, not a god.

You have not offered one reason why this statement is so unambiguously referring to the West Semitic deity El. You simply asserted it in post 45. I don't respond to assertions, I respond to arguments. But in lieu of an actual argument to respond to, I will remind you that the Torah is not codified until the Exile so, no, when this is written it is not about the West Semitic deity El. It is possible that in the earliest strains of tradition it did, but not by the time it is redacted. I go into more detail in the next section.

Of course, this assumes that the Hebrew deity and the Canaanite deity are different.

Of course it does. And seeing as virtually every historian would make that claim I see no reason to defend it. Though importantly, I think I may have identified one of the potential misunderstandings, you and I. The text that we have is so systematically edited by the later redactor that I am assuming that when we talk about the "Hebrew deity" as you do in your quote that we are talking about the deity of the people who codified the Torah, i.e. the redactor, or, if we really want to push it then we are talking about the authors of the P and D sources and whoever combined J and E (scholars have recognized in recent years that J and E are so similar that it is nearly fruitless to try to separate them in most cases). Either way, that would mean that the texts that we are using represents a period in the history of Israel in which, even if they had point blank stolen El from the Canaanites they were clearly no longer seeing him as El and had already combined him with YHWH to make him their own. Are you trying to suggest that the texts that we have somehow preserve a much much older theological position? I.e. that of El worship? Because that would be deeply problematic as the Redactor has clearly removed much polytheism already. Why on earth would he allow the worship of El in opposition to YHWH to remain in the text he was redacting? Indeed, even if this is true, as I make clear in the next paragraph, traditionally this verse is attributed to the P source, which itself is relatively late. Why would the late P writer allow for this?

If you would like to make an argument for why the Canaanite deity and the Hebrew deity are one and the same as preserved in the Hebrew bible, or cite reputable scholars who make that argument, then I would be more than happy to respond to it. Likewise, if you do want to argue that El worship is somehow allowed by the Redactor and therefore is to be found within the redacted text, then by all means go ahead. But I don't need to defend something that is upheld by virtually everyone, i.e. that the god advocated by the Hebrew text is not to be identified with the Canaanite deity El. Indeed, El worship had fallen out of favor by that point. Similarly, note, what Hayes is saying in the youtube video that you give us is not that they are worshiping the same deity by the time that the Hebrews have come into their own. She is saying that the deities may come from the same thing. But, most scholars attribute this particular text to the P source (like Speiser) which places it well after the Iron age making it impossible that the author of the the text thought of this as anything other than YHWH. Indeed, the P source is so staunchly monotheistic it is not even funny. Others (Like Friedman) make it the E source, a tradition which can be traced back to the Iron Age, but even so, the text is not redacted until very late in the history of Ancient Israel (some suggesting even as late as the Exile) when the entire shtick of the Redactor was to advocate for radical monotheism which was equated with YHWH worship.

1) When dealing with facts, and a desire to know facts absolutely, adherence to a faith statement and a claim to crowd ("we Christians") is not inspiring as to an unbiased approach.

It seems that you failed to actually read the paragraph that this is responding to. Had you done so you would have seen that the point was that contrary to the faith claim states, I am treating elohim as a name. Read that again: Contrary to the faith claim.

2) The statement of faith is obviously based on modern Christian dogma, and not reflective of the beliefs of Iron Age scribes writing about El-Shaddai.

Obviously, which is why I say this:

me said:
However, linguistically speaking it is not uncommon particularly in the Torah to see the word elohim function more or less as a proper name for God.

That's the second sentence of the paragraph you are responding to which makes me wonder how far into it you read. What that means is that what my paragraph is actually saying is this:

~ the faith statement claims that YHWH is the 'name' of God
~but the text (i.e. the thing compiled well after the Iron Age as you say) seems to treat elohim as a name as well.

Clearly, when I am willing to say that the faith statement has it wrong, I am not blinded by my mad adherence to a dogmatic faith.

Again, it appears that your personal biases greatly impact the way you build a subjective historical construct. I know of no respected historian who would say that the ancient Hebrews and the ancient Canaanites began as two separate people groups. It is a given fact that the Hebrews were, in fact, a collection of Canaanite people that formed together into a distinct people group.

Ok, this represents another fundamental misunderstanding that you seem to have. Yes, the Hebrew people came out of the Canaanites, but the Canaanites are far far far far from uniform. They're not really one people group per se. They are a group of people groups. It is similar (though admittedly not as extreme due to the size of land involved) as the Native Americans. Yes, there are similarities between the Iriquois and the Cherokee, and yes, there may even be overlap in their religion (I must admit, I know very little about Native American... well, anything really). But they're not the same people group.

Yes, the Hebrews were a Canaanite group, but they should never be identified as the Canaanites. That would be like saying the Cherokee are the Native Americans as opposed to saying, the Cherokee are Native Americans.

We can see that although the Hebrew people were supposedly from an origin outside of Canaan (according to the bible, Abraham came from Ur), the genealogies listed in the bible reveal that the language of the Hebrews was Canaanite all along. Look as far back as Abel and Mehujael... and yes, you see that these names are references to "El". So although the Canaanite people are supposed to be separate from the Hebrews (according to the bible), and the Hebrew people should have had a different linguistic record because of their supposed origins, what we see is that the Hebrew history of the world fits neatly with a Canaanite linguistic and cultural view. The earliest people, according to the Hebrews, had names recognizing a Canaanite deity.

See, again, you are so close to being correct, but then you miss the point. Of course no serious scholar suggests that the Hebrews come (solely) from outside of Canaan (a few say that there was some level of immigration, but even they say that the vast majority come from inside the land). But that does not mean that all people living in the land have identical religions. That would be silly today, but when travel 'to the other side of the hill' was difficult, it is absolutely ludicrous to imagine. Indeed, it is much more reasonable to understand the religions as being dis-unified. Indeed, even centuries later we find within the religious texts (including the Hebrew Bible) the priests of the religion still struggling to force the religion to be uniform (see for instance the question of where and it is proper to sacrifice to YHWH, even the Torah disagrees on this point). And that represents a much later form of the cult. Before that it was only more difficult. So to say that any history fits "neatly with a Canaanite linguistic and cultural view" is certainly an oversimplification. As an incredibly obvious example, look at Psalm 104 and notice the similarities to the Great Hymn of Aten (an Egyptian god). Clearly the Hebrew religion is affected by more than simply the 'Canaanite' culture.

See also, yes, we see names that include the word el both late and early. So? I'm getting exasperated at having to repeat this, but 'el' means god. Not all occurrences of the word אֵל are referring to the proper name El.

However, for some reason, it appears you either don't know this. It looks more like you accept a biblical narrative that doesn't hold up under linguistic and historical investigation.

You presume, without even questioning, that I accept the Exodus narrative at face value. Your logic seems to be this: I am a Christian, therefore I must take the narrative at face value which makes me unreliable as a scholar. As I have already made clear I do not make that historically rediculous assumption. I say that specifically about the exodus in this post, but it should come as no surprise seeing as what I have already said about Jesus research. I presume that you also assume that I think the world only came into existence 6,000 years ago as well? You do realize we're not all fundamentalists, right?

[continued in next post]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BeforeTheFoundation

Jan 20, 2008
✟16,297.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Post 2

When your views seem to be non-academic, and precursored with Christian statements of faith, it does make me more skeptical of other conclusions which you purport in other areas of Christian importance.

Again, this seems to be based on your misreading of my earlier paragraph. The one in which I expressly said that the faith claim that elohim is not a name is incorrect historically speaking.

And since nobody is saying that, you may have to find a strawman if you wish to stay on the point.

On the contrary, someone has made that claim. Namely you. You seem to be claiming that el only ever means El, the 'Canaanite' deity. At the very least you make that claim concerning Genesis 33:20 without giving any reason why that is the case in that text. That certainly leads one to believe that you take as a priori fact that all occurrences of el should be equated with El, the Canaanite deity. As that is clearly not the case and it (often) is used as a generic term for a deity I stated: "To pretend that el only ever functions as 'the name of a specific god - the chief god of the Canaanite pantheon.' is woefully ignorant of how the Semitic languages work." Your accusations of a straw man would work much better had I actually constructed one.

However, what has been said, and which stands in contradiction to your position (that Hebrews did not begin as a group worshiping the Canaanite god El)

You know I never claimed that. Behold, this is what I said:

It is certainly possible that the early Hebrews saw their neighbors worshiping a god named El and began to do so as well until it was eventually combined with YHWH and eventually they made the claim of monotheism. However, it is just as possible that the Canaanites named one of their deities El (based off of the Semitic word for god) and the Hebrews did the same. Even if they both did so with knowledge that the other group was doing it, it does not necessarily mean that they ever philosophically believed that the deities were one and the same. We simply don't have enough data.

You claim that I am running solely on faith and ignoring true scholarship. However, the true scholar is the one that can recognize when there is not enough data. As my above quote clearly demonstrates, I believe that it is certainly possible that the Hebrews picked up El worship from their neighbors and eventually combined him with YHWH. But that is not proven. Again, this comes back to the philosophical problem that I explain above and you do not respond to: how does one identify that two gods are the same without comparing them to each other? As I deny that one of these deities exists and you deny that both of them do, I find it rather improbable that we will be able to have a sit-down with them. The only other way of doing that is to interview adherents of the religions (modern adherents of Judeo-Christianity would obviously not count). However, they are all dead. Barring that we would have to investigate their literature, which we have. But what we have found is that they have not engaged in inter-religious dialogue, at least not like we would think of it. Therefore there are no claims from either side saying that they are or are not worshiping the same deity. So that leaves us with merely comparing their attributes as their adherents describe them. But, just because their attributes are similar, or even identical, does not mean that the adherents believe they are one and the same.

Tell me, are Arabic Christians and Muslims worshiping the same god merely because their word for god comes from the same root? They certainly have similar characteristics, but I imagine that you would hesitate to shout in an Iraqi market that Isis should chill out because, after all, the Christians are worshiping Allah.

Did the Hebrews 'steal' their god from their neighbors? Possibly. Did they incorporate aspects of their neighbor's gods into their own religion? Almost certainly. But it is impossible for us to tell where the break in tradition comes. Did they take on the Canaanite El and later change him into YHWH or did they talk about YHWH in terms of things they knew their neighbors were saying about El? I am not, nor have I ever, said that one is true and the other is not. I am enough of a scholar to know when we don't have enough information. Surely there is cross pollination, but we cannot know at what point the Hebrews began using the term אֵל for their own deity and him alone.

And before you simply accuse me of not wanting to address the question because it would impact my faith, a.) it would not impact it in the slightest. Like GCC this whole question does not affect my faith claim at all, and, b.) this is the same movement that I do with other deities. Are Jupiter and Zeus the same existential deity? Well, I can certainly trace a line of thought between them (the documentation is better than with El/YHWH) but even with that, it's not necessarily clear that they were believed by both parties to be identical. Heck, it's not even clear that all worshipers of Jupiter believed that other worshipers of Jupiter were worshiping the same deity. It's kind of a silly question at the end of the day.

I have a degree in biblical studies, which involved several classes in ancient Hebrew.

I have several. And have taken many more than 'several' classes in classical Hebrew. Moreover, my work in Hebrew is published by reputable publishing houses. Have you taken any courses in proto-semitic? This question is more than simply a 'let's go to the lexicon' sort of question. It requires an understanding in proto-semitic (we are talking historic linguistics here after all) which in turn requires an understanding of Ugaritic, Phoenecian, Aramaic, Akkadian, etc. (as a brief moment of levity, I think everyone should know that the auto-correct wants to make 'Akkadian' into 'Canadian'). I suspect that when LAC states that virtually all linguists agree that אֵל means 'god' he is saying that virtually all linguists agree that that phoneme אֵל relates or pertains to deity, which, if that is what he is saying then he is absolutely right.

I do not reveal enough to identify who I am personally, so there's no point in asking for more.

As I do the exact same thing this is very fair. Though I did break this rule a little. Oh well.

This is simply false. I'm linking for you an incredibly annoying video (the editing is horrible), but the content comes from Dr. Christine Hayes of Yale University teaching an Intro to the Bible class (she has online videos, but I don't want to search through hours of videos to find where these clips were ripped from). Even in an Intro the Bible course, they cover that El of the bible was derived from El of the Canaanites.

Indeed, that video was pretty annoying. Either way I have seen much worse. :p I don't want to put words into LAC's mouth, but I don't think that this actually addresses what he was saying. Yes, many scholars say that it is entirely possible that the Hebrew god and El are related (see my quote above). But as LAC says, the origin of the word El is that of the generic term for deity. Again, at the risk of putting words in his mouth, el means god. That's just simply what the word means. The Canaanites use the word el to mean their specific god El. Then, one of a few things could have happened. Either, a.) the Hebrews break off of the El cult and combine El with YHWH and eventually become monotheists; b.) the Hebrews simultaneously name their deity El (for the same reasons, i.e. that el means god) or c.) the Hebrews develop a religion based around YHWH worship and incorporate the word el to mean YHWH (either because they identify YHWH with El or because el means god). Anyway you slice it though, it is an oversimplification to say that it "is simply false" to say that el can (and does) mean god. LAC, feel free to correct me on my interpretation of what you have said. Below this is a visual representation of a few of these models.

we wouldn't be teaching the opposite in 100 level classes.

100 level classes reach to the lowest common denominator. They present the absolute basics. She very properly identified the commonalities between El and the Hebrew deity. But in doctoral level classes we have long since realized that more nuance is needed.

For instance, this is an even more complicated chicken egg question. Here are a few models of how it could have happened:

1.png

2.png

4.png

So which comes first and how much cross pollination happened? Well, almost certainly it is a combination of all of it. The work of real history rarely falls neatly or cleanly into models, but you model, which the best I can figure out is as follows:

5.png

This is a very Bible 101 way of looking at it. I'd be hard pressed to say definitively that it is 'incorrect' as certainly there are elements of truth to it (namely that there is a commonality between the Hebrew god and the gods of their neighbors) but it is certainly an oversimplification.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

I'm really amazed, BLTN, at the degree to which you simultaneously assert that El and Yahweh were both worshiped by the proto-Israelites as father and son while also denying that we can know much about the historical Jesus besides the most basic facts (that you can find on Wikipedia). There is far, far more first century evidence for various sayings and deeds and themes of the historical Jesus of Nazareth than there is for any relationship between El and Yahweh. Historical Jesus studies are characterized by an ongoing scholarly conversation characterized by the emerging consensus on Jesus' deeds (who fail to mention his action at the temple), parables (the parable of the sower is almost always accepted), themes (kingdom of God, much?) represented by almost every figure cited here and in the formal debate (except John Dominic Crossan, who has not done any serious scholarship in almost thirty years and is on the fringe of legitimate scholarship). Meanwhile, you dogmatically insist on your particular theory about El and Yahweh as father and son, which I had honestly never heard of in my wide reading of Ancient Near Eastern scholarship, and is one particular historical reconstruction among dozens.

Upvote 0

Targaryen

Scripture,Tradition and Reason
Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
This is simply false. I'm linking for you an incredibly annoying video (the editing is horrible), but the content comes from Dr. Christine Hayes of Yale University teaching an Intro to the Bible class (she has online videos, but I don't want to search through hours of videos to find where these clips were ripped from). Even in an Intro the Bible course, they cover that El of the bible was derived from El of the Canaanites. Hopefully you can survive the horrible editing to hear the actual content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADikz5rAjJU

If nearly every linguist and historian agreed with what you say, we wouldn't be teaching the opposite in 100 level classes.

Considering her field is Talmudic and Midrashic studies and not linguistics or even near eastern religion, I find this interesting but taken with a grain or two of salt.

Her study based on her own field of expertise may lead her into that hypothesis. However, one that is not without her own share of critics. For instance this post from Charles Halton, A PhD Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion and assistant professor of theology from Houston Baptist University:

Whenever one teaches an introductory class an instructor almost always must simplify the material and the luxury of deep discussions upon debated subject matter are rarely possible. However, as we simplify material we must be careful that we do not distort it in the process. As I listened to a portion of Christine Hayes’ first lecture of her Old Testament course at Yale I found myself in strong disagreement with her characterization of ancient Near Eastern religion. For instance:
People regarded, umm, the various natural forces as imbued with divine power and as in some sense as divinities themselves. The earth was a divinity; the sky was a divinity; the water was a divinity–had divine power. In other words the gods were identical with or imminent in the forces of nature (this transcription is around minute 4:50 of the lecture).
Let me say at the outset that Hayes is a specialist in talmudic-midrashic studies and not ancient Near Eastern studies. I have taken one graduate class in rabbinics and if I had to give a lecture in the area of talmudic studies I would hope that people would cut me some slack.  That said, I think that Hayes’ presentation is overly simplistic and misleading.
It is true that if you read Jacobsen’s work on Sumerian religion, The Treasures of Darkness, you might come away with an understanding similar to that of Hayes since Jacobsen does make a big deal over the etymological connections between the god names and the names for sky, water, air, etc. However, he locates this identification of the deities with nature only in the earliest period of Sumerian history and then proposes a kind of evolutionary progression of the religion toward abstract thoughts.
Furthermore, just because a word has the dinger sign (this is a “determinative” that provides a classification of a noun) in front of NA4 or ID2 it doesn’t automatically mean that the writer viewed stones or a river as a divine being. It may indicate that at one time people thought this, but forms and customs are often frozen and their use continues long after they loose their meaning.
Also, you can’t paint with a broad brush and say something like, “All Mesopotamians viewed the gods as natural objects or imminent in them.” I am sure that there were a good crop of atheists within the ancient Near East just as there are in our society today. Not everyone drank the kool-aid of what we think was the consensus religion within ancient societies. I read a humorous incident of this with Tom Palaima during my studies at the University of Texas Classics department in which youths were in very big trouble with the town elders because they went around one night and knocked off all the phalli of the Hermes figures at the major intersections. Do you think these youths had deep respect and fear of Hermes?
All of us are prone to over-simplification in our teaching and I’m sure that I have done it from time to time. However, we need to be aware of this tendency and try to present an accurate, if simplified, picture of the subjects we address.

Upvote 0

BeforeTheFoundation

Jan 20, 2008
✟16,297.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Post 1

Totally understand - I'm in the same boat.

:)

For somebody who wants to keep their real life persona private, you're not doing a very good job. Just given that information, I could probably figure out who you are.

Possibly. Indeed, I already said that I had breached my own general guidelines. I still don't think it would be likely, after all Charlesworth publishes a great deal. You would have to wade through quite a bit and even then, many different things would fit that bill.

No urinating contests here...

Well, you say that, but I was content to say that I had worked with him on a daily basis. You asked for more.

Seemed like a nice thing to know given the level of conversation we're likely to have.

Fair enough.

BLTN emphasis mine said:
I used that quote (which Wikipedia errs on) in response to the Third Quest, not in regards to the idea that nothing can be known about Yeshua. Clearly I argued in favor of a few, very basic things we can know about Yeshua historically. I did so several times in the debate.

The mis-quote itself states that there is no consensus. By using it you are claiming that there is no consensus. Especially since, it not being a real quote there is no context that we can go and look at like we can with the real quote that you think says the same thing (see below for another response to that). That is why I said this: "And to claim that he believes that that [sic] there is no consensus on who the historical Jesus is is completely inaccurate and shows very clearly that BlueLightning has not read any of his books." At which point you say I must not have read the debate.

But that's what the quote says and that is what you have maintained, namely that there is no consensus, beyond what you describe as being a miniscule 7 things. Indeed, in your last post you asked me to provide you with more consensus because you did not believe that it existed.

If you'll look at the context, I was using Wikipedia's erroneous quote (which, let me add actually mirrors the real quote in sentiment, so we're splitting hairs a bit)

I have responded to this already. It does not mirror the real quote in sentiment. I will not repeat my reasons for this again until you respond to them. If you need clarification on what I have said feel free to ask specific questions. But simply reasserting your claim without support will not fly.

in regards to GCC's statements on the Third Quest. Context is everything. In other places, I repeatedly listed historical facts about Yeshua upon which we have consensus.

Right, but those facts, which you treated as the sum total of the concensus, are far from it. (See below)

It is true that I am unfamiliar with most of Dr. Charlesworth's work. But that said, the original point remains. Dr. Charlesworth isn't just a methodist; he's a methodist minister... an ordained individual. In any objective person that should generate a great deal of additional skepticism when reading his works. Dr. Charlesworth has an agenda in reaching others for Jesus, and I'm not sure he could divorce that endeavor from his historical works. I know that I couldn't.

I am really not trying to be a jerk here, but even your terminology is so foreign to the people we are talking about it betrays the unreliability of what you are saying. "an agenda in reaching others for Jesus"? This is a foreign concept here.

Not all Christians believe that 'reaching people for Jesus' or 'saving souls' is the end all or be all of Christianity. For instance, the tradition of the school at which Charlesworth has taught for most of his career places very little emphasis on it. Indeed, for many throughout the centuries, Christianity has been not about saving souls, but rather coming to the truth. Which is why some Christians enter the the academy. Moreover, what is beyond doubt is that many of the historical claims he makes about Jesus would make many Methodists very upset.

Likewise, the fact that you a priori assume that a historian is untrustworthy because of their background is a fallacy. Is a Southern historian not to be trusted on the Civil War because they lost? Is a Northern one not to be trusted because they won? Again, no historian is completely free of bias. (Thanks Post-Modernism! :thumbsup:).

You admitted you are not familiar with his work and yet you (seemingly) have no doubts that it is rife with bias. Historians point out each others biases. It's cutthroat. When they appear they are destroyed.

Does that eliminate all bias? No, but it does mean that the field, as a whole, is fairly clean.

You say you cannot trust me or Charlesworth or the Third Questers because they are biased toward proving some faith claim, and yet you appear to be:

a.) unfamiliar with their work so unqualified to call them on their bias.
b.) biased against anything that validates anything to do with Christianity. As GCC pointed out in the debate, plenty of Third Questers are not Christians, and yet there is still general agreement on who Jesus was (Vermes and Flusser come to mind). Surely you must realize that some things that the faith claims to be true would (even coincidentally) turn out to be historically factual. But you are discounting them a priori because they happen to coincide with what the faith claims. Can you not see that that is a problem?

Summarize for us, please, what he would likely say are historical facts about Yeshua, and note for us in some ways the facts which were derived specifically through the Third Quest.

On one hand, I should really just tell you to go read them. I mean, I'm sorry, but your position is this: a.) You've never read them; b.) you believe there is no consensus.

Why should I do the leg work for you? I mean, I know this isn't true, but it almost feels like you are taking a class in the historical Jesus and you have an assignment to write a paper about the consensus of the Third Quest and instead of going and researching you are asking me to do it.

However, I will bite. I will begin with your bare bones list and expand upon it. However, before I do, it needs to be noted that I am not Dr. Charlesworth. This list is what I believe most Third Questers could generally agree with. Finally, with the exception of a very few explanatory notes, I have not included the arguments for each claim. That would literally make it into the length of several books. But please do not come back and complain that I did not back these up. Keep in mind what you asked for, namely a list of things that would be agreed upon, not an argument for them:

1. Yeshua was a Jew.
  2. He was born sometime between 6 and 4 BCE
  3. He began his work during the Emporership of Tiberius, the procuratorship of Pilate, and tetrarchy Herod Antipas.
  4. He was believed to be, by himself and his followers, to be descended from David (whether he was or not is irrelevant, the historical claim is not that he was descended from David, something that, even bracketing the historical question of whether or not David himself is historical, would not have been possible to prove in the the first century, let alone today. The claim is that he and his followers believed he was)
  5. He spoke Aramaic as his primary language
  6. He was likely literate
  7. He may have spoken some Greek (he was a craftsmen around the time that Greek cities were being built and likely worked there) and he may have been able to speak or possibly read some Hebrew though it would not have been his primary language.
  8. He was probably trained as a tekton (stone mason) and likely worked in the Decopolis which was being built at the time
  9. As a young man he was a follower of the apocalyptic teacher John the Baptist
  10. He was baptized by John, we don't know where or when
  11. He lived and taught primarily in Galilee
  12. He taught primarily on the outskirts of town
  13. His primary home base in his early ministry was Caupernaum
  14. However, he was an itinerant preacher
  15. his journeys took him relatively far afield, probably even into the Gentile regions like the Decapolis
  16. nonetheless, he believed that his message was directed at Israel
  17. however, his message had resonance before his death with people outside of the Jewish community proper
  18. Following in the footsteps of his teacher John he was apocalyptic in style
  19. he had disagreements with other Jewish sects, but specifically not the (main) one of the Gospels which were inserted because of later concerns. His primary foes would not have been the Pharisees with whom he shared a fair amount in common, but rather the Herodians and Saduccees.
  20. His teaching included an expectation for judgment by the Son of Man.
  21. one of his primary teaching tools was the parable or aphorism
  22. he preached a generally new interpretation of the "Kingdom of God" and this was central to his teaching (and one of the reasons he was killed)
  23. He believed that God's reign was only partially realized
  24. However, he believed that in very short order that Kingdom was to be fulfilled (indeed, he would have been quite baffled that we are still having this conversation)
  25. This belief would not have been all that odd, except that he believed that he would somehow be the one to bring in God's reign in fullness.
  26. Some scholars maintain that he believed that he was the messiah. However others do not. The lowest common denominator though is that he certainly believed he was a prophet
  27. He believed that when he marched on Jerusalem God would vindicate him.
  28. He was tried before Pontius Pilate, who, unlike the what the Gospels claim, had no reason to care if this random Jew died.
  29. Unlike some other sects, i.e. the Essenes of the DSS community, Jesus believed that the re-dedication of the Temple after the Abomination of Desecration worked. As such he worshiped at the Temple and believed that it was a good thing
  30. However, he had many disagreements with the Temple authorities.
  31. These were mirrored by the differences he had with the Saduccees and the Herodians which essentially revolved around the treatment of the poor.
  32. When he interpreted Torah he tended to decrease the burden of following the law in a similar way to Hillel.
  33. because of this he was popular in the rural areas but unpopular in the city of Jerusalem
  34. Unlike the Saduccees, but like the Pharisees, Jesus believed in the resurrection of the dead (notice not 'going to heaven' like modern evangelicals, but a real bodily resurrection; coming back to life; and certainly not just saving souls) which would happen at the end times when God judged his people.
  35. he 'performed' deeds that were believed to be miracles by eyewitnesses e.v. exorcisms and healings (n.b. performing such things does not mean that they are effective. But even non-Christian scholars claim that he was doing things that were interpreted as miracles. I don't mean some kind of charlatanism, but more like saying and believing he was casting out demons even though demons aren't real, indeed, even Crossan believes that the people thought he was performing miracles)
  36. one of these was the healing of Bartimeaus which is a particularly salient example as several scholars cite it as one of the prime examples of how oral tradition functions
  37. Simon of Cyrene, father of Rufus assisted in the carrying of Jesus' cross
  38. Of the Seven Last Words of Jesus, the one that has the highest probability is the cry of deriliction
  39. Yeshua taught a version of Judaism that resulted in his death.
  40. This version of Judaism is more than simply being nice to each other like a frightening number of modern Christians claim, it was something that would be offensive to the authorities, i.e. it preached insurrection or at least something that looked like insurrection.
  41. He caused a riot in the Temple on a feast day. Most scholars would claim this is the primary reason he was executed.
  42. He preached the Kingdom of God in opposition to the any theological justification for the Kingdom of Rome
  43. Jesus prayed to God as Abba
  44. He taught his disciples to pray for the coming kingdom in similar terms (a tradition which comes to us in the Lord's Prayer)
  45. Yeshua had disciples.
  46. His disciples were primarily lower class individuals mostly from Galilee (read backwater) like himself
  47. Many were fisherman and they spent much time on and around the water
  48. After his death some of those disciples were persecuted.
  49. While not specifically about Jesus, since you included what happened to the disciples after Jesus' death I will add this: Regardless of whether it actually happened, the disciples believed that Jesus bodily came back from the dead. I know that that will be contentious, but keep in mind what this list is. It is not me attempting to prove these things, merely to state what scholars of the Third Quest believe to be true about the historical Jesus and they uniformly agree that the disciples believed that Jesus had come back from the dead, even though many of the scholars don't believe it happened (even some of the ones claiming to be Christian)
  50. We know at least 8 of the names of the disciples
  51. Jesus gave Peter some kind of leadership
  52. We know Jesus' parents names
  53. Jesus taught subversive teachings about the nature of blessedness
  54. Yeshua was (likely) from Nazareth.

I could add many more to the list. Notably, this does not include any investigation into individual sayings, nor does it include many examples of individual actions that are agreed upon. My plan had been to start with overarching themes (what you see above) then move to sayings, then to acts. But when I got to around 50 or so themes, I decided that was probably enough.
Continued in Post 2

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BeforeTheFoundation

Jan 20, 2008
✟16,297.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Post 2

Well, my understanding is that Nazareth is agreed to be likely because it really doesn't fit Hebrew bible prophecies about the messiah, it wasn't a particularly important, and it even was looked down upon. It is unlikely that writers or myth-makers in that time would fabricate Nazareth as the hometown.

Indeed, this is the prime reason. But it is not universally held to either.

Interestingly enough one of the primary reasons scholars suggest Nazareth is because, contrary to your later claim, there has been a recognition of the historical importance of John. This is what John P. Meier has to say on the subject:

A Marginal Jew p.214-5 said:
...the only place in the NT where the word "Bethlehem" appears outside the Infancy Narratives is John 7:42; and that passage is ambiguous in its intent. The concluding section of John 7 deals with the various reactions of Jewish groups and individuals to Jesus' self-revelation. Verses 40-44 focus on the division of opinion in the "crowd" that has listened to his teaching in the temple. Some think that he is the eschatological prophet (v 40), while others say that he is the Messiah. To this some object in vv 41-42: "The Messiah isn't going to come from Galilee, is he? Doesn't the Scripture say that the Messiah will be descended from David and will come from Bethlehem, the town David came from?"

Meier goes on to state that while traditionally it was popular to harmonize this with the infancy narratives of Matthew and Luke and assume that the irony here is that the reader of the Gospel of John would have 'known' that Jesus did fulfill that prophecy that the crowd was concerned about, that is no longer satisfying because the writer of John does not seem to be familiar with the infancy narratives of Matthew or Luke. The Gospel of John does not seem to recognize the (later) tradition of Jesus coming from Bethlehem and from Chapter 1 on maintains that Jesus is from Nazareth, no matter what scandals that may cause.

Indeed, based on the Johannine assertion, Charlesworth long ago stopped calling Jesus: "Jesus of Nazareth" and began calling him "Jesus from Nazareth" (the preposition can mean either and he argues that when John uses it, he means 'from' as in birthplace).

But this only works with an increased appreciation for the historicity of the Gospel of John; you just didn't know that your claim was based on that.

Okay, expand on number two then. What do we have a pretty firm grasp on in regards to the type of message Yeshua was speaking about. And then add why it is highly likely. We're sort of leaving the debate subject, but I think it's worth it in this case.

See my list above. In fairness I have not provided a reason for why each one is highly likely as doing so would result in a book (indeed, that's kind of the point, they write books about this stuff). However, in general we look at a ton of different criteria, the same criteria that you would use if you were studying Greek literature (indeed, biblical scholars got the idea from classics scholars). The first half of Meier's book is dedicated solely to questions of what are good criteria. But as one basic example, we ask would someone have made this up? So, when the text says this:

Luke 33-34a said:
33Yet today, tomorrow, and the next day I must be on my way, because it is impossible for a prophet to be killed away from Jerusalem.” 34Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it!

What is going on here is that Jesus is saying he will likely be killed (well, yeah, it doesn't take any supernatural knowledge to know that if you make the wrong people mad, they're going to kill you). However, he specifically identifies that he will, like the other prophets, be stoned to death. The Evangelists would have absolutely no reason to make up a prediction that Jesus got wrong so it seems likely that he said it.

See, this is where we get into dangerous "let's prove the bible right" territory. I haven't read the book

No one is trying to prove the bible right. I mean, look, I'm sorry, but I don't go on astrophysics forums and argue to them about their methodologies. That's because I know very little about astrophysics and even less about their methods. 'proving the bible right' is absolutely nobody's goal. It just simply isn't. And if you read the literature you would know that. I mean for goodness sake, you've been arguing with GCC, LAC, and me for quite some time and even in these arguments we have flat out told you that we think that the bible deviates from history in incredibly significant ways. The goal is not 'to prove the bible' the goal is to do history. That's it. And I cannot stand the pretentiousness of saying that you haven't read the work, but you know that it's entered into a "let's prove the bible right" mentality. If you have not read the literature, then you have no authority to speak about it. That's simply the way that it is.

As an example among many, read what Meier has to say on miracles (emphasis mine):

A Marginal Jew p 220 said:
when dealing with ancient history, the historian or exegete can try to discern whether a claim that some miracle occurred goes back to the original figure who supposedly performed (or experienced) the miracle or whether the claim is a later accretion on the oral tradition or even possibly the invention of a later author... What the historian or exegete cannot hope to do by historical research is to resolve what are really philosophical questions (e.g., whether miracles do take place) or theological questions (e.g., whether God has indeed acted in this particular "miracle," thus calling people to faith). Such questions, while important, simply go beyond the realm of history proper.

What he is saying here, in essence, is that historical research cannot and should not ever be an attempt to "prove the bible right." As an example of that, the virgin birth is pretty much one of the most important doctrines to Catholic faith. And yet, Meier, a devout Catholic, is forced to say that it is not even possible for us to definitively say whether or not Jesus and his followers believed that he was born of a virgin, not to mention that there is certainly not enough information to say that it actually happened.

but I do know that the academic consensus about the Gospel of John hasn't budged... it's by far the least trustworthy canon gospel remaining, and the author is almost as gaffe-prone as the author of Matthew.

:doh: Then you clearly have not been following the academic work in the last 50-60 years. To say that it hasn't budged, I mean, wow. That could not possibly be further from the truth. What I said is absolutely true, we have recognized that John is much more historically minded than we previously thought. However, as this is not a class on Johannine research I refuse to give you a complete summary of New Testament research in the last century, which is what it would take.

I will do two things, however. I will give one example of how archaeology has suggested that John knows Jerusalem and I will provide a bibliography of works on John, all of which suggest that he is more historically reliable than we thought. Beyond that, if you refuse to recognize that John research has not changed then I must be forced to conclude that not only have you not read any of the scholars that have already been mentioned, but you haven't read any New Testament scholars at all, which would be a shame seeing as this entire time you have been making some pretty wild claims about the state of NT research.

1.) The Pool at Bethesda

This verse is taken from John 5. It is a healing story near a pool.

John 5:2 said:
Now in Jerusalem by the Sheep Gate there is a pool, called in Hebrew Bethesda, which has five porticoes.

For a long time this verse was seen as absolutely ridiculous. First, nobody else, no other text, no Gospel, not Josephus (though he does mention a similar site, but only as a region in North East Jerusalem), knew about this pool. Second, there was no pool near the Sheep Gate (indeed another archaeological feature that was vindicated for the Gospel is that for a long time scholars didn't think that the Sheep Gate existed at all). Third, no one builds a pool with 5 porticoes. That's simply not how they were built.

Because of this, scholars came to the conclusion that the author of John completely made this entire story up whole-clothe. Moreover it was explained away as yet another example of when the Gospel of John spiritualizes everything. (the five porticoes were explained as being a reference to the five books of Moses).

But that all came crashing down when they actually found the dang blasted thing, next to, as it turns out, the Sheep Gate. With, by the way, five porticoes. Oh, and to really put the nail in the coffin, the Copper Scroll from Qumran (DSS) mentions it as well.

Does that prove that Jesus healed a man there? Certainly not, but it does go a long way in showing that the academic consensus about the Gospel of John has indeed budged.

This is but one (well, one and a half because I mention the Sheep Gate) example. For more, you really must read the literature.

Continued in Post 3

Upvote 0