Rinoth with the dragons
Visit site
✟47,119.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
rgpwd4.jpg

Private thread. No one post please without permission.

May, 1862

The wind rushed through her hair as 12-year-old Madelyn Carter urged her horse to go faster. She loved the feel of the wind in her face and she gave a shout of joy as she slowed down near the lake. Her older brother, James, caught up with her and said with a laugh, “Well, Maddie, I see that you’ve been enjoying your birthday present.” Maddie looked up at James and grinned. “It’s the best present ever, James!” James laughed again and reached over to ruffle Maddie’s hair. “Come on. We should start heading back. I still need to finish getting things together you know.” The smile left Maddie’s face in an instant as she looked up at her older brother. “Do you really have to leave, James? I don’t want anything to happen to you…” James smiled slightly at his little sister and said, “It’s an honor to be able to fight, Maddie. Anyway, the war should be over soon. I’ll be home for your next birthday, alright?” Maddie didn’t answer, so James dismounted and walked over to his sister’s horse. “Madelyn Elizabeth Carter, I promise you that I will be home for your next birthday, alright?” Maddie only stared down at her brother for a few moments and then slowly nodded. “Alright, James,” she finally said softly. James smiled at her and said, “That’s my girl. Now come on. Let’s get home.” With that said, James remounted and then the brother and sister turned and headed for home.

Within a few days, Maddie stood next to her parents as she watched her beloved big brother head off to join the Union Army. She held fast to the promise that she would see him again within a year, but she couldn’t help the tears that slowly rolled down her cheeks. Without a word to her parents, Maddie stepped off of the porch and ran around to the barn, to the comfort of her horse. Maddie’s parents just watched her run off, and then Daniel turned to his wife and said, “James is a strong lad. He’ll be just fine.” Jenny just continued to look in the direction her son had gone and said softly, “He’s only 18. He shouldn’t have to fight.”

----

Thomas just stood at the gate, staring out across the countryside. The war had been going on for just over a year now, and Thomas couldn’t wait to be able to fight for himself. His older brother had joined the Confederate Army shortly after the war had started, but Thomas had been too young at the time to join as well. Smiling to himself, he realized that in just a few days time he would be able to take his place among the brave soldiers of the Confederate Army. He was so lost in his thoughts that he didn’t hear his mother come up behind him. “Thomas? Come on inside. There are still a few more things that need to be done.” Thomas turned around and smiled at his mother, his face shining with the excitement of going off to war and possibly seeing his brother again! “I think I have just about everything done, Mother. I should actually head off to the encampment.” His mother smiled sadly and then hugged her boy close. “Just come back to me alive, Thomas. I couldn’t bear it if I lost both of my sons to this war.” Ben returned the hug and said, “I’ll come back, Mother. I promise.” With that said, he headed back to the house and grabbed his bag and said goodbye to his father before heading out to the road, toward the waiting Confederate Army. His mother just watched him leave with tears in her eyes, just wondering if she would ever see either of her sons again in this world.

July, 1863

“…It’s been more than a year since I left to join the Union Army. I honestly thought that this war would be over by then, but evidently, I was wrong. Mother, Father, please tell Maddie how sorry I am to have missed her birthday. I will do all I can to be at home next year. I pray to God every night that this war will be over soon so that I can return home and be a proper older brother to her. Love, James.” James looked up from the piece of parchment he was writing on as artillery fire sounded somewhere nearby. Quickly folding and sealing the parchment, he wrote his home address onto it and then quickly bade the post rider to deliver it as soon as possible. The rider nodded and then quickly galloped away as James turned and headed back toward Cemetery Ridge, where the Union soldiers were encamped. Once he returned to his unit, he sank down next to his pack and pulled out another sheet of parchment and started to write a letter to Madelyn. She’s probably sore at me for missing her birthday…especially after I promised her that I would be home! James thought forlornly as he stared down at the parchment.

It had been battle after battle since James had left his hometown of Boston, Massachusetts. His family actually lived in the countryside on the outskirts of the city, but he still said that he lived in Boston. James looked up as artillery fire started again. It would only be a matter of time until his division was called to the front lines to join in the battle. Oh God, let me survive this war. I just want to return to my family safe and sound… James prayed silently. The sun was nearing the horizon and it was getting darker out. Setting the parchment down, James curled up next to his pack in an attempt to get some sleep despite the fact that the sounds of artillery still sounded every so often.

----

Things were pretty much the same for Thomas. In the past year, he had written several letters home, but hadn’t received very many due to the fact that he was almost constantly on the move. Now, he was sitting in his encampment on Seminary Ridge, just staring out across the meadow toward Cemetery Ridge where the Union soldiers were camped. As it got darker, he could see the small light of campfires from the Union soldiers as well as feel the heat from the campfires behind his back. Tearing his gaze away from the opposite ridge, Thomas turned to get some dinner before his comrades ate it all. Once they were done with their supper, the soldiers turned in for the night to try to get some sleep.

None of the soldiers in both camps got much sleep though since the artillery started up again before dawn on the morning of July 3. The fighting was intense and finally ceased sometime around mid-morning, only to pick up again in a few hours. The stench of death was everywhere around Gettysburg and a lot of the soldiers ended up retching due to the smell. Thomas looked out from his spot in line, waiting for the command to charge. He fidgeted slightly with anticipation and when the order came, he ran toward Cemetery Ridge, hoping to dislodge some of the Union soldiers from their spots. As he ran, he suddenly felt something tear across his arm and the force of it sent him spinning to the ground. Clutching his arm, he stayed down in the hope that the enemy would think him to be dead. His plan seemed to work and after a little while, Thomas shakily got to his feet and headed back toward his camp. Going straight to the medic, Thomas sat down as the medic cut away the sleeve of his uniform and peered at the wound.

“You’re lucky. It’s just a flesh wound. You’ll be just fine.” The medic told Thomas as he bandaged it up. Thomas nodded and said, “Thank you Doctor. I’m glad to hear that it isn’t more serious.” By the time his arm was bandaged, it was late afternoon and the battle was over. Looking out toward the enemy, Thomas saw with a sinking feeling that the Union had won this battle. His faith in the Confederacy was slowly being eaten away as he realized just how many of his comrades had died on that field.

----

James was terrified. There was no other way to put it. When the Confederates attacked, his division was called to fight and they joined the front lines. Some of the Confederates got close enough to force them to fight hand-to-hand a few times as well. At one point, some of the Union soldiers went over the wall to meet the Confederates in hand-to-hand combat, and James was one of those soldiers. As he neared the Confederates, yelling the entire way, he suddenly felt something rip into his chest and arms. He managed to take a few more steps before his knees buckled and he fell to the ground. Seering pain was all he knew at the moment, and he just stared up at the sky.

----

The battle was over. The Union won, and Thomas didn’t know how to feel about that. Maybe they were right and the Confederacy was wrong, but Thomas just didn’t know. Walking about the battlefield that evening, searching for any survivors, he was dismayed at all of the blue and gray uniforms that dotted the meadow. They’re no different from us… he realized as he just looked around. Not paying attention to where he was going, he nearly tripped over a young Union soldier. Looking down, Thomas felt pity for this young soldier, who seemed to be about his same age. Suddenly it looked like the soldiers eyelids fluttered and Thomas knelt down, only to gasp in shock at the fact that he was still alive.

“Thomas? Did you find a survivor?” one of Thomas’ comrades called out. Thomas looked up and said, “Yes, I did. He’s wounded badly, but still alive.” The Confederate ran over to Thomas and exclaimed, “A Union! He’ll make a wonderful prisoner once he’s all better.” He then ran off in search of the medic who would be able to take care of the Union soldier. Thomas watched his comrade run off and then returned his attention to the soldier in front of him. He gently reached down felt for a pulse. It was faint, but Thomas could feel the pulsing under his fingers. The soldier’s eyes fluttered open and he focused on Thomas’ face and then took in the uniform.

“A…a Confed…Confederate,” the soldier said weakly. Thomas shushed him and said, “Don’t talk. We’re getting a medic for you now.” Not heeding Thomas’ command, the soldier slowly reached up and into a pocket, pulling out a folded sheet of parchment. “My…sister. Get this to…to my sister. Tell her that…that I’m sorry. Tell her that…that James said he was…was sorry.” The pain hit James again at the moment, and his hand fell to the ground, still holding the parchment. It was the last thing he knew and his world blackened. With shaking hands, Thomas picked up the parchment and looked at the name written on the front. “Madelyn Carter. Boston, Massachusetts.” He read softly before putting the parchment into his pocket. The medic would be arriving soon, but Thomas didn’t know what fate would befall this young Union soldier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ellesar

biomedical engineer-to-be and LOTR fanatic
Jul 2, 2004
Rinoth with the dragons
Visit site
✟47,119.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Summer, 1866

It has been over a year since the war ended. Almost three years since we last heard from James. An officer from the Union Army came to our house in about September, 1863 saying that James was killed in the Battle of Gettysburg, but I refuse to believe it. I just know in my heart that James is still alive, but no one believes me, and just about everyone, even my parents, believe that I'm harbouring grief for far too long. They just don't understand it, and I long ago gave up trying to explain what my heart was trying to tell me. I can only write what I believe here, where I'm certain that no one but me will ever read this..."

Putting down her pencil, Maddie re-read what she just wrote into her diary and then closed the book and replaced it into its hiding spot. Even though she believed that James was still alive, she couldn't help but feel a little bitter about that fact that he had missed her last three birthdays, not to mention all of the other holidays. Christmas just never felt like Christmas without James at the table with them. Frowning slightly, Maddie stood up and headed downstairs. Finding her mother in the kitchen, Maddie sat down at the table and just watched her mother work for a few moments. Sensing someone behind her, Jenny turned and smiled at her daughter.

"Why the long face, Maddie?" Jenny asked with a smile. Maddie just looked at her mother and said, "I miss James, Mama. I just KNOW that he's still alive somewhere waiting for me to come find him." Jenny gave an exasperated sigh and set down the bread dough she had been kneading. "Madelyn Elizabeth Carter..." Maddie inwardly winced at the use of her full name. "...how many times do we have to tell you that James is not coming back? You heard it straight from the officer! James is dead, Madelyn. You won't see him again until you get to heaven." Maddie just sat there silently. She knew how futile it would be to argue, so she just remained silent. After a few moments, she stood up and headed for the front door. "I'm going to go ride. I'll be back in time for supper." she said softly before leaving. Jenny sighed and then returned to her work, muttering about the foolishness of harbouring grief for that long.

Once outside, Maddie headed straight for the barn, trying to avoid her father since she knew that she would only get the same reaction from him that she got from her mother. She successfully was able to get into the barn without her father noticing and then went to the safety of her horse's stall. For a few moments, she just stroked her horse's nose, remembering when she had gotten the mare...it had been a present from James for her twelfth birthday, and she would never forget it. Wrapping her arms around her mare's neck, Maddie rested her cheek against the horse's neck and cried softly. Where are you, James? Why haven't you tried to come home? Why haven't you let us know that you're still alive? Maddie thought as she just let the tears flow.

----

Benjamin Lancaster was sitting on the fence that surrounded their small corral, just waiting for his sister. "Come on, Abby! You know that we promised that we'd go riding with Maddie this afternoon!" His mother came to the door of their house and called, "Ben! Where are you two going?" Turning his gaze toward the house, Ben jumped off of the fence and strode over to the house, saying, "Abby and I promised to go riding with Maddie. We both have all of our chores done. Is it alright?" His mother smiled and nodded before saying, "Of course it is. Just let me pack an afternoon snack for you all and then go on and have fun." Ben grinned and said, "Thanks Mama." He then returned to his perch on the fence as he waited for his little sister to appear.

Upvote 0

qwertykate88

Rose in the Garden
Sep 12, 2007
Somewhere
✟15,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thomas stood on the front porch, staring out across the plantation with his arms resting on the railing. Everything had changed since the War had ended and he had returned home; things around his home were quiet now- too quiet. The glory of war was not all that he had thought it would be, indeed it had been was much worse than he and his childhood friends had made it out to be in their make-believe games.

Just a few weeks after heading out to the battle field as part of the Confederate Army, he had crossed paths with his brother Robert. It had been a bitter sweet reunion as several hours later, a skirmish had taken place and Robert was killed in the line of duty; the duty he had of protecting his family and everything he held close, something Thomas hadn't understood until that moment.

He had sobbed over his brother's lifeless body until his commander came and dragged him to his feet, informing him that he had to carry on what his brother had left behind. The letter he had sent to his mother to inform her of her oldest son's death had broken her heart and she was never the same again.

"Thomas?"

His mother's quiet voice had shattered his current thought process and he turned to face her, "Yes?" he asked, blinking.

"We're having company tonight," his mother informed him, wringing her fingers in an almost nervous state.

He stared. She hadn't wanted to have company ever since Robert had died, morphing almost into a recluse, eating dinner in silence, and retiring to bed early every night. He wondered what the sudden change was about.

"Well... put on a clean shirt," she said before heading back into the house.

Thomas sighed, the shirt he was wearing wasn't dirty. He pushed away from the railing and went into the house, tromping up the stairs and wondering what sort of company to be expecting. He opened the door to his room and went over to the dresser to find a clean shirt anyway, rummaging through several stained white shirts to find a darker grey one. He stopped short in his search when he caught site of his old uniform buried underneath of his clothes. Looking behind him to make sure his mother wasn't anywhere around, he pulled the worn cloth out from underneath of the pile.

Something inside the one pockets crackled softly as he unfolded the jacket and he frowned. He stuck two fingers down inside the pocket and retrieved a piece of paper. Puzzled, he turned it over and his eyes widened briefly. It was a long forgotten envelope that had been given to him by the young Union soldier he had found, bloodied out on the battlefield.

"Madelyn Carter. Boston, Massachusetts," he murmured to himself, fingering the wrinkled note.

Upvote 0

Ellesar

Jul 2, 2004
Rinoth with the dragons
Visit site
✟47,119.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
After a few moment's of just crying into her horse's neck, Maddie sniffed and took a deep breath before stepping away. "Sorry about that, Shadow." Maddie said softly as she stroked her mare's nose. Wiping her eyes with the back of her hand, Maddie took another deep breath and then went to get Shadow's tack. Carefully carrying it back to the stall, Maddie saddled her horse and soon she was leading the mare out of the stall and into the barnyard. Daniel looked up from his work, and noticed that Maddie had been crying, but figured that it had something to do with James, so he didn't mention it. "Where are you off to?" he asked, coming to lean against the fence. Maddie didn't answer right away and said after a few moments, "Ben, Abby, and I are going to ride for a while. I'll be back in time for supper." Daniel nodded and said, "Okay then. Just stay safe, Maddie." Maddie nodded and then mounted and headed off toward Ben and Abby's house.

Once she arrived, she saw Ben sitting on the fence and angled toward him. "Hey Ben. Where's Abby?" Maddie asked, looking around for her friend. Ben's gaze was still on the house as he replied, "Probably still in the house. ABBY! Come on, Maddie's here and waiting for us!" He finally turned his gaze toward Maddie and noticed her red and puffy eyes. "You alright, Maddie?" he asked with concern, wondering if she had gotten hurt somehow. Maddie looked down and said, "I'm fine, Ben." Ben reached out and grabbed Shadow's bridle and gently pulled the horse, and thus Maddie, closer. "Maddie, look at me. I know when something's wrong, and something is definitely wrong. What is it?"

Maddie was loathe to answer, but she finally sighed and said, "Just remembering, I guess. I KNOW that James isn't dead, Ben. My heart is telling me that he's still alive." Ben released the bridle with a sigh and said, "Don't start this again, Maddie. You've known for almost three years that James is dead. The officer came and told you himself! Why can't you just let go of the past and allow James to rest in peace?"

Maddie looked away and was about to answer when a clatter came from the house, essentially breaking off the conversation where it was. Ben hopped off of the fence and ran toward the house. "Mama? Abby? Everything alright in there?" His mother appeared in the doorway and smiled, saying, "Yes, Ben. Everything's fine. Just knocked over a chair is all." She handed Ben three sacks with some snacks for everyone in them, waved to Maddie, and then disappeared back into the house. Ben just stood there bewildered for a few moments and then called out, "Abby! Come ON already!"

Upvote 0

qwertykate88

Rose in the Garden
Sep 12, 2007
Somewhere
✟15,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Abby tripped out through the front door and glared playfully at her brother. "I heard you the first time," she said and stuck her tongue out at him. She hurried down the stairs, glad her skirts were shorter than her mother's since she enjoyed running and riding more than walking with a lady-like air.

"Hi, Maddie!" she greeted her friend cheerfully, ignoring the saddened expression for the moment since her brother was around. She turned to look at Ben, "Well? Are we going riding or not?" she said, crossing her arms and tapping her foot in mock impatience on the ground.

Thomas sat on the bed and stared at the note in his hand, letting his eyes follow the curves of the handwriting. He had let himself forget what the young northerner had begged him to do, genuinely not ever expecting to do it, but now that the note was in his hand again he felt suddenly guilty.

He wondered how it had managed to stay in his pocket all this time and still manage to be whole. He flipped it over, looking at the flap of the envelope, wondering if it would be a sin to read what was inside.

"Thomas?" his mother called up the stairs.

Thomas quickly slid the note underneath his pillows and grabbed the clean shirt that was next to him. "Yes, Mother?" he called back, quickly changing shirts before she came up the stairs to check on him.

"They'll be here soon," she said, "Are you almost ready?"

He ducked in front of the mirror and used his fingers to brush his hair neatly into place. "Almost," he replied.

"Well, hurry up."

Thomas looked back at the pillows, the thought of the undelivered note residing there making him squirm slightly. He would decide what to do with it after dinner, he thought with a decisive nod.

Upvote 0

Ellesar

Jul 2, 2004
Rinoth with the dragons
Visit site
✟47,119.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Maddie smiled at her friends and said, "Hey Abby." She then looked toward Ben and echoed Abby's question, "Well Ben? Are we? Or do I have to go off on my own?" Ben raised an eyebrow at the girls and walked toward them. "Well...if it wasn't for Miss Slowpoke here, we would've been out in the countryside already!" He stuck his tongue out at his sister and then tossed one of the sacks he was holding to Abby and handed another one to Maddie so that he wouldn't accidentally spook Shadow. Ben carried the last sack with him into the barn, and soon Maddie could hear him banging things around. She shook her head slightly and raised an eyebrow as she looked toward the barn doors. It's a wonder that he doesn't spook the horses with all the noise he's making... she thought with a slight smile. Maddie then looked down at the sack she was holding and opened it to see what Mrs. Lancaster had packed for them.

Maddie had closed the sack after seeing what was inside, and was softly humming to herself when Ben's voice suddenly came from the barn. "Abby!" Ben yelled from the barn. "I'll saddle your horse for you! Why don't you try to talk some sense into Maddie. She's started up with that nonsense about James again." Maddie just looked in shock at the barn doors as tears welled up in her eyes again. She blushed as she looked down and squeezed her eyes shut in an attempt to keep the tears where they belonged...in her eyes. I shouldn't have said anything... Maybe I should've just stayed in my room today... Maddie thought as she considered just heading back home instead of spending the afternoon with her friends.

Upvote 0

qwertykate88

Rose in the Garden
Sep 12, 2007
Somewhere
✟15,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Abby's mouth dropped open and she was about ready to start a heated argument with her brother to defend her friend, but then an idea came to her. She closed her mouth and smirked.

"You mean the nonsense about him being dead? Yes, I quite agree, Ben. Maddie, you mustn't talk such nonsense about your brother," she said, bobbing her head up and down with a solemn expression on her round face. She looked up at Maddie and grinned, wondering what Ben had to say about that.

Thomas sat at the dinner table, bored out of his mind. How his mother had managed to invite the Jamison family over for supper, he would never know. An aristocratic family who looked as stiff as they acted, the Jamison's main priority was to make 'acquaintances' with other families who were in the same league as themselves. Fredrick Jamison owned one of the biggest plantation in Raleigh and had suffered one of the biggest losses after the War had ended. They had been acquainted with Thomas' parents long before the War was even whispered about and Thomas had never liked them then either; always sticking their noses in other people's business where it didn't belong. His father used to say that one day, their noses would end up being stuck somewhere that they didn't belong.

Thomas tried to pay attention to the conversation but found his mind wandering to the letter upstairs, hidden under his pillow. He poked his fork at the vegetables on his plate, wondering if he could excuse himself and get upstairs fast enough to evade any questions.

"You need to find this boy a wife," Rubella Jamison said suddenly, jerking a very startled Thomas out of his thought and almost causing him to flip a piece of broccoli onto the floor with his fork.

His mother smiled politely, "He'll find one when he's ready," she answered, still flushing slightly from the comment.

"Honestly, he's almost what- 24?"

"22," Thomas corrected, taking a much needed drink of water. He refrained from saying what he was really thinking and hoped she would do the same.

Rubella sniffed and clucked her tongue in a disapproving manner. "Much too old," she said, shaking her head. "Why, you're still living at home! With your mother! You should be out making a living and supporting her," she said, waving her fork around in swirling gestures of superiority.

Thomas set his glass back down with more of a clatter than he had meant to make. He spoke up before his mother could intervene, "This is my home. As I am the only son remaining thus, the house is rightfully mine. I take care of this plantation on my own and support my mother," he said coldly.

"Not much to take care of if you ask me," Fredrick chimed in with his gravelly voice, whilst spearing a piece of meat.

"I didn't," Thomas replied. He dropped his napkin down on the table and quickly got up from the table without excusing himself, making his way back up the stairs to his room and shutting the door behind him.

"Well," Rubella sniffed. Fredrick just grunted and continued eating.

Upvote 0

Ellesar

Jul 2, 2004
Rinoth with the dragons
Visit site
✟47,119.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Maddie had kept her eyes shut in an attempt to keep the tears from falling, so she didn't see Abby's grin, only heard what she said, and it was enough to almost cause her to fall off of Shadow. Wondering how her friend could betray her like that, Maddie's eyes flew open and she looked over at Abby...only to see Abby grinning at her. Confusion settled over Maddie as she tried to process what Abby had said. Suddenly it clicked in her mind and a smile slowly spread across her features. Stifling a giggle, Maddie said, "Oh I agree with you, Abby. The nonsense about James being dead is just that. Nonsense. And I would never say such nonsense about my brother." Maddie then dissolved into giggles, which effectively eliminated any bad feelings she had been harbouring.

Ben only growled in reply and started to search for something. Picking up the bag of chicken feed, he walked to the entrance of the barn and remained in the shadows as he threw the bag of feed at the girls. The bag landed at their feet, and feed flew everywhere. Soon the chickens were flocking to the girls, and Maddie was having a deuce of a time keeping Shadow calm with so many squawking chickens underfoot. "Woah, Shadow! You're okay girl. They can't hurt you." Maddie crooned to her horse, gently stroking and patting her neck in an attempt to keep the mare calm. "Nice way to act your age, BENJAMIN." Maddie called into the barn, where she was certain she could hear laughter.

Ben emerged from the barn a few moments later leading two horses and just grinned at Maddie as he handed the reins to one of the horses to Abby. "What? Can't take a joke, MADELYN?" Ben taunted. Maddie only rolled her eyes and then turned and started for the road. "Come on, Abby. Maybe we should leave your pesky brother at home." Ben had already mounted and was approaching Maddie. "I don't think so. Either I go with you or neither of you go. And don't think that I wouldn't stop you. All it would take is one word to your father, and then you would be prohibited from going." Maddie only sent a mock glare at Ben and then shifted her gaze toward Abby. "Is he always this much of a jerk?" she asked teasingly, since she knew that he was only looking out for them.

Upvote 0

qwertykate88

Rose in the Garden
Sep 12, 2007
Somewhere
✟15,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Abby had also dissolved into giggles with her friend, which quickly turned into screeching as the chicken feed flew into the air, only adding to poor Shadow's confusion when the screeching chickens came along to go with the screeching Abby.

Abby brushed the feed out of her hair and frowned at her brother, taking the reigns haughtily from Ben's grip.

"No, sometimes he's much worse," she replied to Maddie and mounted her own horse with great dignity, pointing her nose in the air and sniffing indignantly.

"I think we should leave him behind, we can just tell your father that Ben was being a great big bully and we had to get away from him," she said, sticking her tongue out at her brother and then proceeding to pout teasingly.

Thomas flopped down on his bed, removing the letter from it's hideaway and tucking the pillow under his chin. He stared at the address for awhile once more and finally knew what he had to do. He would take the letter to Madelyn Carter of Boston, Massachusetts just like the young soldier had wanted him to do. Even if the War was over, he could still do something noble for the family- whether it was his own or the Carter's.

Upvote 0

Ellesar

Jul 2, 2004
Rinoth with the dragons
Visit site
✟47,119.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Oh yeah? And what do you think Papa would say when I tell him just why I'm not with my 15 year old sister?" Ben countered, as he looked over at Abby with a raised eyebrow. "Sorry little sister, but you're stuck with me. Besides, you need a big, strong man to be there to protect you." Ben finished, puffing out his chest. Maddie laughed and then pretended to look around. "Do you see any big, strong men around here, Abby? All I see is scrawny Ben." She then dissolved into giggles once more as Ben rolled his eyes. "I'll get you for that, Maddie." he said with mock seriousness, as the mischievous twinkle in his eye gave away the fact that he was teasing.

----

"Two and a half years. That's the best estimate I have as to how long I've been in this hellhole controlled by the Confederates. The medics who cared for me were shocked that I even lasted this long due to the injuries I sustained at Gettysburg. Do they even care for us? Or are they just waiting for us to die so that they can go on with their lives?" James stopped writing as a man near him started to cough. It was like that day in and day out. Men were getting sick, and no one seemed to care about it. James licked his lips in an attempt to get some moisture on them, but he was plagued by a neverending thirst that only got worse due to the fact that water could be seen and heard just outside of their prison. Trying to quell the shaking of his hand, James returned to the entry he was making in his journal.

"Is the war even over? If so, are we too heavily guarded (or are we kept a secret too well?) to be rescued? Does anyone even know where we are located or are they just assuming us to be dead? There are just too many unanswered questions for my mind to go through, and the fact that I am constantly hungry and thirsty isn't helping any. The Confederates barely give us enough to eat and drink, but there's nothing we can do about it, even though there's a river surrounding us. If any of us take even one step past the set boundary, we're shot. It happened on the day I arrived. One poor soul got so thirsty, that it overcame his desire to live, and he went running for the river. Next thing we knew, a shot rang out, and he was no longer with us. I continue to pray to God each night for deliverance. I don't know how much longer I can last..."

James stopped writing because his hands were shaking too badly. Replacing the journal with his meager belongings, James lay down with his uniform jacket and journal under his head, and just stared up through the trees to what could be seen of the sky. His thoughts wandered to his family, and he wondered how they were holding up, especially Maddie. Maddie's 15 now, I think. She's growing up and I'm not there to watch over her... James thought with despair. Do they even know I'm still alive? Or have they taken me for dead long ago? James sighed softly and closed his eyes as he tried to get unpleasant thoughts from his mind. One thought in particular kept on nagging him though... That Confederate soldier who helped me at Gettysburg... I gave him a letter to deliver to my sister. Did he deliver it, or did he just disregard it? James frowned slightly as this thought ran through his mind, refusing to go away.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

qwertykate88

Rose in the Garden
Sep 12, 2007
Somewhere
✟15,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Abby let out a very unladylike guffaw and doubled over in laughter at Ben’s attempt at a mature and manly posture. She could have sworn that her horse sighed in annoyance at the childish behavior taking place around him. She sat up straight and jutted out her chin in defiance, her eyes twinkling though with mischief.

“Just big strong horses, no big strong men,” she answered Maddie with a grin at Ben, and then suddenly spurred her horse forward without waiting for anyone.

Thomas crept back downstairs after the Jamison’s had gone home. He hoped that he hadn’t greatly offended his mother with his callus attitude towards her guests. He thought about what he was going to tell her about his decision to leave for the North as he took a chunk of bread out of the basket on the kitchen counter.

To travel so far away from home just to deliver a letter that was overdue by about three years was ridiculous, even to him, but it was just something that he felt he had to do. The solider wasn’t even dead, he remembered as he chewed on his snack, thoughtfully. He was being held in a prison, though Thomas didn’t know which one or where it was; the younger Northerner was still alive the last he knew and that was all he knew.

He wondered if that should be something he included telling the Carter family along with delivering the note. Although, the solider could be dead by now and it would be cruel to give them false hope after they had been told their son was killed, and had believed it for over two years now.

Upvote 0

Ellesar

Jul 2, 2004
Rinoth with the dragons
Visit site
✟47,119.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Maddie quickly followed Abby while Ben just stood there for a few moments in shock, just watching the girls disappear. Suddenly it dawned on him that the girls were LEAVING him behind, and he quickly ran for his horse and mounted before taking off after the girls. "Hey! Wait for me!" he called as he tried to catch up. Maddie only laughed and then suddenly shifted directions and headed across unfarmed fields, heading for the countryside. "C'mon, Abby!" she called to her friend, knowing that Ben would automatically follow them wherever they went.

Upvote 0

qwertykate88

Rose in the Garden
Sep 12, 2007
Somewhere
✟15,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Abby looked behind her, smirking at how far behind Ben was but knew he would catch up soon. She change directions with Maddie and then spurred her horse into a fast canter, leaning forward on its neck with the wind rustling through her hair. "Come on, slow poke," she hollered behind her shoulder at her brother. She rode up next to Maddie, giggling, and grinned at her friend.

After a moment, her grin softened slightly. "I believe you, Maddie. About James," she said, pulling on the reigns to slow her horse back down to a trot.

Upvote 0

Ellesar

Jul 2, 2004
Rinoth with the dragons
Visit site
✟47,119.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Maddie looked over at Abby and smiled. "Thanks Abby. I think you're the only one who believes me... Everyone else is convinced that James is dead...but if he were, I'd feel it in my heart." she said softly. Ben grumbled when the girls changed directions, but continued to follow them nonetheless. After a few minutes, he finally caught up with them and then started to scold them. "You two know better than to leave me behind! Abby, you know that Papa doesn't want you going off by yourself anywhere because it's too dangerous!" He then continued to scold them for a few moments longer.

Upvote 0

qwertykate88

Rose in the Garden
Sep 12, 2007
Somewhere
✟15,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Abby smiled at Maddie in return, and then rolled her eyes as she turned to look at Ben. "You could see me the whole time I was up here. Besides, if you weren't so slow, you could have been riding with us," she said and then stuck her tongue out at her brother. Something in the fields made her horse sneeze and she lurched sideways for a moment before regaining her balance and then frowned at the animal, wondering if it had done that on purpose.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ellesar

Jul 2, 2004
Rinoth with the dragons
Visit site
✟47,119.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"I was not slow!" Ben retorted. "You two just galloped off without waiting for me!" When Abby suddenly lurched to the side, Ben rode up close to his sister and asked, "You alright, Abby?" Maddie was just looking around the countryside and then asked, "So where should we go? We have until supper to just wander around." Ben only shrugged in reply, not sure where they should go.

Upvote 0

qwertykate88

Rose in the Garden
Sep 12, 2007
Somewhere
✟15,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Cantering," Abby said with a definite nod of her head, staring hard at her brother. "Because, of course, galloping could be dangerous, Benjamin," she said, using his full name. "You wouldn't want me to get hurt now, would you?" she asked with a smirk, and then spurred her horse to move forward again without waiting for an answer.

She looked over at Maddie and grinned, chirping out an, "I'm fine!" along with a giggle. She looked at the long stretch of land in front of her and squinted slightly in the just starting to set sunlight. "I think we should ride that way for a bit," she suggested, pointing out towards her left.

Upvote 0

Ellesar

Jul 2, 2004
Rinoth with the dragons
Visit site
✟47,119.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Maddie laughed and followed after Abby. The nice thing about summer is that it stayed light out later, so she was allowed to stay out later as well. Ben followed along, grumbling to himself. "We can't stay out too much longer, Abby!" he called to his sister. "You know how Mama and Papa get if we stay out after dark!" Maddie glanced back at Ben and said, "Oh don't be such a worrywart, Ben. We'll get back before it's dark out!" Ben only raised an eyebrow at Maddie and continued grumbling to himself about the impossibility of girls.

Upvote 0

qwertykate88

Rose in the Garden
Sep 12, 2007
Somewhere
✟15,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Abby sighed and rolled her eyes at her brother’s worrying insistence; not responding, but just letting Maddie handle him since she seemed to have more patience than Abby. Ben’s pessimism was starting to grate on Abby's nerves and she gave her horse a good nudge in the sides to get him going once more. The animal obliged, heading forward again, but only going at a retained speed almost as if he knew all the rules that Abby seemed to be ignoring.

Once they were a good bit ahead of Ben, Abby looked over at Maddie, studying her friend with pursed lips. “Maddie? Do you think James remembers your birthday every year?” she asked suddenly.

~ Anderson Plantation – The Next Day ~

Thomas stood next to his bed, packing his knapsack with various items he would need for his trip. He had spoken to his mother the previous night about the soldier, the letter, and the request the soldier had made of him to deliver the letter to Madelyn Carter. She didn’t understand why he would do something so ridiculous and, quite frankly, he didn’t understand it completely himself.

“I just have to, Mama,” he had said simply with a shrug.

She had only looked at him with a confused expression, clasping her hands in front of her. “Why? What do you think you will gain from this- this quest?” she asked, stressing the last word as if it were a completely mental idea.

Thomas pressed his lips together in thought and sat down at the table. “Do you remember when you got the letter saying that Robert was dead?” he asked quietly.

A look of pain flickered across her eyes. “Yes,” she whispered.

“What if someone came to our door right this moment, telling us that Robert was still alive, still holding onto hope that we would find him?” he said, looking up at his mother. “Wouldn’t that mean more to us than anything in the world?” he asked.

She simply nodded, understanding a little better.

Thomas had reached out and taken her hand in his. “That’s why I have to go,” he said softly.Now, Thomas took the letter from his desk, followed the lines of the handwriting once more before slipping it carefully into the inside pocket of his bag. Once he had packed a few extra changes of clothing and some money to get him through his travels, he tromped down the stairs with his bag slung around his shoulder.

His mother stood at the bottom of the staircase, a package in her hand. She smiled a bit, but he could tell she was sad and even scared to let him go. “I packed you some food,” she informed him, holding out the parcel in her hand to him.

“Don’t eat it all in one sitting,” she added.

Thomas took the package and placed it securely in his knapsack. “Thank you, Mother,” he said, smiling. The two of them went outside to the barn and were silent as he saddled and bridled his horse. When he had finished he turned to her and was not surprised to see tears streaming down his mother’s cheeks.

He sighed. “I’ll be fine,” he said, pulling her small frame into his arms.

“You better be,” she said, her hand gripping his shirt sleeve.

He pulled back and looked down into her face. “I promise. I’ll come back in one piece,” he said seriously and then added a slight smile. He kissed her forehead before mounting his horse, gripping the reins tightly, and then rode off into the rising sunlight, wondering what he was getting himself into.

Upvote 0

Ellesar

Jul 2, 2004
Rinoth with the dragons
Visit site
✟47,119.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Maddie was quiet for a few moments before quietly saying, "I hope so, Abby. Every year, I hold a little celebration on James' birthday, but I have to keep it private. The first year I even suggested it, Mama got so upset that Papa told me to never suggest it again." Tears came to her eyes and she reached up to wipe them away. "You can't tell anyone, Abby. Not even Ben. Ben would probably just laugh and say it's foolishness..." She looked around and noticed that it was visibly starting to get darker. "We should head back now. I promised Mama and Papa that I would be home for supper, and I'd rather not they forbid me to leave the house because I came home late." She turned Shadow around and started to head back toward the road. Ben saw Maddie turn and start back, and he called out, "Hey Maddie, did you manage to talk some sense into Abby?" Maddie only stuck her tongue out at Ben and said, "YOU'RE the one who needs to find some sense." Ben only shook his head and turned back as well.

Upvote 0