Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Friends,

We read in Titus 1:5...

....appoint elders in every city as I directed you, 6 namely, if any man is above reproach, the husband of one wife, having children who believe, not accused of dissipation or rebellion.

In some parts of the globe this is taken seriously and a Pastor or Elder will step down from ministry if a family member ceases to believe or a child is in rebellion.

I assume what is meant is members of the household still under the roof, and not sons and daughters who have left home, married etc.

These days because Church Appointments are often Career positions the issue is never raised.

Yet we are told one should first prove one's suitability for office in the home.

What effect does this have on a church when this is ignored?

Appreciate feedback on this...

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Friends,

....appoint elders in every city as I directed you, 6 namely, if any man is above reproach, the husband of one wife, having children who believe, not accused of dissipation or rebellion.

In some parts of the globe this is taken seriously and a Pastor or Elder will step down from ministry if a family member ceases to believe or a child is in rebellion.

I assume what is meant is members of the household still under the roof, and not sons and daughters who have left home, married etc.

These days because Church Appointments are often Career positions the issue is never raised.

Yet we are told one should first prove one's suitability for office in the home.

Interesting, this is a focus of our church and the organization that oversees us. I have 3 kids who all actively participate and serve in ministry (cheerfully I might add), same with our oversight. Yet we have had more criticism and accusations because of it than one might expect.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,628.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
... continued.... What are you referring to that you think or it is written that Paul required it ?

This was my opening OP

Upvote 0

carp614

Apr 21, 2016
Home
✟29,620.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was in a church that failed some time after we left. We participated in ministry there. My wife taught Sunday School and I did a tour as Sunday School Director. Here's the thing. I really wasn't Saved at the time. The music minister was living in sin with a woman and had for decades. The chief elder's sons were saved, but one had spent decades as a drug addict. He was clean when we started going to church there. He got married, then divorced pretty quickly. all of that to say this scripture was ignored. I believe it was ignored out of a sense of desperation to keep things together.

There were many problems at the church, but I believe ignoring this scripture played a significant role in its eventual closing.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,628.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Very interesting...

I had a similar experience at the last church I attended.

I couldn't figure out why when I attended, I would just feel like weeping for no reason. This went on for several months.

We were quite involved as a family.

Then I received a prophetic word that the Pastor's son was sleeping with a lady in the church.

I said nothing and prayed for a whole 12 months before bringing the matter to him direct in writing.

The word indicated that the whole church was spiritually vulnerable because he had failed to address the matter.

The word also said that He would close the door of the church if the matter was not addressed.

The word was not accepted and our family had to leave.

The church shrunk from 150 to 15.

Others had had similar words and in time the truth came out.

• Informative
Reactions: *LILAC
Upvote 0