Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
1 - you want rid of what the situation is doing to you and you want a new situation albeit an all the more realistic one

2 - if a believer you trust in God's will to do you good

3 - otherwise proceed straight to this stage anyway. Unseen power helps you gain confidence that the burden of grot will be lifted, perhaps gradually if it is major, if you keep an eye on the situation in a mentality of assurance

4 - make a mental note to not act out

5 - don't approach those who harmed you unless (with caution & discretion) it was minor

6 - it is right to plan to never deal with them or not on anything like the same terms. Safety does not equal unforgiveness.

Forgiveness is essentially letting yourself off the hook more than the other party. (I'm single BTW)

• Useful
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What exactly is the definition of forgiveness? I want to forgive, but I don’t exactly know the actual meaning of it. Does it mean I let go of wanting revenge? Does it mean I do right by them even through they have done wrong to me?

Forgiving someone is not holding their trespass against them. A hard but important thing to do for forgiveness brings love alive, the very love we need to get over the offence against us. Forgiving means we can heal from the hurt we have suffered.

So we forgive to be free from feelings of hate or the need for revenge. Having said that, the person who sinned against us might by toxic all around and you may have to keep your distance for he or she will keep on hurting you. However usually this is not the case and we forgive because we want Christ to forgive us our sins and because who want to walk the right way to deal with pain and not go the wrong way where pain only multiplies.

Peace.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
What exactly is the definition of forgiveness? I want to forgive, but I don’t exactly know the actual meaning of it. Does it mean I let go of wanting revenge? Does it mean I do right by them even through they have done wrong to me?

This is the Definition, every usage in the New Testament is the same.

FORGIVENESS:
G859
ἄφεσις
aphesis
af'-es-is
From G863; freedom; (figuratively) pardon: - deliverance, forgiveness, liberty, remission.

G863
ἀφίημι
aphiēmi
af-ee'-ay-mee
(to send; an intensive form of εἶμι eimi (to go)); to send forth, in various applications: - cry, forgive, forsake, lay aside, leave, let (alone, be, go, have), omit, put (send) away, remit, suffer, yield up.

Personally, I always use another word in conjunction with Forgiveness based upon a verse from Psalms, it places the word into a different light when we understand how God Forgives us, if we use this word as an example we should do the same, where Forgiveness doesn't give you the full answer to your question, while this word I believe will round it out to a fuller understanding of just what Forgiveness is and entails.

The word is FORGET.

In the New Testament.

FORGET:
G1950
ἐπιλανθάνομαι
epilanthanomai
ep-ee-lan-than'-om-ahee
to lose out of mind; by implication to neglect: - (be) forget (-ful of).

In the Old Testament, we read how God Forgives us.

Psa 103:10-14
10) He hath not dealt with us after our sins; nor rewarded us according to our iniquities.
11) For as the heaven is high above the earth, so great is his mercy toward them that fear him.
12) As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.
13) Like as a father pitieth his children, so the LORD pitieth them that fear him.
14) For he knoweth our frame; he remembereth that we are dust.

Old Testament

FORGET:
H7911
שָׁכֵחַ שָׁכַח
shâkach shâkêach
shaw-kakh', shaw-kay'-akh
A primitive root; to mislay, that is, to be oblivious of, from want of memory or attention: - X at all, (cause to) forget.

While this word is not used in Psa. 103 it is used 52 times in 49 verses,

About 99% of those times, it is Defined as above.

Whenever I have needed to forgive someone a serious wrong, I think of both Forgiveness and Forgetting.

I believe that if we don't forget the wrong, we are still harboring malice in our heart toward that person, it keeps coming back to our mind, and we get angry.

Jesus gave us understanding on Forgiveness.
Mat 6:14,15
14) For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:
15) But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

My understanding of Forgiving and Forgetting is, if we do not forget, we have not fully Forgiven,

Therefore, we have only truly Forgiven, when we have in fact Forgotten, I for one want to Forget the wrong as soon as I possibly can, so my prayers are not hindered because of Un-Forgiveness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
JIMINZ's light on this on forgetting is huge. I see the kind of forgetting is the creating of a new mindset and a fresh relationship. Depending greatly on the circumstances, the other party might be out of one's life or on the contrary one might be able to deal with them with better assurance.

In some major cases of trauma and series of traumas a lack of debriefing (depending who promised debriefing and whether we were right to look to them) could seem to complicate the route to the forgetting part, even though one wanted to do the complete thing.

It's probably wrong to look for debriefing but one should probably just plain ask God to get one through it then He might provide some companionship or not, as He sees one needs in tough times.

So when I say "Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive them that trespass against us" I mean I want a new relation to the others, i.e it can mean I will be out of their lives. It could take a lot of convincing they would be out of mine.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
To forgive is to release someone from a debt they owe us. Sin is a debt that we owe God. Often, we owe man as well. When someone offends us, we want to exact payment. "He will pay for this!" For example.

Forgiveness is in God's nature so He requires us to forgive as He does. Since we are not God, that is not possible. There is a key to living in forgiveness. The following link will help.

Can you forgive from your heart? - Christian Life Frankston

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Read Luke 17:3+4 for Jesus's instructions on how we are to forgive.

What do you do. You hand the situation, what happened, what was said, how you were affected, how you felt then and feel now over to God. Asking him to deal with it all.
Then you start praying for those who hurt you, praying that God will bless them, praying intelligently for there good.

In handing every aspect of the situation over to God, you give up your anger, resentment and reasons for those feelings and in praying for them to show to God you are serious about wanting closure.

Upvote 0

SirHash

Jan 28, 2019
Pearland
✟24,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
My favorite cliche on this topic is that holding a grudge is like swallowing the poison that you intend towards the offender.
We are called to let go, to turn the other cheek. And not just seven times but (I forget the math here) 70 x 7.
As with everything, the standard is Jesus. It's so humbling to think of all that He's forgiven me of; infinitely more so when I think of all the petty grudges I've kept.
God speed.

Upvote 0

sunshineforJesus

is so in love with God
Feb 19, 2014
Sterling Ct
✟716,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Forgiveness is essential if you want to get past the bitterness and hurt of strained
relationships and if you dont forgive others,How can you expect Jesus to forgive you?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums