Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
A brief but excellent article was recently published by a learned Dominican friar that I think is worth a read.

A few thoughts: I was deeply moved by His Holiness' recent teaching (rather strongly emphasized) that, in the absence of the sacrament of confession, one can go to God directly for the forgiveness of sins with great confidence and trust in His mercy. He references the Catechism which stresses the role of perfect contrition with the resolution to go to confession as soon as possible. The good friar fleshes this out in the article in more detail.

For me personally, this time without sacraments has been particularly difficult. I suspect it is quite the same or similar with most Catholics. Yet, two things have happened from this that will bear much fruit I think. Firstly, we are less likely after all this is over (God-willing soon!) to take the sacraments for granted. Secondly, this is a time for the Church and the faithful to develop a deeper sense of how God is not bound by sacramental availability to accomplish His merciful will for us. This is, of course, not to discount the importance of the sacraments. Far from it! It moves us to contemplate the great mercy and graciousness of God.

May we all be given a double portion of special graces during this time of spiritual drought, especially if we have need of sacramental pardon or healing!

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MOD HAT ON

I am going to go ahead and head this off for following posts: This is the Catholic forum, only posts made in fellowship and solidarity are to be made. In other words: If you are not Catholic please do not reply with assertions that are against the Catholic Church's teachings or beliefs.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For me personally, this time without sacraments has been particularly difficult. I suspect it is quite the same or similar with most Catholics. Yet, two things have happened from this that will bear much fruit I think. Firstly, we are less likely after all this is over (God-willing soon!) to take the sacraments for granted. Secondly, this is a time for the Church and the faithful to develop a deeper sense of how God is not bound by sacramental availability to accomplish His merciful will for us. This is, of course, not to discount the importance of the sacraments. Far from it! It moves us to contemplate the great mercy and graciousness of God.

Praying for you, I know it must be terribly difficult as the Eucharist is a vital part of life. :)

Upvote 0

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Praying for you, I know it must be terribly difficult as the Eucharist is a vital part of life. :)

I will say it very, very difficult. I can't watch Mass without bursting into tears now. :(

Upvote 0