South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
How will you know if you are completely forgiven? I realize that all of my fears come from having OCD, including the fear of other people and what they think. Would that be a sin? Even though I believe I have been forgiven, I continue to sin. Why is that? I don't think that I "played around with God" or his "mercy" but my point is, do Christians sin daily? Is there a possibility that a believer doesn't sin in a day? What I mean is, if I were to listen to ungodly music one day like I did last night and shunned what God is saying. I was so wrapped up in the music that I did not fall asleep until way late in the morning. I realized that today I regretted listening to the music and I asked for forgiveness, but what if I messed up? How about if I have messed up over and over again? How do I truly repent? How do I stop sinning and is it possible for a Christian to stop sinning?

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟321,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
How will you know if you are completely forgiven? I realize that all of my fears come from having OCD, including the fear of other people and what they think. Would that be a sin? Even though I believe I have been forgiven, I continue to sin. Why is that? I don't think that I "played around with God" or his "mercy" but my point is, do Christians sin daily? Is there a possibility that a believer doesn't sin in a day? What I mean is, if I were to listen to ungodly music one day like I did last night and shunned what God is saying. I was so wrapped up in the music that I did not fall asleep until way late in the morning. I realized that today I regretted listening to the music and I asked for forgiveness, but what if I messed up? How about if I have messed up over and over again? How do I truly repent? How do I stop sinning and is it possible for a Christian to stop sinning?

Can you explain what you mean by "ungodly music"?

• Agree
Reactions: GodsGrace101
Upvote 0

Benjamin Calvary

Persistent - testing the system.
Oct 9, 2018
;) wouldn't you like to know.
Visit site
✟10,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Ask God to give you a repentant heart, as David:

Mat_7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
Luk_11:9 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.

Psa_51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.

Notice:

Jas_1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

Joh_3:27 John answered and said, A man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven.

Then receive it by faith:

Joh_6:37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

Are you like the man at the pool of Bethesda? Read what Jesus asked the man:

Joh 5:2 Now there is at Jerusalem by the sheep market a pool, which is called in the Hebrew tongue Bethesda, having five porches.
Joh 5:3 In these lay a great multitude of impotent folk, of blind, halt, withered, waiting for the moving of the water.
Joh 5:4 For an angel went down at a certain season into the pool, and troubled the water: whosoever then first after the troubling of the water stepped in was made whole of whatsoever disease he had.
Joh 5:5 And a certain man was there, which had an infirmity thirty and eight years.
Joh 5:6 When Jesus saw him lie, and knew that he had been now a long time in that case, he saith unto him, Wilt thou be made whole?

What is your answer to that question. "Yes." or doubts about Jesus' ability to do that which needs to be done. How much power does Jesus have?

Mat_28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

What does Paul say?

Php_4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Where and when is strength provided?

Rom 5:6 For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.

Rev 12:10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.
Rev 12:11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

Believe:

Luk_1:37 For with God nothing shall be impossible.

Completely forgiven comes by faith. Do you believe the Word spoken unto us by the Father?

Everything is already provided for in Christ Jesus. Look:

Joh 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

Pray over that text, asking God for wisdom, for therein is the true Gospel in practicality.

Php_4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

Then as you come to believe the Word spoken, then act upon that faith, and do what is required, and then remember the last prescription of Jesus to the man:

Joh_5:14 Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Okay. Ungodly music would be considered anything with cursing, degradation of others, and racial and ethnic slurs for instance.
That's not ungodly music....
That's unhuman music.
Why would you listen to that stuff???

OTOH, everyone sins even though they shouldn't.
If we're sorry and ask forgiveness, God forgives.
Some change overnight and some take time.
Stay close to God,,,respect your fellow man, respect yourself and trust Jesus will help you in your journey.

It's good to know that you understand your OCD is the problem.

Upvote 0

Anna Therese

May 18, 2018
USA
✟19,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate

When I receive the Sacrament of Penance and hear the priest's words of absolution, I know I am forgiven. Jesus gives priests the power to forgive sins (John 20:21-23). However, in order to receive the sacrament worthily, one must resolve never to commit the sin again. Avoiding the occasion of sin, praying, especially the Rosary, etc. are powerful ways to keep oneself from falling into mortal sin. For example, if music causes one to sin then get rid of the music.

"And if thy right eye scandalize thee, pluck it out and cast it from thee. For it is expedient for thee that one of thy members should perish, rather than that thy whole body be cast into hell." -Matt. 5:29

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟321,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Okay. Ungodly music would be considered anything with cursing, degradation of others, and racial and ethnic slurs for instance.

I don't think we can say categorically that listening to music, even very bad music, is in itself a sin. It may however be a sin "enabler", in that it might lead someone to sin, or at least encourage it.

If you are listening to music and later regretting it, you should probably stop listening to it. Try listening to Christian chants on Ancient Faith Radio. It will help put you in a more peaceful mood.

Reactions: Lik3
Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I receive the Sacrament of Penance and hear the priest's words of absolution, I know I am forgiven. Jesus gives priests the power to forgive sins (John 20:21-23). However, in order to receive the sacrament worthily, one must resolve never to commit the sin again. Avoiding the occasion of sin, praying, especially the Rosary, etc. are powerful ways to keep oneself from falling into mortal sin. For example, if music causes one to sin then get rid of the music.

"And if thy right eye scandalize thee, pluck it out and cast it from thee. For it is expedient for thee that one of thy members should perish, rather than that thy whole body be cast into hell." -Matt. 5:29
Hi AT,
Catholicism does not believe the priest forgives sins. Only God can forgive sin. The priest declares that the sin has been forgiven if the right conditions exist, as you've stated. He then gives absolution, thus makes no the declaration.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think we can say categorically that listening to music, even very bad music, is in itself a sin. It may however be a sin "enabler", in that it might lead someone to sin, or at least encourage it.

If you are listening to music and later regretting it, you should probably stop listening to it. Try listening to Christian chants on Ancient Faith Radio. It will help put you in a more peaceful mood.
That to Christian chants is quite a leap!

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

When Peter asked Jesus about how many times he should forgive his neighbor, Jesus replied "seventy times seven", which is the term in those days for infinity. This means that we are to forgive each other as many times as that person needs forgiving.

If Jesus expected Peter, (and us by implication) to forgive his brother infinite number of times even for the same offence, then God being much greater than Peter or us, then His forgiveness of us is infinite as well. He knows that we are never going to get complete victory over our sinful habit patterns. When we received Christ, we started living in the Spirit. That came to us by sheer mercy and grace and not through anything we have done or could do in the future. It was Christ's righteousness that has been given to us as a free gift. This has made us totally acceptable to God no matter what we can do in ourselves.

But it is a little more difficult to walk in the Spirit. We stumble, fall and fail every time. 1 John 1:9 is our lifesaver. All God wants us to do is to agree with Him that the sinful act that we do is actually sinful. Even if we do and confess the same sin over and over again 1000 times a day, He will forgive us over and over again and keep on cleansing us from anything unacceptable to Him.

Knowing that the guilt, shame, and punishment for sin has been totally removed from us, we have greater boldness and courage to talk to God about our shortcoming and failures and the skeletons in our closets. We can talk about things to God that we would never mention to any other living person, because His love and forgiveness washes it all away.

If the Bible says, "Come let us reason together. Though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow", then we either believe it or we don't. If you continue wallowing around wondering whether God forgives you or not, then it means that you are not believing what God is saying to you in His Word. Maybe you need to just sit down and read the New Testament and see what it says about you, and God's willingness to forgive and forget your sins.

Of course we do what we can to keep our bodies in subjection so that we maintain our testimony to the world around us. And then we trust the Holy Spirit within us for the rest. The fact that you are concerned about these things, shows that the Holy Spirit is working within you to develop sanctification in you.

As far as listening to music, it is not what goes into you, but what comes out of you, that is, your mouth and your behaviour toward others.

There is only one unforgivable sin - total rejection of Christ. When you stand before God one day, that's what you will be judged on - Did you accept or reject Christ as your Saviour? The good or evil deeds of people will be merely symptoms of acceptance or rejection of Christ and will not matter in the Judgment. If you have accepted Christ, your name will be in the Book of Life. There will be no record of any of your sins, shortcomings or failures, and even if you ask God about them, He will say, "I don't remember them." That's what He says in the Bible, "Your sins and iniquities I will remember no more."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anna Therese

May 18, 2018
USA
✟19,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi AT,
Catholicism does not believe the priest forgives sins. Only God can forgive sin. The priest declares that the sin has been forgiven if the right conditions exist, as you've stated. He then gives absolution, thus makes no the declaration.

No, the priest does not declare sins forgiven. The priest actually forgives (or does not forgive) sins by the authority given to him by Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

Question: "Do we sin daily? Is it possible to go an entire day without sinning?"

Answer:
While there is not a Bible verse that specifically states we commit a sinful act each day, we do have verses that remind us that we have inherited the capacity to sin at any moment. "Sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned" (Romans 5:12). "Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me" (Psalm 51:5). In addition, we have commands that we know we never keep, much less on a daily basis. For instance, who can claim to love God with all his heart, mind and soul every moment of every day? No one. Yet, that is the greatest commandment (Matthew 22:36-38). Failing to love God completely at all times is a daily sin for all Christians.

We also have a verse that warns us of the deceitfulness of our old sinful nature, which in a sense is warning us of the potential, if not the likelihood, of daily sin. "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?" (Jeremiah 17:9). Even the apostle Paul was frustrated with his own battle against indwelling sin. "For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members" (Romans 7:22-23). This capacity to sin led him to cry in desperation, "What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?" (Romans 7:24).

Solomon knew full well that he and all men not only have the potential for sin, but that we all exercise that capacity routinely. As he stated in his prayer at the dedication of the temple, "If they sin against you—for there is no one who does not sin…" (1 Kings 8:46). And Solomon spoke of it again in the book of Ecclesiastes: "Surely there is not a righteous man on earth who does good and never sins" (Ecclesiastes 7:20). Again, while these verses do not unequivocally indicate daily sin, they certainly warn us against the pride of saying at any moment that we have no sin.

The good news is that we will not have to strive forever against daily sin. One day we will be in heaven with our Savior and will be freed from the presence and power of sin, just as we have already been freed from its penalty.

www.gotquestions.org/sin-daily.html

• Agree
Reactions: Tolworth John
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,559.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How will you know if you are completely forgiven?

Because of your trust/faith in God, that he will keep his word and because Jesus rose from the dead to show that he had dealt with sin, defeated death etc.

Reactions: AvgJoe
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat

You don't "know", you are supposed to have faith by believing in God's promises.

People that have real faith do sin. We sin because we are sinners, we are not sinners because we sin. It is not possible for a Christian to be completely sinless in this life, though it is always possible for us to become more loving, forgiving people.

Listening to "ungodly" music is not a sin per se, although neglecting other responsibilities could be.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GodsGrace101

Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes. I'm usually all about baby steps but in this case one extreme to the other might be the way to go.
Sometimes God does provide for us to take giant leaps.
I like rock music...don't find anything wrong with it.
Actually, I like all types of music.
Just keep me away from bad words and attitudes.

Whatever the O.P. could handle....
I just think we should have more respect for each other...

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, the priest does not declare sins forgiven. The priest actually forgives (or does not forgive) sins by the authority given to him by Jesus Christ.
This is interesting.
I hate to quote the CCC because it's one of the most confusing books I've ever read...

If you read paragraphs 1441 and 1449 it clearly states that only God can forgive sin. However, if you read other paragraphs it states the priest forgives sin because he has received the power from Jesus, handed down from the Apostles.

So, which is it?

A couple of priests I know have explained this to me like this:
THEY do not forgive the sin...God forgives the sin. They decide if the penitent is sorry and if the sin can be declared forgiven.
IOW; the priest is acting in the place of God.

This is why Protestants don't believe it's necessary to have a man declare them forgiven since it's God that forgives. However, John 20:23 does seem clear and I'm not very dogmatic about this.

1441 Only God forgives sins. Since he is the Son of God, Jesus says of himself, "The Son of man has authority on earth to forgive sins" and exercises this divine power: "Your sins are forgiven." Further, by virtue of his divine authority he gives this power to men to exercise in his name.

1449 The formula of absolution used in the Latin Church expresses the essential elements of this sacrament: the Father of mercies is the source of all forgiveness. He effects the reconciliation of sinners through the Passover of his Son and the gift of his Spirit, through the prayer and ministry of the Church:
God, the Father of mercies,
through the death and the resurrection of his Son
has reconciled the world to himself
and sent the Holy Spirit among us
for the forgiveness of sins;
through the ministry of the Church
may God give you pardon and peace,
and I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.

absolve
əbˈzɒlv/
verb
  1. declare (someone) free from guilt, obligation, or punishment.
    "the pardon absolved them of any crimes"
    sinonimi: exonerate, discharge, acquit, exculpate, vindicate; Altro

• (in church use) give absolution for (a sin).
      "she asked the bishop to absolve her sins"

Upvote 0

Anna Therese

May 18, 2018
USA
✟19,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
This is interesting.
I hate to quote the CCC because it's one of the most confusing books I've ever read...

If you read paragraphs 1441 and 1449 it clearly states that only God can forgive sin. However, if you read other paragraphs it states the priest forgives sin because he has received the power from Jesus, handed down from the Apostles.

So, which is it?

A couple of priests I know have explained this to me like this:
THEY do not forgive the sin...God forgives the sin. They decide if the penitent is sorry and if the sin can be declared forgiven.
IOW; the priest is acting in the place of God.

This is why Protestants don't believe it's necessary to have a man declare them forgiven since it's God that forgives. However, John 20:23 does seem clear and I'm not very dogmatic about this.

John 20:21-23- “Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so I send you. And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost: Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.”

The words of Our Lord in John 20:23 naturally and plainly signify the power given to men to forgive (or not forgive) sins. In order to determine which sins to forgive and which sins to retain (not forgive) the confessions of sin must be heard. The Sacrament of Penance was instituted by Jesus Christ as is clearly expressed in the above verse.

The Catholic Church teaches that the sacramental absolution of the priest is not an empty service of pronouncing and declaring the penitent's sins to be forgiven. Rather, the absolution of the priest is a judicial act.

Upvote 0

Benjamin Calvary

Persistent - testing the system.
Oct 9, 2018
;) wouldn't you like to know.
Visit site
✟10,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I like rock music...don't find anything wrong with it.
You are now capable of being better informed, therefore, please educate yourself sister, and be no longer unknowing upon the subject:

Inside Rock Music - PDF

The full Christian Berdahl series:

Distraction Dilemma 1 - Overture: Our Personal Journey

Distraction Dilemma 2 - Opus: Identifying the Mind's Mark

Distraction Dilemma 3 - Motive: Music Mechanics & Body Language

Distraction Dilemma 4 - 1st Movement: Music History 450 AD-1969

Distraction Dilemma 5 - 2nd Movement: Music History 1970-1990

Distraction Dilemma 6 - 3rd Movement: Music History 1991-2011

Distraction Dilemma 7 - Crescendo: Contemporary Christian Music 1

Distraction Dilemma 8 - Crescendo: Contemporary Christian Music 2

Distraction Dilemma 9 - Serenade: Music in Worship

Distraction Dilemma 10 - The 4 Cs of Christianity

Full Frank Garlock series:

Christian Music or Satan's Music (1 of 7)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UPwDCli0UU&index=5&list=PL33AC3FD924EC20D5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwexlkI4aGw&list=PL33AC3FD924EC20D5&index=6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYrT7u2ijdg&index=7&list=PL33AC3FD924EC20D5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJQjpIEEhvc&list=PL33AC3FD924EC20D5&index=8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXzJj2qtyqg&index=9&list=PL33AC3FD924EC20D5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmGH1vWwXvw&list=PL33AC3FD924EC20D5&index=10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POSwiLirxqM&list=PL33AC3FD924EC20D5&index=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioo2r5LriRI&list=PL33AC3FD924EC20D5&index=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bP83fpwC54&index=3&list=PL33AC3FD924EC20D5

https://vimeo.com/31342068

https://vimeo.com/31357291

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnl7Rgwa08w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5prRWoVdN4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSByCxGXXeM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et40kj2mDg4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsohgBRbhac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nqkTQ0Et4Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-UNitDy9sY

• Informative
Reactions: Natsumi Lam
Upvote 0

justbyfaith

justified sinner
May 19, 2017
Southern California
✟3,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
It is possible to stop committing specific sins.

However the prayer of salvation includes the understanding that my sin is ever before me (Psalms 51:3) and that therefore my only hope is not in my own righteousness but in His redeeming sacrifice.

Upvote 0