Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I often see various explanations of how Jesus redeems us from our sins. Often, these explain that the debt of these sins is paid; often, they explain that the debt of these sins is forgiven.

Which is it?

The terms are mutually exclusive. If a debt has been forgiven, there's nothing to pay, and you can't pay it. If a debt has been paid, there's nothing to forgive. To forgive a debt is to discard it without receiving payment.

So which is it?

mike1reynolds

Knight Errant
Apr 29, 2006
Running Springs (2 hours from LA)
✟4,442.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Since Jesus paid so dearly for our sins I wouldn’t exactly call it free forgiveness, no matter what it looks like from the point of view of people whose sins were partially ameliorated. With that kind of sacrifice clearly He paid the debt.

Upvote 0

BigChrisfilm

Contributor
Feb 17, 2006
Portsmouth Ohio
Visit site
✟15,453.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
seebs said:
I often see various explanations of how Jesus redeems us from our sins. Often, these explain that the debt of these sins is paid; often, they explain that the debt of these sins is forgiven.

Which is it?

The terms are mutually exclusive. If a debt has been forgiven, there's nothing to pay, and you can't pay it. If a debt has been paid, there's nothing to forgive. To forgive a debt is to discard it without receiving payment.

So which is it?

It is both. That is why you can't figure it out, because you don't realize it is both, not one or the other.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

a_ntv

Ens Liturgicum
Apr 21, 2006
✟35,618.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
seebs said:

Neee

The fact that Jesus redeemed us from sin is simply one result of His Incarnation, Cross and Risen (=Redenction), and not the more important result.

His Redemtion is by far more

He destroyed the Death
more:
He opened a link between man and God
more:
He allowed us to be called Sons of God
more:
He restored us in the situation of Adam and Eve
more:
He fullfilled the work of the Father in creating us 'in His image and in His likeness'

These are more complete explanations

Upvote 0

PETE_

Count as lost, every moment not spent loving God
Jun 11, 2006
✟212,561.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Jesus paid the debt for our sin. We no longer owe the price for our sin. When we do sin,as Christians, we should ask for forgiveness. Since the penalty for sin has been paid we are asking for forgiveness for not following His commands.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.