Forget about climate change, loss of soil and insects will doom us first.

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,607.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I wasn't aware that atheists also had doomsday prophecies.
Yup.

doomsday_clockXKCD-e1466799743553.png

(I think someone forgot to tell those scientists you don't "spring forward" until 2 a.m.)

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,607.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I wasn't aware that atheists also had doomsday prophecies.
Not a doomsday prophecy. It’s entirely possible to judge how much fertile soil is available, and that has been done. Now it is possible for a scientific breakthrough to comealong to improve fertility and prolong the lifespan, but 90% of agricultural science research at the moment is on maximising yealds, for maximum profit, whilst increasing soil deterioration.

This is observable science.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,607.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Just 'ecological Armageddon' ... right? :scratch:
It’s a projection based on observed evidence. If you have a finite amount of something, say fertile soil, and you are using it up at an ever increasing rate to feed an ever increasing population, at some point it will run out.

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The irony being that I had to walk over a bed of moth caterpillars just to get here and be told that the flying insect population is dwindling. In a few days, I'll be driving through many miles of California farmland, where my car always comes out covered in bugs, and every bridge is coated in the adobe dwellings of those bug-eating birds. Yeah, those farms are really putting a dent in the bug population.

But, if you wish me to be afraid, then you've got a long line to wait in. I've got a crazy fat boy with a nuke. After that is a hole in a cancer-causing layer of gas that no one knows how it got there in the first place. After that is a swiftly depleting jungle in South America that seems to be forever running out of trees, without ever really running out. Then, I've got predictions from my childhood that summer temperatures would be 118 degrees Fahrenheit by now (my thermometer must be broken). There's some dude claiming that the end of the world came last September. Then there was Harold Camping. Then there was the 1998 prediction, and the Mayans, and the turn of the first millennium.

And you want me to worry about bugs.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It’s a projection based on observed evidence. If you have a finite amount of something, say fertile soil, and you are using it up at an ever increasing rate to feed an ever increasing population, at some point it will run out.
Well China has four times our population, so they'll go before we do.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, just people using their brains. Sorta like driving slower when it's snowing.
Interesting how we're accused of "doomsday prophecies," but when academia gets involved, it gets plutoed to "ecological Armageddon," which is somehow not a doomsday prediction.

Science at its best.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Interesting how we're accused of "doomsday prophecies," but when academia gets involved, it gets plutoed to "ecological Armageddon," which is somehow not a doomsday prediction.

Science at its best.
Interesting that's not at all what happened.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And you want me to worry about bugs.
When I was a kid, I made the mistake of going to see The Hellstrom Chronicle, which is basically the exact opposite of this thread.

If everything scientists say would have come to pass, earth would look like the moon by now.

Evidently the teachings of Thomas Malthus has somehow gone silent in the halls of academia.

That way they can scare the Y2K out of us with "ecological disasters".

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,607.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
When I was a kid, I made the mistake of going to see The Hellstrom Chronicle, which is basically the exact opposite of this thread.

If everything scientists say would have come to pass, earth would look like the moon by now.

Evidently the teachings of Thomas Malthus has somehow gone silent in the halls of academia.

That way they can scare the Y2K out of us with "ecological disasters".
Malthus is taught in regard to the history of science. The thing is he never took account of developments in technology and agriculture.

The ecological disasters are being observed in the here and now.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The ecological disasters are being observed in the here and now.
And according to Malthus, nature will find a way to compensate for any 'ecological Armageddon' she throws at herself.

Have you ever met someone who cuts himself?

Your mother nature is like that person.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Not a doomsday prophecy. It’s entirely possible to judge how much fertile soil is available, and that has been done. Now it is possible for a scientific breakthrough to comealong to improve fertility and prolong the lifespan, but 90% of agricultural science research at the moment is on maximising yealds, for maximum profit, whilst increasing soil deterioration.

This is observable science.
I'm not surprised in the least that your typical Christian would be so confused with mythical biblical prophecies, and solid science.

Meh.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Insectageddon: farming is more catastrophic than climate breakdown | George Monbiot
Warning of 'ecological Armageddon' after dramatic plunge in insect numbers
With less than 60 years of harvests left in what remains of fertile soil, and a dramatic 75% decline in insects in some of the best protected nature reserves in Germany pointing towards the end of habitable life on earth.

Doommongering? Just stating the observed facts.

I don't know about the insects. But the soil part is a sheer nonsense and an ignorant lie.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,607.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Fertile soil WILL NOT be significantly reduced in human era. I am not even sure it would be reduced or not.
Evidence, the science says otherwise. Denying it in capital letters is not a valid argument.

• Agree
Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0