Redac

Jul 16, 2007
California
✟167,609.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Have you ever seen a movie/tv show about Jesus? Robert Powell (brown haired, blue eyed Brit), Max von Sydow (brown haired, blue eyed swede), Brian Deacon (brown haired, blue eyed Brit), Jim Cavaziel (brown haired, blue eyed American).
Oh no, a culture portrayed Jesus as looking like one of them.

chinese-jesus-21.jpg

What a travesty.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Oh no, a culture portrayed Jesus as looking like one of them.

chinese-jesus-21.jpg

What a travesty.
Ho boy. Is this mainstream western art? I'm well aware that non-white cultures picture Jesus as being a part of their own culture, hence a black Jesus, Asian Jesus, Slavic Jesus. However, what does the western Europe culture describe Jesus as? A light haired, light eyed, non-Jew.

Why is this image any more a "travesty" than a Swedish, brunette, blue eyed man playing Jesus?

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
That's just silly. How is my chain being jerked when I personally saw "statues" of the Sacred Heart, prints, paintings all showing this very Europeanised Jesus? The church we attended where the photo was taken was an American Methodist church. My son was approximately 4yo, so that would be 12 years ago. And no, I'm not reproducing that photo here (privacy and all that).
I was asking about the artwork since you seem to be ignoring that question.......

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I was asking about the artwork since you seem to be ignoring that question.......
I wouldn't know how "old" the artwork is, but it can hardly be "BC" as that would be ... before Christ.

I forgot Ted Neeley. Another brown haired/blonde, blue eyed Jesus. Probably one of my favorites actually. Love Jesus Christ Superstar.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
You go read some history then come back here and we can talk.....

I have been a student of history for a great many years. When our attempted genocide of the Indian Nations fell short we moved to forced assimilation. That didn't work either. What does seem to work is to respectfully accept people at face value and say "can we work together as friends?"

Upvote 0

Redac

Jul 16, 2007
California
✟167,609.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Ho boy. Is this mainstream western art?
It's a 19th century Chinese painting.

Here's Ethiopian Jesus from a century or two before that:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/72/7d/9c/727d9cc004eb3f183ec21604267f8389.jpg

I'm well aware that non-white cultures picture Jesus as being a part of their own culture, hence a black Jesus, Asian Jesus, Slavic Jesus. However, what does the western Europe culture describe Jesus as? A light haired, light eyed, non-Jew.
Because there are plenty of light-haired, light-eyed people in western Europe. Different groups of people across the world have often depicted Jesus as being a member of that culture, be it Aryan Jesus or Chinesus or whoever.

(I also like how you include Slavs as "non-white" ^_^)

Why is this image any more a "travesty" than a Swedish, brunette, blue eyed man playing Jesus?
It's not. That was sarcasm.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have you ever seen a movie/tv show about Jesus? Robert Powell (brown haired, blue eyed Brit), Max von Sydow (brown haired, blue eyed swede), Brian Deacon (brown haired, blue eyed Brit), Jim Cavaziel (brown haired, blue eyed American).

There was a Johnny Cash video years ago where the actor portraying Jesus was white with blonde hair and blue eyes. I cannot remember the name of the song though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
When John Cavaziel was playing Jesus in The Passion he was actually wearing a nose prosthesis as part of his makeup. I think they were basing his look off the image in the Shroud of Turin.

When I think of biblical diversity, I think of it in a broad sense than just skin color. I think of the Old Testament law that says the Israelites must welcome strangers. The first baptized gentile recorded in the Bible is a eunuch. Many of the New Testament epistles are about fighting various ethnic prejudices within the Church. St. Peter's revelation that there are god-fearers in every nation, and that God is no respecter of persons. Or the biblical narrative ending with the Revelation to St. John, where the nations of the earth will come to the heavenly city.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Jesus was Jew, and looked like any other Jew of his day.

"For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood." Hebrews 7: 14

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I wouldn't know how "old" the artwork is, but it can hardly be "BC" as that would be ... before Christ.

I forgot Ted Neeley. Another brown haired/blonde, blue eyed Jesus. Probably one of my favorites actually. Love Jesus Christ Superstar.

Great performance! My personal favorite Passion Play as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Uncle Siggy

Promulgator of Annoying Tidbits of Information
Dec 4, 2015
Ohio
✟61,528.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You sure, I am sure I saw a Chinese Jesus before......

Did you ever watch Babylon 5???

If so then watch the episode called the Fall of Night at the end of the 2nd season, they're all available on the internet

Last edited:
Upvote 0