✟16,435.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/11/07/news/muslims.php

CHICAGO: Amid copies of the Koran and Arabic calligraphy, a small American flag sits on a table in a corner of Ahmed Rehab's office at the Council on American-Islamic Relations here.

"I am proud to be American, and I really mean that," said Rehab, who as executive director of the council's Chicago branch spends his days handling civil rights complaints from fellow Muslims. "I'd rather be a Muslim in America than anywhere else."

justanobserver

Still Wondering...
Oct 26, 2005
✟17,559.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
For U.S. Muslims, it's the American way http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/11/07/news/muslims.php

CHICAGO: Amid copies of the Koran and Arabic calligraphy, a small American flag sits on a table in a corner of Ahmed Rehab's office at the Council on American-Islamic Relations here.

"I am proud to be American, and I really mean that," said Rehab, who as executive director of the council's Chicago branch spends his days handling civil rights complaints from fellow Muslims. "I'd rather be a Muslim in America than anywhere else."

Thank you for posting this. It shows a side to Islam that others may not see/know or maybe dont want to see/know.

At my job there a couple filipinos that are muslim and I am proud to cal them my friends. Polite, respectful, most generous and humble folks around. All they want to do is work, enjoy and live their lives, kinda sorta just like everyone and anyone else here.

When I was active duty, I served with muslims that had become US citizens and never once had reason to question their loyalty to this nation. They were fellow brother soldiers to me.

Upvote 0

soblessed53

Sep 4, 2005
North Central,OH.U.S.A.
✟19,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Sorry,I've seen and read too much to fall for this! I know what is happening all over Europe, "HONOR-KILLINGS",trying to force "Sharia-Law",home-grown-terrorists, yeah they just want to hug us and love us while they force us to covert at sword's point,or sever our heads if we won't!

Anyone watch the Fox news special this weekend about the movie"Obsession:Radical Islam's War Against The West"? Don't EVER forget all those videos of their screaming rants against not only the U.S. but every non-Islamic country on earth!

A "key" statement from the article,"But for now at least, the violent backlash is in Europe, not America". Now it is just a matter of seeing 'WHEN",it's our turn.

Upvote 0

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
My best friend in high school was a Muslim, and I've worked with a few Marines that are Muslim. Most of the people I have met, are great. I even met a Muslim from Bosnia.

It's usually the MidEast Muslims that get the bad rap, but American Muslims are usually great people.

Upvote 0

soblessed53

Sep 4, 2005
North Central,OH.U.S.A.
✟19,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
My best friend in high school was a Muslim, and I've worked with a few Marines that are Muslim. Most of the people I have met, are great. I even met a Muslim from Bosnia.

It's usually the MidEast Muslims that get the bad rap, but American Muslims are usually great people.

As the British and French once said! :(

Upvote 0

soblessed53

Sep 4, 2005
North Central,OH.U.S.A.
✟19,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Are you saying all Muslims are evil and are possible terrorists?

No,many,many Muslims themselves are suffering under radical Islam. But there can be no denying what is happening around the world including Europe. Multiculturalism is the most assinine idea humans ever came up with,and God tried to teach us to stay away from it.It is 100% unscriptural. Now we are reaping what we have sown.

I don't pretend to know what can be done to stop the spread of the cancer of radical Islam,but I cannot bear for people to pretend there is no Islamic plan to establish a worldwide Caliphate and these fanatics are on TV,almost every day of the week,screaming,foaming at the mouth,SAYING they intend to wipe all unbelievers(non-muslims) off the face of the earth. Like we never turn our televisions on! :doh: ^_^

Upvote 0

JPPT1974

April Showers and Easter 2024!
Mar 18, 2004
Small Town, USA
✟569,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
We shouldn't judge ALL Muslims just because of
What happened on US soil five years ago
It is like judging all Christians or Jews.
Like there are good Christians and Jews
There are good Muslims, Buddhists, Hinduists, etc.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You say that many are suffering under radical islamists. Could that be one reason that so many American Muslims like America? Because they don't have to worry about being killed for discrepencies in their beliefs?

That is part of multi-culturalism which no, is not evil. It is the only way for us to live together on an increasingly small planet.

Upvote 0

soblessed53

Sep 4, 2005
North Central,OH.U.S.A.
✟19,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
You say that many are suffering under radical islamists. Could that be one reason that so many American Muslims like America? Because they don't have to worry about being killed for discrepencies in their beliefs?

That is part of multi-culturalism which no, is not evil. It is the only way for us to live together on an increasingly small planet.

There is no doubt about that,but as a Christian I disagree about multiculturalism not being evil, stupid and unnatural! Stupid because we CANNOT get along,and God intended us to stay seperate from the very beginning. The OT is full of Him trying to keep us seperate and commanding us to stay seperate.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

thumperton

Sep 4, 2005
✟1,131.00
Faith
Christian

so they managed to find some muslims who aren't cursing America--that's news!

Upvote 0

Rochir

By Grabthar's hammer ... YES.WEEK.END!
Sep 27, 2004
In your lap
Visit site
✟31,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Thank you for posting this positive article about American muslims here. there are many utterly ignorant people on this planet who mistake the deeds of fanatical fundamentalist Muslim for thsoe of a whole religion.

People always bemoan that Christians are only judged by the attroicities which happened in Christ's name furing the Crusades, yet at the same time do the same thing wheh it comes to islam and muslims!

I wish people would stop slandering a faith they have no idea about!:doh:

Upvote 0

Maxwell511

Contributor
Jun 12, 2005
Utah County
✟16,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

Muslims love America? Care to explain this then?

Upvote 0

rahma

FUNdamentalist
Jan 15, 2004
between a frozen wastelan and a wast desert
Visit site
✟16,435.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
As I've stated in the past, if certain members would spend just a 10th of the time reading books written by faithful muslims who love Islam, they would get a very different picture, instead of reading the same mill manufactured "islam hates women" books that are seemingly so popular.

Unfortunately, I can't post those books on this board without getting slapped with a prosyletzing warning. But, they're out there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rahma

FUNdamentalist
Jan 15, 2004
Visit site
✟16,435.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well when the OP claims to be Keith Ellison's sister,

The OP claims to be Ellison's sister in faith :) When Br. Keith greets me with Assalamu Alaikum sister (peace be upon you sister) every time I talk to him, it's kinda hard not to consider him my brotha.

Upvote 0

rahma

FUNdamentalist
Jan 15, 2004
Visit site
✟16,435.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Muslims love America? Care to explain this then?

:sick: It's a disgrace, I'll admit :cry: They've had a booth at the annual ISNA convention in Chicago (major US muslim yearly gathering) for several years, and people will usually either ignore them, boo and hiss or debate with them. I've got to admit, they're gutsy to keep coming back year after year.

Muslims tended to vote democrat this time around. As a community, we're still trying to get our political barrings. We started to organize for the 2000 presidential election, and in our political naieviette, voted en masse for Bush because he took the time to talk with secret evidence with some muslim leaders when Gore didn't talk about it at all.

Since then, we're getting a bit more political savvy as a whole. It's an interesting thing to watch evolve.

Upvote 0

Maxwell511

Contributor
Jun 12, 2005
Utah County
✟16,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
:sick: It's a disgrace, I'll admit :cry: They've had a booth at the annual ISNA convention in Chicago (major US muslim yearly gathering) for several years, and people will usually either ignore them, boo and hiss or debate with them. I've got to admit, they're gutsy to keep coming back year after year.

Fair play to them.

Muslims tended to vote democrat this time around. As a community, we're still trying to get our political barrings. We started to organize for the 2000 presidential election, and in our political naieviette, voted en masse for Bush because he took the time to talk with secret evidence with some muslim leaders when Gore didn't talk about it at all.

Since then, we're getting a bit more political savvy as a whole. It's an interesting thing to watch evolve.

I would have thought that western Muslims would tend naturally to vote on the conservative side. Though in the States there isn't really much choice.

Having said that the only Muslim we ever had in the Dail was a member of the Labour party which most Americans would probably consider communist.

Upvote 0

rahma

FUNdamentalist
Jan 15, 2004
Visit site
✟16,435.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I would have thought that western Muslims would tend naturally to vote on the conservative side. Though in the States there isn't really much choice.

That would only be natural to assume, since traditionally based muslims tend to find traditional conservative social values important - marriage, abortion and what not.

That's how the community began - allying itself with the party that seemed natural, and who spoke with us.

But, it's become increasingly uncomfortable for the average muslim to vote republican when there is a certain segment of the republican population who hates our guts and dispises our very existance.

As we become more politically mature, I think muslims will start to examine all the issues, weigh them, court political candidates and be coopted into the massive american political machine. Now, I'm not sure that's a good thing, but it's the american way ^_^

But then, all of this doesn't apply to me, since I've been a democratic political activist since before I could vote. I'm kinda the odd one out :p

Upvote 0

Maxwell511

Contributor
Jun 12, 2005
Utah County
✟16,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
As we become more politically mature, I think muslims will start to examine all the issues, weigh them, court political candidates and be coopted into the massive american political machine. Now, I'm not sure that's a good thing, but it's the american way ^_^

From what I've heard Americans vote with their gut more than a rational examination of all the issues.:)

Upvote 0