Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
He was just told these jokes:

Two lions are walking around a supermarket
One turns to the other and says 'quiet here today isn't it?'

Shocked Spartacus says "Do something? I was gladiator."
I think I will use these ones in the next church bulletin! :)

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟700,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
wow that was 28 years ago.

If the readers are not aware of it you can find more information here:

THE TORONTO BLESSING: WHAT IS IT? — John & Carol Arnott

Thousands from all over the globe came and experienced a dynamic move of God and naysayers and cessasionist had a field day of accusations and complaints.

I imagine it was very much like Asuza Street in the early 1900's it started very powerful and ended in excess.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

Thousands from all over the globe came and experienced a dynamic move of God and naysayers and cessasionist had a field day of accusations and complaints.

I imagine it was very much like Asuza Street in the early 1900's it started very powerful and ended in excess.

No,.... that uncontrolled carnal demonstration in Canada had nothing whatsoever in common with Asuza street.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟700,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No,.... that uncontrolled carnal demonstration in Canada had nothing whatsoever in common with Asuza street.

Well we completely disagree. The Toronto blessing did not start that way - though it did end that way. Which interestingly so did Asuza.

There are quite a few similarities. Now, I was not at Asuza, but have read quite a bit about it. I did experience Toronto in the beginning and then about two years later and saw where it was going.

LA Times said this about Asuza:

"they cry and make howling noises all day and into the night. They run, jump, shake all over, shout to the top of their voice, spin around in circles, fall out on the sawdust blanketed floor jerking, kicking and rolling all over it. Some of them pass out and do not move for hours as though they were dead. These people appear to be mad, mentally deranged or under a spell. They claim to be filled with the spirit."

img

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,704.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

It was a joke. That is what the thread is. Just a joke, not a serious examination of the pros and cons of the Toronto Blessing.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Well we completely disagree. The Toronto blessing did not start that way - though it did end that way. Which interestingly so did Asuza.

Asuza street sprang forth a denomination and a movement that is still happening today. Arnott and his "suggestive thought" type of gatherings have never had any similarity to the original. They've always led to fleshly type manifestations, which always die off, ie brownsville.

Your particular identifier of "Charismatic" has roots stemming from our Pentecostal event.

If you read up on Asuza street from actual Christian reports instead of newspaper articles, you'll find that under Seymours endeavors, he never allowed the "flesh to glory." That was one of the very safeguards he sought to enact, and probably one of the reasons it branched off into an actual denomination.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,820.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It always struck me that the Lady in this video has a Scottish voice:

It would be interesting perhaps to meet her one day and see if her perspective on the event had changed since. God Bless All :)

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,704.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Well this devolved quickly.
A man was walking past a graveyard in Germany when he heard Beethoven's Fifth Symphony played backwards. As he went deeper among the graves, he came to a grave, with a very ornate headstone, the music was very loud at that point. When he read the name of the headstone he realised what was going on. It was Beethoven decomposing.

Then he heard music coming from a very deserted men's toilet nearby. When he went in and went to the stall where the music was loudest he discovered Beethoven's last movement.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟700,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you read up on Asuza street from actual Christian reports instead of newspaper articles, you'll find that under Seymours endeavors, he never allowed the "flesh to glory." That was one of the very safeguards he sought to enact, and probably one of the reasons it branched off into an actual denomination.

I have read extensively. It was the beginning of three Pentecostal denominations, not just one. I read the good and the not so good. That is how I can say it began and ended very differently.

The similarities in Asuza and Tornoto's ending are very, very interesting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,704.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Asuza street sprang forth a denomination and a movement that is still happening today. Arnott and his "suggestive thought" type of gatherings have never had any similarity to the original. They've always led to fleshly type manifestations, which always die off, ie brownsville.

Your particular identifier of "Charismatic" has roots stemming from our Pentecostal event.

The thing about newspaper articles is that they are not designed to tell the truth based on unbiased research. They are there to sell newspapers, and if a reporter can exaggerate things to make an event sound more weird or spectacular than it actually is, then his editor would be very happy with him, because sales would increase. All we have to do is to see how many views a Youtube video gets when it is weird or spectactular, as compared to one that just shows the truth about an event.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,704.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
@lismore
I suspect she may have found herself needing deliverance.

That video is very disturbing.

I had not yet received the baptism of the Holy Spirit back in the days of the Toronto Blessing.
So, I know very little about it. And now, so many years later, I do not want or need to know more.

There may have been many, in that video, that needed deliverance after their participation in those services. I hope they got it.

But we can learn from past mistakes, and we can move on, with the grace of God.
We make mistakes, we learn, and repent, and God forgives ... He is a Great God ...
and we move on ...

Jesus is coming soon.
God bless!
I watched the video, and what is happening there is definitely not the Holy Spirit. The prophet word the woman gave about the wolf howling is totally false. Seeing those people behaving like absolutely idiots made me cringe. The traditional Pentecostal pastor who trained me in the ministry of the Holy Spirit would have rejected that type of behaviour out of hand. He would have immediately said categorically that what was motivating those people was a spirit that was not of God at all. It is tragic that it puts the true Pentecostals into disrepute by its clear blasphemy in their claim that this is how the Holy Spirit motivates people.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟438,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Can we create a separate thread for the controversial discussion?

I know I am the first one to derail a thread, but I would love to leave this one on the lighter side.

(My previous post was one not on the 'lighter side'. Out of respect for anyone here who may have found the contents of my post to be controversial, I've deleted it. In no way am I wanting to create distress or strife within this thread. Pax:plus:)

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0