New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I started a thread a while back about free speech and inappropriate contentography and some advocated that it was basically harmless adult fun. Well I don't think so and here is another example of why:

Officers Get List of Names of Actors in Sex Films
By NICK MADIGAN

Published: April 22, 2004

LOS ANGELES, April 21 — Investigators for the Los Angeles County Department of Health Services obtained on Wednesday a list of the legal names of 53 adult-movie actors who were known to have had sexual contact with two actors infected with the AIDS virus or with someone else who had sex with the two.

The investigators obtained the list in a visit to a clinic in the San Fernando Valley that tests 1,200 adult-film performers a month for sexually transmitted diseases.

Health Department officials said the list of legal names, as opposed to stage names, would make it easier to track down both the actors and anyone outside the industry with whom they might have had sex.

Sharon Mitchell, the director of the clinic, which is run by the Adult Industry Medical Health Care Foundation, said she had handed over the names only at the insistence of a pair of investigators.

"We're not happy about this," said Dr. Mitchell, a former adult-film actress who holds a master's degree in public health and a Ph.D. in human sexuality. "The legal names of our talent have always been held in the strictest confidentiality and privacy. We've been persuaded to cooperate."

Dr. Mitchell acknowledged that there were potential benefits to the county's involvement. "The upside," she said, "is that we will know once and for all the bugaboo of, `Did this reach the general population or not?' "

When adult-movie producers learned last week that two actors were infected, most companies in the local industry agreed to halt filming for 60 days so performers who worked with them could be tested again for exposure to H.I.V., the virus that causes AIDS.

Since then, public health officials say they have been trying to find better ways to monitor and regulate the industry.

On Tuesday, the county's public health director, Jonathan E. Fielding, wrote Dr. Mitchell a letter saying his department was "initiating an official investigation of this outbreak" to limit further spread of disease.

On the same day, Dr. Fielding wrote to Len Welch, acting chief of the California Occupational Safety and Health Administration in San Francisco, requesting a state investigation into an adult-film company in Chatsworth, in the San Fernando Valley, where the two infected actors, Darren James and Lara Roxx, "performed high-risk sexual acts" and apparently became infected as a result.

Dr. Fielding said the most important task was finding people outside the adult-movie industry who might have contracted the H.I.V. virus from those inside it. "We want to make sure they're all covered, and counseled," he said.

Susan Gard, a spokeswoman for the California Occupational Safety and Health Administration, said her agency could not investigate cases of potential exposure to H.I.V. unless the workers in question were employed by a production company. Independent contractors and freelancers, which most actors are, would not come under the agency's jurisdiction.

The agency could step in more easily, Ms. Gard said, if it can be shown that companies have violated state laws that cover injury and illness prevention or if precautions regarding bloodborne pathogens can be proved inadequate.

The California Department of Health Services might have to become involved, she said.

"It's unclear at this point what each agency is going to be able to do," Ms. Gard said. "We're really at Square 1."

The focus on the San Fernando Valley's inappropriate contentography industry, which is said to generate several billion dollars a year, comes on the heels of renewed efforts to regulate and monitor bathhouses where men meet to have sex, often anonymously. County officials were aghast last month when a study financed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that 11 percent of customers at two bathhouses in Los Angeles tested positive for H.I.V. Officials are considering requiring testing at bathhouses for H.I.V. and other sexually transmitted diseases.

Dr. Fielding said that in a few weeks he would submit to the county's board of supervisors new recommendations for regulating bathhouses and sex clubs.

Dr. Mitchell and some industry leaders plan a news conference on Thursday to explain their position on the possibility that their industry could be subject to far greater scrutiny than before.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/22/national/22inappropriate content.html

MediocrityInAction

Anti-Humanist
Dec 16, 2003
✟1,137.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
If this is the story I remember reading earlier, then the man got infected because he went to Brazil to work. From the sound of the article, there is a very strict form of testing in America, so it was the fault of the man for going into unsafe territory. Although I don't personally partake of it, inappropriate contentography is a part of our society, and has been around in some form for a very long time indeed. I doubt this will lead to an effective ban, or a longterm decrease in the volume circulated. I think the AIDS virus is an occupational hazard for these people, and as such, they should take all steps possible (including condom use) to stop its spread.

Upvote 0

HeatherJay

Kisser of Boo-Boos
Sep 1, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟41,276.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But, honestly, how likely is it that the inappropriate content industry will begin to enforce regular condom use?? I'm thinking, not very. People don't pay money to watch them have "safe" sex, do they?? I don't think much will change, honestly.

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
ZaraDurden said:
I fail to see how this is the result of inappropriate contentography itself. This is the result of people making bad choices.

people in the p orn industry.

which raises the question in inappropriate content movies do they show people putting on condoms, I know that would take away from the asthetic beauty and art of of the moment ;) but hey should.

Not necessarily asking you ZaraDurden, anyone know the answer?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SqueezetheShaman

Jul 26, 2003
✟5,461.00
Faith
Agnostic
They don't show them going on.

inappropriate contentography itself still isn't the bad seed here, it is irresponsibility and reckless behavior. If they use couples that are exclusive to each other, and don't need condoms, it is still inappropriate content, and wont have these dangers.

I have never been convinced that inappropriate content is bad, or dangerous. it is the people who can't control themself for whatever reason and become addicted to it or need it to get turned on. I enjoy it occasionally. As any married woman knows, you simply do NOT want to be with your husband *all* the time, and it is nice to be able to get a little help every once in a while.

Upvote 0

paxvobiscum

Sep 5, 2003
Canada
✟2,280.00
Faith
Really, where did you find that tidbit?

rainbowshope said:
I did some research on inappropriate content addicts. Did you know viewing that stuff can cause the person to become physically and sexually abusive? It can also cause the person to have anger problems and much more.

Upvote 0

ThePhoenix

Aug 12, 2003
✟5,476.00
Faith
Christian
rainbowshope said:
I did some research on inappropriate content addicts. Did you know viewing that stuff can cause the person to become physically and sexually abusive? It can also cause the person to have anger problems and much more.
wow, the studies of prisoners that show prisoners like to blame other things for their crimes. :sigh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Philosoft

Orthogonal, Tangential, Tenuously Related
Dec 26, 2002
Southeast of Disorder
Visit site
✟6,503.00
Faith
Atheist
rainbowshope said:
I think you've confused your correlations and your causations. Kind of a rookie mistake, really.

Upvote 0

Blessed75

Jun 24, 2003
✟5,134.00
Faith
Non-Denom
SqueezetheShaman said:
They don't show them going on.

inappropriate contentography itself still isn't the bad seed here, it is irresponsibility and reckless behavior. If they use couples that are exclusive to each other, and don't need condoms, it is still inappropriate content, and wont have these dangers.

I have never been convinced that inappropriate content is bad, or dangerous. it is the people who can't control themself for whatever reason and become addicted to it or need it to get turned on. I enjoy it occasionally. As any married woman knows, you simply do NOT want to be with your husband *all* the time, and it is nice to be able to get a little help every once in a while.

TOLD YOU MOM!!!!!!!!!^_^

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
rainbowshope said:

Wel I don't agree with inappropriate content but I need to some facts to support this. Sounds a little out there to me. Not facts from WND, but real facts.

Upvote 0