For those people who believe that the universe always existed….

Jon

<marquee behavior=scroll direction=left scrollamou
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
✟8,054.00
Faith
Christian
For those people who believe that the universe always existed…

The second law of thermodynamics says that its is the tenancy for all things to disorder.
As time passes the universe will become more and more disordered
The universe could not have always existed because of the second law of thermodynamics.

LadyShea

Humanist
Aug 29, 2002
Nevada
Visit site
✟1,749.00
Faith
Atheist
The first law of thermodynamics states that matter and energy can be neither created or destroyed, only change form. I think the Universe has always existed in some form . I do not know what its previous form may have been, or if it may return to that form at some point (entropy?), but I think that some kind of cycle is entirely possible.

Upvote 0

Jon

<marquee behavior=scroll direction=left scrollamou
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
✟8,054.00
Faith
Christian
3rd April 2003 at 02:29 PM LadyShea said this in Post #5

The first law of thermodynamics states that matter and energy can be neither created or destroyed, only change form. I think the Universe has always existed in some form . I do not know what its previous form may have been, or if it may return to that form at some point (entropy?), but I think that some kind of cycle is entirely possible.

Why don't you just say the the scientific laws where created when the universe was :)

Upvote 0

Zadok001

Gli alberi hanno orecchie, occhi e denti.
Feb 5, 2003
Visit site
✟594.00
And I stand on the other side of LadyShea. I believe the universe has always existed in some form, and that it is concievable that prior forms did not have the Law of Entropy in the form we have it today. Hence, entropy is not a problem for the claim that the universe has always existed, since entropy is not necessarily a permanent fixture of the universe.

(Out of curiousity... For those people who believe that God always existed, the second law of thermodynamics says that its is the tenancy for all things to disorder. As time passes God will become more and more disordered. God could not have always existed because of the second law of thermodynamics. With it phrased that way, do you see the fallacy of this reasoning?)

Upvote 0

Mechanical Bliss

Secrecy and accountability cannot co-exist.
Nov 3, 2002
A^2
Visit site
✟21,365.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
3rd April 2003 at 10:15 PM Jon said this in Post #9

Zadok001:
God isn't stuck with our scientific laws.

Yeah, your god doesn't have to be "stuck" with anything in reality unless you want him to. Heck, he doesn't even have to follow the same moral system for which Christians claim he set the standards (hypocrisy).

YECists seem to have no problem holding their deity to natural laws to try to explain a global flood, but obviously it doesn't work so they have to keep moving the goalposts back, and back, and back until all that's left is a highly malleable definition of such a deity that fits whatever you want him to be.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

webboffin

NOT APPLICABLE
Nov 9, 2002
NO ENTRY
Visit site
✟1,907.00
Faith
3rd April 2003 at 10:29 PM LadyShea said this in Post #5

Who said that laws of physics to what we know applied before this big bang?

Upvote 0

webboffin

NOT APPLICABLE
Nov 9, 2002
NO ENTRY
Visit site
✟1,907.00
Faith
3rd April 2003 at 11:02 PM LadyShea said this in Post #7

Because, that's slightly different than what I believe. I think there has been an unending cycle of Big Bangs, and whatever we choose to call the state just before the Big Bang.
If the succession of big bangs had no beginning then why not a universe?

Upvote 0