intentions when he said in a 2003 interview that "My books are about
killing God."
The movie is a watered down version of the first book and is designed
to be very attractive in the hope unsuspecting parents will take their
children to see the the movie and that the children will want the
books for Christmas.
The movie has a well known cast, including Nicole Kidman, Daniel Craig,
and Sam Elliott. It will probably be advertised extensively, so it is
crucial that we get the word out to warn people to avoid this movie.

CoolMom6

SAHMO6
Oct 27, 2005
Sin City
✟34,298.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There's more;

The movie, in short, states that children should feel "mutilated" and out of place if they do not have a demon assigned to them. In fact, the whole website gives instructions on how children can receive their demon.

My churches pastors have done research on the movie and books and ask that we Christian parents and grandparents stand in prayer that whatever plan the enemy has with this movie, which is used to spread an anti-God message, will be thwarted and God's will be done.

www.christianitytoday.com/movies has more info if you need it.

Upvote 0

Auncy

forgiven1
Jul 5, 2007
PA
✟35,719.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Sorry if you all have seen warnings on this before...but I do feel it's worth the repeat.
Thanks coolmom for posting this. I don't have any kids or grandkids but it is still good to know these things so I can pass it on to my sisters and others.

Upvote 0

CoolMom6

SAHMO6
Oct 27, 2005
Sin City
✟34,298.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks coolmom for posting this. I don't have any kids or grandkids but it is still good to know these things so I can pass it on to my sisters and others.
Sweetie, you understand I am not an alarmist, or a nut.
I may be a little whack-o sometimes, but when it comes to spiritual things, I take stuff really seriously.
I have seen firsthand the damage that the occult can do.
I have never been an overprotective mother when it comes to TV and movies/music/media, etc, you can ask my kids. I DO believe this is something to be aware of, esp. when they are encouraging the kids to get their "own" demon, in the sense that the enemy of our souls is sneaky and comes disguised in many ways to kill and destroy.

Thanks for taking me seriously.
I actually got to thinking after I posted this, I do NOT actually object to the VIEWING of this movie, IF and that is a big IF, you can hold on to the Biblical truths and discuss this with a child who can understand.
I AM fearful of anyone who goes thinking that playing with demons is harmless or a fantasy or a game.

Do take all this to God in prayer.

Upvote 0

CoolMom6

SAHMO6
Oct 27, 2005
Sin City
✟34,298.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A friend on another thread posted this, so it is NOT overreacting, as far as we are concerned.

United Church of Christ's

E-Newsletter

Dangerous Movie

There will be a new children’s movie out in December called "The Golden Compass". T he movie has been described as "atheism for kids" and is based on the first book of a trilogy entitled "His Dark Materials" that was written by Phillip Pullman. Pullman is a militant atheist and secular humanist who despises C.S. Lewis and the "Chronicles of Narnia". His motivation for writing this trilogy was specifically to counteract Lewis’ symbolisms of Christ that are portrayed in the Narnia series.

Clearly, Pullman’s main objective is to bash Christianity and promote atheism. Pullman left little doubt about his intentions when he said in a 2003 interview that "my books are about killing God." He has even stated that he wants to "kill God in the minds of children". It has been said of Pullman that he is "the writer the atheists would be praying for, if atheists prayed."

While "The Golden Compass" movie itself may seem mild and innocent, the books are a much different story. In the trilogy, a young streetwise girl becomes enmeshed in an epic struggle to ultimately defeat the oppressive forces of a senile God. Another character, an ex-nun, describes Christianity as "a very powerful and convincing mistake." In the final book, characters representing Adam and Eve eventually kill God, who at times is called YAHWEH. Each book in the trilogy gets progressively worse regarding Pullman’s hatred of Jesus Christ.

"The Golden Compass" is set to premier on December 7, during the Christmas season, and will probably be heavily advertised. Promoters hope that unsuspecting parents will take their children to see the movie, that they will enjoy the movie, and that the children will want the books for Christmas.

The above is the synopsis shared with the Muhlenberg Pastors. For additional information and verification, you can go to the Snopes.com website at:
http://snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp

Upvote 0

TexasSky

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
Texas
✟12,139.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
My daughter (who is getting married next week), told me that she saw an interview with the author of the original book and that he complained the movie was not "anti-Christian enough". He felt they "watered down" his "anti-faith" message.

That was enough to get me to put it on my blacklist.

Upvote 0

CoolMom6

SAHMO6
Oct 27, 2005
Sin City
✟34,298.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My daughter (who is getting married next week), told me that she saw an interview with the author of the original book and that he complained the movie was not "anti-Christian enough". He felt they "watered down" his "anti-faith" message.

That was enough to get me to put it on my blacklist.
Thank you for this, and keep praying.
:prayer:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

porterross

I miss Ronald Reagan
Jan 27, 2006
just this side of Heaven
✟44,831.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
We saw the previews for that movie twice, but my daughter hasn't expressed interest in seeing it, which is totally out of character for her. I mean, the polar bears look pretty cool. :D

All I can think is that the Holy Spirit speaks to her more loudly than than the advertisers. They aren't getting my youngun. :thumbsup: Praise God for sound catechism! :bow: :pray:

Upvote 0

CoolMom6

SAHMO6
Oct 27, 2005
Sin City
✟34,298.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We saw the previews for that movie twice, but my daughter hasn't expressed interest in seeing it, which is totally out of character for her. I mean, the polar bears look pretty cool. :D

All I can think is that the Holy Spirit speaks to her more loudly than than the advertisers. They aren't getting my youngun. :thumbsup: Praise God for sound catechism! :bow: :pray:
Yes, praise God for that, PR.
My son said the same, and he's 12.

Upvote 0