For the christians who believe in evolution.

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"Or say "Genesis looks like a creation myth, and I will read it as such." That works too."

No, it doesn't. You're putting your thoughs on the "data" not letting thoughts come from it. Not 1. scholarly honest 2. sciencitically honest and 3. Not biblically honest. the only way you can congel (sp) evolution with the bible is interpret the word YOM different. :) (if you're a christian) or you can be a nonchristian and you can do it chickenman's way.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by LouisBooth
"Or say "Genesis looks like a creation myth, and I will read it as such." That works too."

No, it doesn't. You're putting your thoughs on the "data" not letting thoughts come from it. Not 1. scholarly honest 2. sciencitically honest and 3. Not biblically honest. the only way you can congel (sp) evolution with the bible is interpret the word YOM different. :) (if you're a christian) or you can be a nonchristian and you can do it chickenman's way.

This is ridiculous, though! By this interpretation, it should be forbidden to believe that any word or phrase in the Bible is not literal truth, unless it clearly states that it's not. In practice, we *constantly* judge text as being of one form or another; some questions are rhetorical, some phrases are metaphorical.

Upvote 0

sunshine

May 25, 2002
Toronto
✟8,963.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by elephanticity
Every culture has a 'where from' myth.
If it weren't for the names and certain specific details, you'd have a difficult time picking yours out of a lineup.

I just came in here to say that I totally agree with elephanticity and seebs. I believe that creation is a cultural myth, similar to any other cultural myth you'll find. It's practically a universal that all cultures have an origins myth. I don't think it's blasphemous at all to read the story of creation as a myth, it's meant symbolically not literally.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by LouisBooth
"By this interpretation, it should be forbidden to believe that any word or phrase in the Bible is not literal truth, unless it clearly states that it's not"

Exactly, its call context seebs. You're finally getting it.

Unfortunately, only about five things are ever described *explicitly* as non-literal, and you end up having to look for the four literal corners of the earth.

The belief that the Bible is mostly literal is a recent invention mostly unique to the U.S.; it does not reflect the bulk of Christian theology of the last two thousand years, and it appears to exist mostly as a tool for excluding people from the "in" group.

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by randman
"I believe that creation is a cultural myth, similar to any other cultural myth you'll find."

And I believe evolution is a modern cultural myth.

Myths are sacred narratives. Evolution is a scientific theory.

Upvote 0

tericl2

A Work in Progress
Feb 2, 2002
Tulsa, OK
Visit site
✟1,594.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by mac_philo
Here's a good example of observed evolution in salamanders:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/library/05/2/l_052_05.html

It's clear case of observed evolution. It also explains how speciation occurs, as these salamanders are a 'ring species.' Plus, salamanders are just cool.

Have fun.

Funny thing about this article - the salamanders are still salamanders....not birds or anything else. Still the same species family. Where is the evolution again?

Upvote 0
Originally posted by tericl2

Funny thing about this article - the salamanders are still salamanders....not birds or anything else. Still the same species family. Where is the evolution again?

Read biology textbook for definition of evolution. Read article for example. You will find it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tericl2

A Work in Progress
Feb 2, 2002
Tulsa, OK
Visit site
✟1,594.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by Jerry Smith

Read biology textbook for definition of evolution. Read article for example. You will find it.

Oh, I agree it is evolution by the definition evolution equals change. Evolutionary example of the magnitudinal changes required to explain the current evolutionary theories? I think not.

See my sig for a breif description of evolution.

Fine. The article is still only relevant as it applies to gene selection. Much the same way that my mother has green eyes, my father brown, but I have blue eyes. Simple gene selection, unless of course I am at a higher evolutionary stage than my parents based on this one identifiable characteristic. I am still human...the salamander is still a salamander, regardless of color or location.

Upvote 0

Oh, I agree it is evolution by the definition evolution equals change. Evolutionary example of the magnitudinal changes required to explain the current evolutionary theories? I think not.

Do you mean common descent of all life? No, that is just the beginning of common descent... Yes, it is important, because if things like this didn't happen common descent couldn't have, but no the evidence proper for common descent is elsewhere.

Fine. The article is still only relevant as it applies to gene selection. Much the same way that my mother has green eyes, my father brown, but I have blue eyes. Simple gene selection, unless of course I am at a higher evolutionary stage than my parents based on this one identifiable characteristic. I am still human...the salamander is still a salamander, regardless of color or location.

No, Mendel's studies provide what you are talking about. The salamander article describes the documentation of process of speciation (one of the processes, anyway)... speciation is important, because it represents the irrevocable branching off of a new line with features distinct from the parent line. That is a very important step in evolution, and one that many creationists have asserted is impossible.

Upvote 0

tericl2

A Work in Progress
Feb 2, 2002
Tulsa, OK
Visit site
✟1,594.00
Faith
Christian
No, Mendel's studies provide what you are talking about. The salamander article describes the documentation of process of speciation (one of the processes, anyway)... speciation is important, because it represents the irrevocable branching off of a new line with features distinct from the parent line. That is a very important step in evolution, and one that many creationists have asserted is impossible.

The problem is, their parent line in the article is simply speculation and conjecture. They think it started up north. They don't know and have no way of verifying a postulation derived from previously held bias.

Upvote 0

The problem is, their parent line in the article is simply speculation and conjecture. They think it started up north. They don't know and have no way of verifying a postulation derived from previously held bias.

Not too big a problem, since the parent line is still around and being observed. Not too big a problem, since the parent line still interbreeds freely with the intermediates nearest them geographically. Not too big a problem since the intermediates still interbreed with the intermediates nearest THEM geographically. Not too big a problem since THOSE intermediates still interbreed with the tail end of the ring, that is with the ones that cannot interbreed with the parent line and produce successful offspring.

It never ceases to amaze me that creationists can continue to quibble over finer and finer points and never just deal with the evidence.

Upvote 0

tericl2

A Work in Progress
Feb 2, 2002
Tulsa, OK
Visit site
✟1,594.00
Faith
Christian
Mendel's Law of Genetics, which basically states that different "combinations" of genes are formed (not altogether different genes). Genes are merely moved about from one generation of species to another. These combinations form many different "looking" varieties of animals but in every case they are still members of the original family. See dog breeding for an excellent example of this.

In all of this, and in the salamanders, there is seen to be genetic variance and change. However, there has been NO cellular change or species differentation in the least degree.

Genetic variance (or micro-evolution) = horizontal change, scientifically verifiable

Macro-evolution = vertical change, no scientific evidence

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Mendel's Law of Genetics, which basically states that different "combinations" of genes are formed (not altogether different genes). Genes are merely moved about from one generation of species to another. These combinations form many different "looking" varieties of animals but in every case they are still members of the original family. See dog breeding for an excellent example of this.

In all of this, and in the salamanders, there is seen to be genetic variance and change. However, there has been NO cellular change or species differentation in the least degree.

Genetic variance (or micro-evolution) = horizontal change, scientifically verifiable

Macro-evolution = vertical change, no scientific evidence

Ask my enemies. I do not lie. If I don't know, I don't say that I know. I don't know if there are any novel gene sequences in the new end of the ring of Ensatina eschscholtzi. But I have it on good authority that the new "end" is a distinct species, with different anatomical features. I don't know what "horizontal" and "vertical" change mean in biological terms. I have to assume that they are tangential to the subject. If you have a meaningful definition for them, run it by me... you may be right in saying the changes are "horizontal" instead of "vertical."

Upvote 0

tericl2

A Work in Progress
Feb 2, 2002
Tulsa, OK
Visit site
✟1,594.00
Faith
Christian

Not too big a problem, since the parent line is still around and being observed. Not too big a problem, since the parent line still interbreeds freely with the intermediates nearest them geographically. Not too big a problem since the intermediates still interbreed with the intermediates nearest THEM geographically. Not too big a problem since THOSE intermediates still interbreed with the tail end of the ring, that is with the ones that cannot interbreed with the parent line and produce successful offspring.

It never ceases to amaze me that creationists can continue to quibble over finer and finer points and never just deal with the evidence.

It amazes me that evolutionists so consistently ignore logical arguments that don't fit in their "thinking box".

It is really a simple case of adaptation. And the "not interbreeding" issue is a moot point. You can find this every where. Two unlike (by looks, geography, etc.) animals or people are much less likely to breed. Why would a dark salamander wish to breed with a light salamander? It would endanger itself and its off-spring, which would no longer be suited for the environment of one of the parents. Why do you think wild animals shun albinos? Simply a matter of survival.

You obviously missed the whole point. How did they determine the parent line?

And since they still intermingle, based on geographic location no less, they are still genetically compatible and cellularly compatible. All this compatibility says they are still the SAME animal with minor genetic "variations", not "mutations"!

BTW, the article does NOT say they CAN"T interbreed. Only that they do not. I would venture that if you were to conduct a study of reproductive organs and genetic compatibility of the two salamanders, you would find that they are very CAPABLE of inter-breeding.

Upvote 0

tericl2

A Work in Progress
Feb 2, 2002
Tulsa, OK
Visit site
✟1,594.00
Faith
Christian

Ask my enemies. I do not lie. If I don't know, I don't say that I know. I don't know if there are any novel gene sequences in the new end of the ring of Ensatina eschscholtzi. But I have it on good authority that the new "end" is a distinct species, with different anatomical features. I don't know what "horizontal" and "vertical" change mean in biological terms. I have to assume that they are tangential to the subject. If you have a meaningful definition for them, run it by me... you may be right in saying the changes are "horizontal" instead of "vertical."

Horizontal to the subject goes to left and right. Differences in size, coloration, etc.

Vertical goes up. This would be a major change in the animal itself, such as lizard to bird. With all the transitional stages in between of course.

Upvote 0

It amazes me that evolutionists so consistently ignore logical arguments that don't fit in their "thinking box".

The working scientists don't have time for creationists 'logical' arguments. If you have evidence, bring it - otherwise, they are busy.

I, on the other hand, have plenty of time. I don't ignore 'logical' arguments, I address them. That is what I am doing here. Most of the creationist arguments have a kind of logic to them, but one that almost always misses the point. Salamander speciation does not equal common descent, for instance.

It is really a simple case of adaptation. And the "not interbreeding" issue is a moot point. You can find this every where. Two unlike (by looks, geography, etc.) animals or people are much less likely to breed. Why would a dark salamander wish to breed with a light salamander? It would endanger itself and its off-spring, which would no longer be suited for the environment of one of the parents. Why do you think wild animals shun albinos? Simply a matter of survival.

You are getting it now. Speciation is often the result of natural selection (a matter of survival). Speciation is the name of the event where two previously interbreeding populations stop interbreeding and begin diverging.

BTW, the article does NOT say they CAN"T interbreed. Only that they do not. I would venture that if you were to conduct a study of reproductive organs and genetic compatibility of the two salamanders, you would find that they are very CAPABLE of inter-breeding.

They are considered speciated because there is a heretitable mechanism that isolates the two gene pools.

You obviously missed the whole point. How did they determine the parent line?

I honestly don't know. Would the results be any different if the parent line and the new line were reversed?

And since they still intermingle, based on geographic location no less, they are still genetically compatible and cellularly compatible. All this compatibility says they are still the SAME animal! [/B]

And their reproductive isolation says they are DIFFERENT SPECIES of that animal.

Upvote 0