California
✟163,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
While discussing evening and morning in another thread some interesting evidence appeared to me from the gospels confirming when a day begins:

"The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre. [...]Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you".
- Gospel of John

Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them[...]And, behold, two of them went that same day to a village called Emmaus, which was from Jerusalem aboutthreescore furlongs".

-Gospel of Luke

And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him. And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun[...]Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils. And she went and told them that had been with him, as they mourned and wept. And they, when they had heard that he was alive, and had been seen of her, believed not."

- Gospel of Mark

"In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawntoward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre."
-Gospel of Matthew

When the women visited the tomb all the gospel accounts agree that it was early in the morning. And when Jesus appeared to His apostles the gospel accounts all agree that it happened that same day in the evening.

Why is it then that we continue to be in rebellion towards God by observing the day from sunset to sunset; sunrise to sunrise; midnight to midnight; or any other way instead of from sunrise to sunset?

Last edited:

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's a major accusation to say people are in rebellion for observing sunset to sunset as the cycle of 1 day, especially when that is how the Scriptures present the cycle of 1 day.

You may want to rethink your accusation...

Upvote 0

YHWH_will_uplift

Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2016
California
✟163,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
It's a major accusation to say people are in rebellion for observing sunset to sunset as the cycle of 1 day, especially when that is how the Scriptures present the cycle of 1 day.

You may want to rethink your accusation...
On the contrary I would challenge you and others to look at what evidence the gospels present concerning when a day begins and ends. Even nature tells you the beginning of the day is at sunrise and the end of the day is at sunset.

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
On the contrary I would challenge you and others to look at what evidence the gospels present concerning when a day begins and ends. Even nature tells you the beginning of the day is at sunrise and the end of the day is at sunset.
I have discussed this with many people in depth. The Torah shows us that during the 7 day creation, each day consisted of darkness FIRST, then LIGHT. Evening & then the morning. There was darkness before light on day 1.

why would it be any different today?

Daytime is when the sun rises. 1 cyclical day is sunset to sunset. 1 cyclical day consists of darkness & light (Genesis 1)

Upvote 0

YHWH_will_uplift

Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2016
California
✟163,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I have discussed this with many people in depth. The Torah shows us that during the 7 day creation, each day consisted of darkness FIRST, then LIGHT. Evening & then the morning. There was darkness before light on day 1.

why would it be any different today?

Daytime is when the sun rises. 1 cyclical day is sunset to sunset. 1 cyclical day consists of darkness & light (Genesis 1)
Brother you're wasting your time: read the Gospel accounts and work backwards. And once you have gone back to Genesis then go forwards to the gospels again. Either the apostles interpreted Moses wrong or Moses wrote his words incorrectly.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Good question.

"And the evening an the morning were the first day"....

....would indicate two parts to make a day, and since darkness was there first, (it was always there) as well as the morning following the evening in the prior verse in the order God made the verse read, a day is 24 hours.

Genesis is Gods report on the matter, so it would hardly be in rebellion to believe the 24hr day is a day, and not sunrise to sunset. On the other hand it would be in rebellion(if we want to call that actual rebellion) to believe a half a day, is a day.

On sunset to sunset being the full day, start to finish, since the evening and the morning were the first day (the evening being first in that verse, in that order, and written by God, as well as it being first to exist naturally) it would make sense to me, sunset (darkness first) to sunset is a day.

In short, that was the natural order, as well as the order God spoke it into being, and in giving his account of it.

And no, I'm not a 7th Day Adventist.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Brother you're wasting your time: read the Gospel accounts and work backwards. And once you have gone back to Genesis then go forwards to the gospels again. Either the apostles interpreted Moses wrong or Moses write his words incorrectly.
You're telling me this as if I haven't read them, and looked at this in depth lol.

I don't have a problem with aligning the Apostles and Moses. Genesis states that in 1 day, there is darkness first, and then light.

In the gospels & New Testament, I see a cyclical day being reckoned the same way: starting at sunset & ending at sunset(darkness first, then light)

Acts 20:7 shows that the Apostles were gathered on the first day of the week, which upon further inspection in the verse, shows that they were gathered prior to midnight *on the first day of the week*. This would indicate that they were together on what we would know of as Saturday evening/night , and it was considered the first day of the week.

I don't see where the issue is? And how is anybody in rebellion for observing sunset to sunset??

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not quite understanding the "For sincere believers" title to this post?

Is that to say, in order to be a sincere believer, we must see a day as sunrise to sunset, and as indicated later, if we don't, we are in rebellion, or not a sincere believer?

Honestly, a person confused or not about the official division of a day, especially with all this mess going around to confuse the issue, I hardly think that even makes Gods list of naughty's.

Upvote 0

miknik5

"Let not your heart be troubled"
Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While discussing evening and morning in another thread some interesting evidence appeared to me from the gospels confirming when a day begins.
When the women visited the tomb all the gospel accounts agree that it was early in the morning. And when Jesus appeared to His apostles the gospel accounts all agree that it happened that same day in the evening.

Why is it then that we continue to be in rebellion towards God by observing the day from sunset to sunset; sunrise to sunrise; midnight to midnight; or any other way instead of from sunrise to sunset?
Because if we're children of the LIGHT than the works we do in the darkness/night should be in line to the works we do in the light/day

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

YHWH_will_uplift

Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2016
California
✟163,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
"The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre. [...]Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you".
- Gospel of John

Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them[...]And, behold, two of them went that same day to a village called Emmaus, which was from Jerusalem aboutthreescore furlongs".

-Gospel of Luke

And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him. And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun[...]Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils. And she went and told them that had been with him, as they mourned and wept. And they, when they had heard that he was alive, and had been seen of her, believed not."

- Gospel of Mark

"In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre."
-Gospel of Matthew

The evidence is clear: the day begins in the morning and ends in the evening: the day begins at sunrise and ends at sunset.

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm not quite understanding the "For sincere believers" title to this post?

Is that to say, in order to be a sincere believer, we must see a day as sunrise to sunset, and as indicated later, if we don't, we are in rebellion, or not a sincere believer?

Honestly, a person confused or not about the official division of a day, especially with all this mess going around to confuse the issue, I hardly think that even makes Gods list of naughty's.

I think that falsely accusing people of rebellion is pretty high up on God's list. He doesn't like false witnesses.

Exodus 20:16
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

• Winner
Reactions: ByTheSpirit
Upvote 0

YHWH_will_uplift

Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2016
California
✟163,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
You're telling me this as if I haven't read them, and looked at this in depth lol.

I don't have a problem with aligning the Apostles and Moses. Genesis states that in 1 day, there is darkness first, and then light.

In the gospels & New Testament, I see a cyclical day being reckoned the same way: starting at sunset & ending at sunset(darkness first, then light)

Acts 20:7 shows that the Apostles were gathered on the first day of the week, which upon further inspection in the verse, shows that they were gathered prior to midnight *on the first day of the week*. This would indicate that they were together on what we would know of as Saturday evening/night , and it was considered the first day of the week.

I don't see where the issue is? And how is anybody in rebellion for observing sunset to sunset??
Morning = Sunrise
Evening = Sunset

Sunrise + Sunset = 1 Day

Night is a completely different time period.

And if darkness always existed then what do you make of what God said through Isaiah that He forms the light and the darkness? None of God's creations preexisted with Him. And since God is Light it follows that Light was first and then He created the darkness. The first verse of Genesis implies that before time was created only eternity existed: therefore the first five verses are what happened on the first day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

YodaMama

Jul 22, 2017
Orange County
✟8,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While discussing evening and morning in another thread some interesting evidence appeared to me from the gospels confirming when a day begins:

- Gospel of John

-Gospel of Luke

- Gospel of Mark

"In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawntoward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre."
-Gospel of Matthew

You are exactly right in that this is how the Jews did observe time (day & night). However, where in the New Testament does God say we (Jews and/or Christians) are required to observe a day like this. Cultural customs are different around the world, but I do not recall any command(s). Remember too that Christ set us free from the many laws of that day and custom.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Morning = Sunrise
Evening = Sunset

Sunrise + Sunset = 1 Day

You say the evening = sunset and the day stops at evening, while God includes the evening in with, as part of the day, as in "The evening and the morning were the first day". How can that not be clear?

Think I'll go with God on this one.

Upvote 0

YHWH_will_uplift

Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2016
California
✟163,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
You say the evening = sunset and the day stops at evening, while God includes the evening in with, as part of the day, as in "The evening and the morning were the first day". How can that not be clear?

Think I'll go with God on this one.
*face palm* do not confuse the evening by fslsely connecting it to the night time! Evening does not equal night. I never denied but, rather affirmed that morning and evening are a part of the light/day period. What I did say is that morning is the beginning of the day and evening is the end of the day. Contrast this with Jesus' parable of the workers in Matthew 20:1-9 ff. where Jesus declares the day to begin in the morning and be followed by the evening.

Upvote 0