For our Australian Friends.. implications or advantages?

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I doubt this second version would pass the senate, and by the time it has come to the senate it will be less stupid than it is now.

Also, the Guardian examples are not quite right, the 2nd version allows a doctor/nurse to deny a procedure, not a person. So for example they cannot deny hormone treatment just to LGBT, they would have to deny all hormone treatments to everyone, and show that was religious based denial.

• Informative
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I doubt this second version would pass the senate, and by the time it has come to the senate it will be less stupid than it is now.

That is a hopeful thought.

Also, the Guardian examples are not quite right, the 2nd version allows a doctor/nurse to deny a procedure, not a person. So for example they cannot deny hormone treatment just to LGBT, they would have to deny all hormone treatments to everyone, and show that was religious based denial.

In Canada a doctor/nurse would be allowed to say "Due to my religious convictions I cannot do that for you but I will refer you Dr. Whoever." The referral cannot be denied.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
In Canada a doctor/nurse would be allowed to say "Due to my religious convictions I cannot do that for you but I will refer you Dr. Whoever." The referral cannot be denied.

To be really honest Australia is enough of a secular society that the end result of this will be religious oriented medical practitioners losing patients. Healthcare by and large is an inelastic demand, but choice of doctor isn't. Because of the universal coverage of the Australian system I can go to literally any GP in the country and receive the same subsidy/"insurance". My gut feeling is this piecer of pandering to the religious right will have little to no effect beyond insensitive thugs being given leave to be insensitive thugs on social media.

In addition, there's wording about any comments being constructive and not vilifying. My crystal ball says watch the courts to work out what that ends up meaning.

• Informative
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0