Legend
Jul 22, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟30,691.00
Faith
Catholic
Hi Steve and Dave, :)

Forget LSU and (what's that other one?)....

GO USC GO!!!

(my husband graduated from USC... so of course, we route for them). :)
Hi Diane. :wave:

USC is a disappointment this year. I would have thought they'd be playing in the Championship game.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
You really think they'll be there? I don't know

I think it would work like this:

LSU wins out.

Oklahoma dominates Kansas in the big 12 championship game. Wins by about 3 scores and does not give up over 28 points.

Then they could go from 3 to 2 and be in the Championship game.

Just a guess....who knows with the arcane mathematics of the BCS.

Upvote 0

Skripper

Legend
Jul 22, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟30,691.00
Faith
Catholic
I think it would work like this:

LSU wins out.

Oklahoma dominates Kansas in the big 12 championship game. Wins by about 3 scores and does not give up over 28 points.

Then they could go from 3 to 2 and be in the Championship game.

Just a guess....who knows with the arcane mathematics of the BCS.
What about Oregon? ;)

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
What about Oregon? ;)

I think they deserve the chance to play for the championship. But they have no conference championship so that will hurt them since Oklahoma and Kansas will have an extra game. And if they are close enough in the BCS math and Oklahoma buries the last undefeated team then it should be enough (along with some Midwest writers votes given them some traction in the human polls) to get the Sooners in the game.

But I want to see LSU vs Oregon. That would be a fast paced game.

But Kansas or Oklahoma could both make it into #2 because there is no pac-10 championship game for Oregon to showcase against a top ranked opponent.

I am shocked Ohio State only dropped to #7 in the other polls. I thought they would go down to like 12 or lower.

Upvote 0

Skripper

Legend
Jul 22, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟30,691.00
Faith
Catholic
I agree about the conference championship games. That definitely gives those teams that have them (and win them) two advantages. One, like you said, an extra game (and an extra win). And two, it's better to not have quite as long of a lay-off between your last regular season game and the BCS game. For example, Florida last year. Not only did their conference championship game help them to leap-frog Michigan, I think it helped them maintain an edge for the championship game as well. They smoked an OSU team that many didn't even give them a chance of competing with, let alone beating (and certainly not in such convincing style).

Upvote 0

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The Sooners are going to have to take care of business on their end, and get a little bit of help. Kansas being ranked #3 is no problem. OU will take care of them in the Championship game. I'd much prefer Kansas beating Missouri in their upcoming game, because that will favor the Sooners in "strength of schedule" matchups in upcoming games (we've already beaten Missouri once), and if OU then beats KU, we'll jump up to #3. Then, we really do need Oregon or LSU to lose. LSU obviously has the harder route to go, with the SEC championship game. Though, I hope they "overlook" Arkansas. I think Georgia (rather than Tennessee) has the better shot at beating LSU. However, this upcoming week, Oregon plays Arizona ... who is coached by Mike Stoops, the brother of Bob Stoops who is Oklahoma's head coach. You don't think Bob is calling in a favor this week? Maybe Arizona can pull up the upset, or maybe the instate rivalry game at the end of the year with the Beavers might be Oregon's undoing.

If all three teams (LSU, Oregon and OU) win out ... I'm afraid it may be LSU vs. Oregon in the BCS Championship game. Which, while it'd stink for us OU fans, it would be a bit of justice ... like when we lost in the Big XII Championship game but still made the BCS Championship ... only to get demolished. So we've had our shots before, and blew them.

Upvote 0

Skripper

Legend
Jul 22, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟30,691.00
Faith
Catholic
I didn't realize OU lost the Big 12 Championship game the year they went to the BCS Championship. I just remember them being in the BCS Championship and losing (big) to USC (I probably jinxed them by betting on them). How did that happen? Were they ranked number 1 before the Big 12 Championship game? And only dropped one slot with the loss? Was it a really close game or something?

Upvote 0

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I didn't realize OU lost the Big 12 Championship game the year they went to the BCS Championship. I just remember them being in the BCS Championship and losing (big) to USC (I probably jinxed them by betting on them). How did that happen? Were they ranked number 1 before the Big 12 Championship game? And only dropped one slot with the loss? Was it a really close game or something?
Actually in 2003 Oklahoma was undefeated until the Big XII Championship game and was upset by Kansas State. Didn't matter though, OU remained #1 in the BCS Bowl and went on to lose to LSU that year (in a game that while it looked close in the score, and we actually had a chance to win it ... were outplayed almost the entire game). In 2004, we just plain got whooped.

WIKI blurb on 2003 season said:
Three BCS teams finished with one loss, and the system had to choose two to play in the title game. USC had lost a triple overtime thriller at California on September 27. LSU lost at home to Florida on October 11. Oklahoma had been #1 in every BCS rating[1], AP and coaches' poll[2] of the season, but then lost badly to Kansas State in the Big 12 title game on December 6. USC finished #1 in both polls, but both USC and LSU fell short on several computer factors. Oklahoma had better schedule strength (11 to LSU's 29 and USC's 37), schedule rank (0.44 to LSU's 1.16 and USC's 1.48), and quality wins (neither LSU or USC had any quality wins). As such, despite the timing of Oklahoma's loss affecting the human voters, the computers kept Oklahoma at #1 in the BCS poll, with LSU and USC separated by only 0.16 points.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Actually in 2003 Oklahoma was undefeated until the Big XII Championship game and was upset by Kansas State. Didn't matter though, OU remained #1 in the BCS Bowl and went on to lose to LSU that year. In 2004, we just plain got whooped.

That was the year people were calling them the greatest team ever right? I remember a debate over: "Could they beat the Bengals" who were horrible at the time. Jason White was their Quarterback. They were throwing up unbelievable scores on people. They lost to LSU that year and then USC the next year in the Championship. And that is why in 2005 versus Texas everyone was saying USC could three-peat, because they viewed them as co-champs from 2003 and champs from 2004. Even though all USC ever did was really...win one. They had a one-peat. :)

That was also one of Penn State's very bad seasons when everyone turned against Joe. Sorry but working up here, my time line is based around Penn State. :)

This is why I love College Football and Pro-Baseball. So many story lines and so much history year to year.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
That was the year people were calling them the greatest team ever right?
Yep. It was their highest scoring team in Oklahoma history (and this coming from a team who's greatest coach [Barry Switzer] used to say "Let's go hang half a hundred on our opponent today!") . That year, they scored 601 points, and only allowed 214. They whooped Texass A&M that year 77-0, and Texass by 65-13 (the best OU/TU game ever!). Jason White won the Heisman that year as well. Unfortunately at the end of that year, they began to believe the hype, and it cost them. I remember listening to that Big XII Championship game on the radio ... it was a very cold, dark night.

Upvote 0

edie19

Legend
Site Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
NW Ohio (almost Michigan)
Visit site
✟91,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Me too. I just would prefer if Nick Saban was still there . . . being a MICHIGAN man (whether State or U of M). ;)

Even still, I'm happy for them. :)

He was at the University of Toledo first:thumbsup:

I followed him at MSU too - my sister is an alum. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Then at LSU - my husband has been a LSU fan for years.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

we just plain like the teams he's coached.;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Status
Not open for further replies.