Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Greek word is dunamis which means power, strength, might. That word comes out of dunamai which means to be able. Yet again, another verse that is saying that with God, we can do all things. God makes all things possible for us!

Upvote 0

Sunshinee777

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2020
Finland
✟168,856.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
The Greek word is dunamis which means power, strength, might. That word comes out of dunamai which means to be able. Yet again, another verse that is saying that with God, we can do all things. God makes all things possible for us!

Yes He does, Amen!

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.”

2 Timothy 1:7

I have been thinking a lot what this ”power” means in this verse. I know it can mean many things but what does it mean to you?

The power to be courageous i.e. unafraid of being ridiculed or attacked or persecuted for being a follower of Christ.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, Paul wrote this to Timothy, possibly in order to encourage Timothy not to be afraid of people who threaten and attack Timothy for ministering the Gospel.

He says not to fear, but we have power. I would say people often fear because they feel they do not have power to deal with something. So, Paul is saying yes you have power to deal with any problem, at all, any people, at all.

And I think of how David says >

"You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;" (in Psalm 23:5)

So, because of God's power and all-control, David could have all that our Father shared with David, of God's own table prepared for David, and any enemies, at all, could be present, and no enemy could make David miss out on any good which our Father pleased to share with David.

And this almighty power . . . God's power . . . is in His love with His loving which Jesus commands. Plus, we are sound in our minds, in this love.

In 1 Peter 3:1-4 > I see that the "gentle and quiet spirit" of God's love is "incorruptible". If it is "incorruptible", this means there is almighty power to keep any evil power from corrupting the "gentle and quiet spirit" of God's love.

So, you have real soundness with stability, not by fighting and arguing and complaining and guilt-tripping and threatening and charming, but by staying gentle and quiet with Jesus . . . in His almighty power of His peace.

And what is really in you can spread to make others the same way.

And in this same scripture, then, you might see why it is that a Christian wife can win a disobedient husband, "without a word". What is in her, if this is almighty in God's "gentle and quiet spirit", can spread deeply to effect her husband to become obedient to Jesus.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: rocknanchor
Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟987,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I have been thinking a lot what this ”power” means in this verse. I know it can mean many things but what does it mean to you?
Christian wife can win a disobedient husband, "without a word"
The 'piece of God' speaks daily without a word. I would venture, He speaks directly to every weakness we think bars His effectiveness. We tend to think, 'Not me!' But that same hidden power is just one more featured traits of God and his kingdom, whether vocal or not.

But to pick up on 'power' itself? Overwhelming many times over in the natural, lest that piece of God wishes to take us on that journey? :)

• Winner
Reactions: quietbloke
Upvote 0

Sunshinee777

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2020
Finland
✟168,856.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
To me it means everything that im not naturally and so much more that i dont know. Confidence right now. And as i grow, more meaning will be realized im sure.

I can relate to this completely. God is blessing us daily, even when we don’t always notice. Even tribulation can become blessing when we see things how God sees things.

Upvote 0